Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
draggin49

Default Question for those running a Columbia rear ..

Anyone running a Columbia in their 32 Ford?? I recently purchased the Columbia side that I’m gonna have it sent off to John Connelly to be completely gone through/rebuilt. My question is this : what else do I need to make it work in a 1932 Ford roadster? On the other side that mates up to the Columbia what year axle do I need to use ? I thought I read somewhere that the stock 32 axle can’t be used and I would need some ford axle further into the 1930s.
My 32 is completely stock as far as motor/trans/rear end etc
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: Question for those running a Columbia rear ..

I'd ask John Connelly.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
jimTN

You will need to use 32 housings on both sides to get the correct spring and rear end position. The C side will have to have the 32 housing grafted to it and there will have to be a spacer plate made also. Providing your 32 has the later center section with scalloped torque tube end, you can use your TT and may have to get an adapter for the drive shaft sleeve. All that done, it will bolt in like the original.
jimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Newc

Hi; Generally you use a 33/34 under the '32's. Scalloped end on torque tube, and late '32 tube length. Lots of old posts on Fordbarn. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #5
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
I'd ask John Connelly.
I got in touch with John , he referred me to a gentleman by the name of Joe Longobardi . He told me Joe has worked on these for decades . Luckily Joe is also in CA , so it should be a little easier for me.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #6
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
You will need to use 32 housings on both sides to get the correct spring and rear end position. The C side will have to have the 32 housing grafted to it and there will have to be a spacer plate made also. Providing your 32 has the later center section with scalloped torque tube end, you can use your TT and may have to get an adapter for the drive shaft sleeve. All that done, it will bolt in like the original.
I checked , my 32 rear has the earlier style rear ( not the scalloped end torque tube)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
jimTN

I do not remember if the early housings will fit the later center but believe they will not. You may have to get a 33-3 rear end for the housings, center section, drive shaft and torque tube. Torque tube and driveshaft will have to be then shortened to 32 spec. Finding a late 32 would be difficult.
jimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
deuce lover

Joe should give you good advice.What year Columbia housing did you acquire? Your car still have mechanical brakes? The 35-36 Columbia's might be the one to use.You will still have the curved spring issue to deal with and shortening the torque tube and driveshaft.It will be a costly conversion.

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-13-2018 at 09:19 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
cas3

i have a 32-34 center section if you cant find one locally. you then could put the splined end on your old drive shaft and be done
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

There are multiple options - depending on how much you want it to look like an original 32 style rear, 32 style spring mounts, etc.. Regardless of the approach - it will be expensive as there will be a lot of cutting, splicing, aligning and grafting going on (in multiple places).

If you stick with the late 32 - 34 center section, then things will be the MOST easy (and still not easy). You'll need a spacer plate that is made to increase the width of the center section to match the later ones. You'll need to have the Columbia housing cut and grafted to the 32 - 34 passenger side housing. As you'll probably NOT find a late 32 rear, you'll be taking the longer torque tube from the 33-34 and cutting it and the driveshaft to match the shorter 32 length. I'm thinking out loud here, but I believe the now cut/spiced/grafted right axle housing will need to be shorter than the original 32 was - to make up for the adapter plate in the center section. This would seem to be necessary or the axle will be too short.

Joe Longobardi should be able to take care of you - and he manufactures some really nice replacement parts for the Columbia (8620 steel stuff) - that can really improve the strength.

The biggest challenge will be a lot of time (of somebody's) and a lot of money (of yours!). Good luck!

D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #11
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
There are multiple options - depending on how much you want it to look like an original 32 style rear, 32 style spring mounts, etc.. Regardless of the approach - it will be expensive as there will be a lot of cutting, splicing, aligning and grafting going on (in multiple places).

If you stick with the late 32 - 34 center section, then things will be the MOST easy (and still not easy). You'll need a spacer plate that is made to increase the width of the center section to match the later ones. You'll need to have the Columbia housing cut and grafted to the 32 - 34 passenger side housing. As you'll probably NOT find a late 32 rear, you'll be taking the longer torque tube from the 33-34 and cutting it and the driveshaft to match the shorter 32 length. I'm thinking out loud here, but I believe the now cut/spiced/grafted right axle housing will need to be shorter than the original 32 was - to make up for the adapter plate in the center section. This would seem to be necessary or the axle will be too short.

