Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Gwill65074

Default Pros and cons of swapping model A distributor with model B

I've looked hi and lo on the site to find the pros and cons of using a model B distributor and I must be using the wrong search terminology. Anyway, can someone educate me on the pros and cons of swapping my model A distributor with a model b stock distributor? Thanks, Glen
Gwill65074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Hicktick

Default Re: Pros and cons of swapping model A distributor with model B

All you have to do is type in model b dist , in the search at the top of the page and 239 threads show up .

Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Bob C

Vince's has information on his site. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdistributoradvance.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Gwill65074

Thanks Bob
Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Terry,NJ

I first got a B Dist a while ago and was eager to hook it up. I was just too busy, but I read everything I could about it and after reading all of it, I came to the conclusion it was much ado about very little. Someone said the B dist. doesn't advance enough. Others pointed out the problems with the B's timing gear cover. Those are the main "Cons", what's the Pros? Is there any? Lotsa fitutzin just to get rid of the timing lever!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Gwill65074

Thanks Terry
Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Glen,

FWIW, lots of technical information already posted on Model A Forums; however, just one pro & con opinion after many years of successfully trying & swapping out both.

1. A vs. B Distributer:

a. Both can perform perfectly if one knows what he/she is doing.

b. Maybe a comparison would be like, with an A distributor, if you can really play a fiddle in a band, go for it & play it; however, if you have slight difficulty playing the fiddle, (like adjusting the A spark advance distributor timing), just insert a CD in your player to listen to fiddle music without playing it ...... likewise, install & allow the B distributor to do the different fiddling & proper timing for starts, low speed, high speed, & climbing steep inclines.

c. B distributors properly timed can also be great if you occasionally allow slightly uninformed others to both start & drive your Model A. As compared to manual spark advance A distributors with inexperienced drivers, with automatic timing B on properly timed distributors ........... absolutely no worry about broken starter springs or attaching bolts; no friend's or children's broken arms if hand cranked; & no Babbitt bearing pounding all which can easily be caused by inexperience operators with improper manual timing.

d. In very heavy urban stop & go traffic, rather than fiddling with a spark advance lever, allow the B distributor to advance & retard timing for optimum performance at all RPM's & quicker properly timed pick up ability.

e. B distributors have been & may still be criticized by Model A purists as not being authentic; however, if found in this predicament, if you like, just carry a spare A distributor to change out in minutes to avoid having to witness multiple Model A purists heart attacks.

f. Maybe for extra protection, if not enough time for a quick distributor change out, also carry a folding ladder so if crucified for having a B distributor, somebody can climb up & take you off of the cross.

g. In the mean time, at this time in life, with my 3 sons & a daughter possibly driving now & then, the B distributor stays on & I don't have to remind them of anything.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Gwill65074

Than you, this helps a lot. Glen
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

For better performance than the B distributor can give, I installed Mallory dual point distributors in two of our model A's. My girls don't have a bit of problem with the Mallory distributor. The Mallory dual point distributors have been the most trouble free distributors that I have ever used with any engine.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Gwill65074

I have a brand new Mallory dual point, YL 11A2 that I got with a bunch of parts I bought. It's never been installed. Are parts hard to get for them? How would I set up the timing? Anything else I should know. Glen
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Jim Huseby

Hey Glen- Come drive my CCPU with B dist. when you bring your speedster over.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwill65074 View Post
I have a brand new Mallory dual point, YL 11A2 that I got with a bunch of parts I bought. It's never been installed. Are parts hard to get for them? How would I set up the timing? Anything else I should know. Glen
Setting the timing with a Mallory distributor is fairly easy.. The easiest way is when the timing pin drops in place, where ever the rotor tip is pointing will be number one time. The distributor can easily be rotated as in modern cars and set the plug wires as needed. The firing order is 1243 . I tune mine by ear, some buy a kit and use a timing light . I set mine as advanced as I can without starter kickback when cranking and no timing knocks. A little tweaking or rotating as needed with the timing will get er done, works for me. Usually the rotor tip ends up pointing where number 4 would normally be. If you want number one timing to be where it would be with the model A distributor , it will be more complicated. You will need to remove the valve cover and the oil pump and distributor drive assembly. With the drive assembly removed, you can stick a long straight blade screwdriver down through the head and down to the oil pump and turn the pump as needed for the drive assembly to align as necessary for the rotor to align as wanted. The points cam isn't adjustable on the Mallory distributors.

