Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
fmedina

Default 1935 Phaeton rear end wood parts

Hello, I need a little more information about the wood parts that the 1935 Phaeton have behind the rear seat back. My car only has the rear tack rail.

A FordBarn member kindly send me photos and information about three pieces of wood that I need (Lots of thanks Jim), and that are shown on this photo

I need wood parts #1 and #2, anybody can send me more information and photos of this area on 35 Phaetons?
Anybody know a vendor that might have them?
Best regards,
Fredys
fmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1935 Phaeton rear end wood parts

Fredys,

You're making great progress. Congratulations!

Here's another photo of the area in question, but I'm not sure that it adds much to what you already have. All of the wood in the car in the photo is original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48-750 010.jpg (36.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg July 2, 2915 CD transfer 149.jpg (57.1 KB, 82 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
fmedina

David,

Thank you for cheer me up, still a long way ahead, but I hope to finish this year.

Do you know if there are any vendor that sell those wood parts? Or anybody that can send me a drawing on a paper to make a template and fabricate new ones?

Regards,

Fredys
Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Brads Wood Shop [email protected] or give Brad a call 360-378-3886 He may be able to help. He doesn't seem to list the Phaeton rear body wood parts in his old catalog but he is willing to duplicate.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
DavidG

My recent experience with Brad's work was less than impressive. In making '33-'34 phaeton/roadster cowl and front door wood, he deviates substantially from the originals, evidently either thinking he has a better idea or doing it differently to make it easier for himself. The result was a need for substantial modifications to the wood, especially in the cowl top wood where the windshield post brackets fit, to render it usable in practice.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
DavidG

Fredys,

I have a set of the original wood pieces (for patterns) that you seek that I could measure and photograph for you, but the timing is poor as I could not get to them until early in the month of May. If you do find an alternative in the interim, please send me a reminder note in late April.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
rcr

here at least, the floor panel is available: http://www.fordscript.com/wood/catal...2_complete.pdf
rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Fredys, You're making great progress. Congratulations!
Hi Fredys, I second David's reply! I could not believe the fine degree of work that you have put into this car based on all the pictures that you emailed to me. Over a year ago, possibly a couple years ago, when you first contacted me about parts needed, I had no idea back then that you would be going this deep into a restoration on this '35 Phaeton!! I need to go back and review your last email on parts needed so we can possibly help you get this "baby" in the done column . Very nice work based on these latest pictures posted here!

I have a friend who is restoring either a '35 or a '36 Phaeton as well, (CRS strikes again on the exact year), and he is personally making all the wood, like you are looking for, for his own car. He was forced to do this because all of the repro wood that he has purchased would not fit, and was actually way off the mark. This is just a word of caution here on what and where you decide when it comes to purchaseping your repro wooden items. Also, I could provide this persons phone number to you IF you would like to speak directly to him, but I will need to contact him first to get his okay on giving out his phone number.

Good luck and make sure you post pictures of the final restoration here on FB.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-05-2016 at 11:30 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
fmedina

Thanks for cheering me up .
John it would be good if your friend could help me, please send me a PM with his contact details. Also wait for the list of parts that you have.
David thanks for your offer, if I haven’t solve this issue I’ll send you a reminder note on April, but hope to solve as soon as possible.
RCR I think that Roy only has the part number #3, but I have sent an email today to know if he can help me. Great guy Roy Nacewicz, he's giving me great support on this project.
Terry, thanks for Brads Wood Shop contact, I’ll send an email to know if it have original patterns and what he can do, and then compare with the rest of options.
I put some pictures of some areas of my car before, and after.
Regards,
Fredys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phaeton Interior.jpg (65.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg piso despues delante 1.jpg (64.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Inner fender.jpg (60.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Brads Wood Shop [email protected] or give Brad a call 360-378-3886 He may be able to help. He doesn't seem to list the Phaeton rear body wood parts in his old catalog but he is willing to duplicate.
When I called Brad for wood for my phaeton he said he basically had a few pieces that interchange with a roadster available and that was it. He showed no interest in making anything else and I got the impression he was working towards retiring.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
uncle buck

Has anybody here had any experience with:

http://www.fordwood.com/phtn1935-36wood.htm

The Cubels
Henry and Anna
2nd Generation Family Owned and Operated
Phone: 435-749-0037
Fax: 435-687-9239
P.O. Box 1401
Huntington, Utah 84528 [email protected]
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
Viv W

Hi Fredys,
I'm following your progress with interest. I'm also restoring a 35 Phaeton in Zimbabwe, my car was a complete basket case, with no doors, only one B pillar and ALL the cars wood had been eaten by white ants.
I found remains of a 36 roadster body and salvaged enough sample wood to do the cowl. I managed to buy 4 doors with enough wood to copy, but I too am looking for rear tub and front seat wood to copy.
I have lots of pictures of the woodwork (but fitted in the car), that I can email you, if you can pm me your email address please.
If anyone out there has some original wood they are prepared to lend or sell me, I would be happy to make new ones.
Please get in touch
Best regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
Has anybody here had any experience with:

http://www.fordwood.com/phtn1935-36wood.htm

The Cubels
Henry and Anna
2nd Generation Family Owned and Operated
Phone: 435-749-0037
Fax: 435-687-9239
P.O. Box 1401
Huntington, Utah 84528 [email protected]
We have been waiting for a year now for some 1934 phaeton rear tub wood strips from the above. They ceased to answer phone calls and emails and had promised numerous times that we were "on the list" and would let us know when they could start. They wanted money up front even though they had a backlog of two to three months. We were happy to send a check when we knew when work would commence. No joy after one year.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
DavidG

I will inquire if the fellow who does Roy Nacewicz's wood offerings is willing to make the desired pieces from my original patterns. His wood work is excellent. If feasible, that could arranged well before May as both the required cast of characters and the patterns are all located within an hour's drive in southeastern Michigan.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #15
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I will inquire if the fellow who does Roy Nacewicz's wood offerings is willing to make the desired pieces from my original patterns. His wood work is excellent. If feasible, that could arranged well before May as both the required cast of characters and the patterns are all located within an hour's drive in southeastern Michigan.
DavidG, If it would help , I would be interested in the pieces too. It would be an opportunity for Roy to expand his offerings.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:01 AM   #16
DavidG

That would make four sets based on the above and PMs received. Roy will ask, but there are some major projects already underway that will result in there being some delay before he has an answer.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
uncle buck

DavidG , Do you happen to have any updates on this?
Thanks , Dave
Old 02-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #18
DavidG

None yet; sorry.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
uncle buck

thank you for responding
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #20
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
We have been waiting for a year now for some 1934 phaeton rear tub wood strips from the above. They ceased to answer phone calls and emails and had promised numerous times that we were "on the list" and would let us know when they could start. They wanted money up front even though they had a backlog of two to three months. We were happy to send a check when we knew when work would commence. No joy after one year.
To update this message, After one year and four months the rear wood for a 1934 phaeton has arrived. I might add that with some fitting work yet to be accomplished we are happy with the result. Anna Cubel has explained that they have been trying to overcome health issues and that her Dad has come to the rescue. If you can afford the time, they are the only option available.