Joe Longobardi should be able to take care of you - and he manufactures some really nice replacement parts for the Columbia (8620 steel stuff) - that can really improve the strength.

The biggest challenge will be a lot of time (of somebody's) and a lot of money (of yours!). Good luck!

D
Haha, that last quote is definitely accurate . Thanks for the input as far as outlining a lot of what I will need to have done . It definitively sounds like a lot of work but it still seems like the Columbia will be the best of both worlds for my 32 (stock low gears , and a tall overdrive gear ) .
Old 05-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #12
deuce lover

You might want to look into the Mitchell overdrive set up.It mounts on the torque tube. That way your complete rear section is usable.They are located in Calif (Chico?).They supply everything and include a 2yr guarantee and last time I looked it was about $2200.
Here is a link to them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8D-M7jAeN0GOLF
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #13
draggin49

I will do some searching and reading up on the Mitchell. Only reason I really was leaning towards a Columbia originally was due to trying to use all old parts on it. The Mitchell definitely is a lot cheaper and way more simple . I guess I will have to really sit down and think about what to do.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 AM   #14
deuce lover

Its going to get very involved doing a Columbia in your '32 unless you find someone selling the setup.Feedback has been good with the Mitchell and they are super helpful.I was considering one for my '33 but getting it here in Europe really runs the cost up along with import duties of about 20%.I plan on putting a set of the 3.54's in it instead.When I lived in SoCal I had a bone stock '34 with 3.54's a '35 tudor & '36 coupe with 3.54's.Went to the V8 meet in St George,UT in 2010 so there were 3 mountain passes.That was with the '36 coupe-warmed over flatty powered 70 mph all the way.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
draggin49

Yeah, the Columbia is significantly more complicated than I had originally thought it would be to make work in my 32.I will have to double check what year Columbia housing I have .
Guess I’m gonna have to think over which route I’m gonna go.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
JR48

I have dealt with Joe Longobardi and can recommend him as an honest and communicative guy. He was very helpful and I've put the reconditioned Columbia I purchased from him under my 34 cabriolet restoration and can't wait to try it out.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
moonlight graham

Joe built my Columbia, it works fantastic. He has several parts CNC'ed on a 5-Axis machine so you dont need to have the cast iron section "banded"

Geoffrey
moonlight graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 AM   #18
draggin49

JR48 and moonlight graham I appreciate the feedback of your experience with Joe . I can tell I will be in good hands . I’m excited to get it done, it will make my 32 way more useable /enjoyable. As is I gotta avoid the freeway so it’ll be nice to be able to jump on and cruise along at low rpms.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin49 View Post
JR48 and moonlight graham I appreciate the feedback of your experience with Joe . I can tell I will be in good hands . I’m excited to get it done, it will make my 32 way more useable /enjoyable. As is I gotta avoid the freeway so it’ll be nice to be able to jump on and cruise along at low rpms.
The Columbia will make a big difference on your freeway possibilities - as long as you have the torque/power to pull it. It won't help you on steeper grades (unless you have an 'enhanced' amount of power).

One thing to think about on freeways is what type of brake system do you have? The Columbia might make high speed freeway driving possible - just make sure you have the brake system and tires to stop it (I'd highly recommend you get rid of bias-ply tires if you're still running them). That is the reason I'm changing over from my 32 mechanical brakes (all in fine shape) to a Lincoln style hydraulic setup -- I need to be able to stop the thing!

This is especially true in places like SoCal - where the freeways are extremely crowded and you can't actually create a "safe" following distance between you and the car in front of you - as people keep "filling the gap". So, it becomes all the more important to make sure your WHOLE system is up to the task (and you as a driver).

Best of luck,
D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
draggin49

Bored and stroked , you are 100% right . With the increased speed better braking is a very smart choice . I actually had Brian Bass from Bass Kustom build me a custom set of 1940s ford brakes for the front and the rear I just haven’t installed them yet . When I do the Columbia swap and brakes I’m also installing a really cool early mcculloch supercharger and some other speed equipment, so it should give me a little bump in the power department.
I think I am gonna do the F1 steering upgrade as well while I am doing all the other stuff .