The only part that I have ever needed with my Mallory distributors was the condenser. I am using Ford V8 condensers with mine., the same condenser used with the so called modern points that the model A venders sell.. Bubbas ignition has Mallory parts but I don't have an address or phone number.

I got my first Mallory distributor from Harrys model A parts in Oregon in the early 90s . Harry told me that They had run these distributors for over 30.000 miles without having to do anything. Mine have been trouble free. This is the distributor that was used in the dyno tests with the Brumfield heads back in the ninties. The dual point Mallory was shown to give horsepower increases at low to mid RPM range. I had installed float-A-motor mounts in the coupe and there was quiet a bit of cl;utch chatter when taking off. After installing the Mallory distributor, the chatter went away completely. I was talking to Ken Miller and he felt that the Mallory distributor advanced so smoothly that it removed the chatter. Just an example of the smoothness of the advance.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Gwill65074

Thanks Guys, will do Jim, see you tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Duffy1

Do you still get taca-taca-taca-taca with the B dist.?
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Do you still get taca-taca-taca-taca with the B dist.?
Yes, the sound comes from the muffler. Friend of mine had a Chevy II in his Model A and it sounded stock.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Posted about my B just about 3 days ago and my positive experience.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Glen,

FWIW in case you missed some of the Model B information in Forum "Search":

1. One caution with a Model B distributor is that the upper bronze bushing for the center rotating distributor shaft always blocks the horizontal round oil path from the side of the distributor to the center rotating shaft; hence, for providing correct distributor shaft oil lubrication, one must remove the spring loaded cylindrical oiler located on the side of the B distributor & drill a small hole in one side of the installed bronze bushing so oil can reach this vertically positioned rotating shaft.

2. Also, some of the Non-Ford vintage printed Motors Books of the 1930's era recommend that Model B distributor points be adjusted to have an 0.018" gap; however, Ford's original 1932 Model B manual recommends that the ignition point gap be set at between 0.018" to 0.022".

3. Appears better to always set the contact points at the greater recommended gap dimension of .022" so when the point's non-ferrous lug wears a little when resting on the lubricated, rotating Model B distributor cam, with later slight wear, the point gap will only close to maybe 0.020" or slightly less, & still meet Ford's recommended point gap setting of 0.018" to 0.022".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-27-2014 at 01:11 AM.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #18
Gwill65074

Thanks H.L.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Gabalus

I used Nu-rex handle to time my model B distributor on my model B engine but it's not perfect. My engine run smooth but no high rpm.
Gabalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalus View Post
I used Nu-rex handle to time my model B distributor on my model B engine but it's not perfect. My engine run smooth but no high rpm.
If ALL YOU DID was swap the distributor and it wont wind up now, the timing is retarded....remember how the 'A" ran with the spark pushed up?
Good luck!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #21
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
I first got a B Dist a while ago and was eager to hook it up. I was just too busy, but I read everything I could about it and after reading all of it, I came to the conclusion it was much ado about very little. Someone said the B dist. doesn't advance enough. Others pointed out the problems with the B's timing gear cover. Those are the main "Cons", what's the Pros? Is there any? Lotsa fitutzin just to get rid of the timing lever!
Terry
Some of the pros are:

I looks like a Model A distributor unless you look carefully and know the Model A.

Someone not familiar with the car won't start it with the spark advanced and break the Bendix.

Someone not familiar with the car won't wonder what the lever where the turn signal level is supposed to be, and while they are trying to figure out what the lever is they will wonder why the car doesn't run very fast.

Easier for your wife to drive. Trying to master double clutching is enough.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalus View Post
YOU do NOT have your B timed correctly then. the NU REX tool will NOT work at all to properly set the timing., Bob Gay has confirmed this...You need to do it by using the Pin in the proper hole and then setting it correctly.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
Chuck Sea/Tac

Just a thought. The C head had more compression, so the B distributor advance would be less, to compensate for that?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
Beater

good info here tagged
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote