Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default 1940 Door Windows

I'm getting ready to install the door windows in a 1940 pickup. I've bought the stuff from the dealers. The new front channels are wide enough to allow the glass to move around, whereas the originals have additional material filling up the gap. Do I need something else to fill the gap? I've searched through the site, but couldn't find an answer to this question. Thanks - Larry Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window1a.jpg (85.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Window2a.jpg (87.4 KB, 50 views)
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1940 Door Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
I'm getting ready to install the door windows in a 1940 pickup. I've bought the stuff from the dealers. The new front channels are wide enough to allow the glass to move around, whereas the originals have additional material filling up the gap. Do I need something else to fill the gap? I've searched through the site, but couldn't find an answer to this question. Thanks - Larry Young
Larry, please, do me a favor and measure accurately the outer width of each channel at the bottom (no cloth). In the photo, it appears as if the repop channel is formed wider than the authentic channel.
Measure just over the radii on the outside.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:19 PM   #3
Cartravel

The originals have some sort of coating that you can see chipping off in these photos. There's also some variation in the remnants that I've got. The width measurement you asked about is 0.65 on the repro and 0.57 to 0.63 on various originals. The big difference is in thickness of the felt on the repros compared to the material used on the originals. Between the felt strips on the repros, the width is about 0.49 whereas the glass is only 1/4" thick. There's a lot of room for the glass to move around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window4a.jpg (83.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Window3a.jpg (100.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
The originals have some sort of coating that you can see chipping off in these photos. There's also some variation in the remnants that I've got. The width measurement you asked about is 0.65 on the repro and 0.57 to 0.63 on various originals. The big difference is in thickness of the felt on the repros compared to the material used on the originals. Between the felt strips on the repros, the width is about 0.49 whereas the glass is only 1/4" thick. There's a lot of room for the glass to move around.
Thanks for the response with the measurements. The measurements being what they are, indicate a poor reproduction.
It seems to me that you may be able to glue another layer of felt to the existing layer of the repop channels.
When I'd restored the '40 PU, I did not encounter this issue.
You can also purchase the "whisker" material (sorry, I don't know the proper term) and glue that in place. That would most likely make up the extra layer needed nicely.

Attempting to make up a total of nearly a 1/4" gap is a lot. Let me guess, Vintique?
Old 01-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
Doublepumper

I just installed channels and glass into my '46. My truck has the metal surround around the glass and fits perfectly into those box channels. I would assume the channels will need filling for glass without the metal surround. Adding felt to compensate may be the answer to making this work. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
Cartravel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Kube and Doublepumper,
Thanks for the response. The metal surround is probably the answer. These repros are not designed for a '40, but most of the vendor sell them for it. I'd call this false advertising.