Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
jbwthree

Default Brake Centering Challenges

Good morning and happy 4th all. I have a dilemma with my brakes that I can’t sort out. I am in the reassembly phase of a full brake rebuild and I’m having trouble getting the shoes centered. The drums and shoes were done by Randy Gross and I rebuilt the backing plates with new roller guides in the front and back. Everything checks out dimensionally near perfect on the backing plates. Upon assembly of the drivers front, I could see that the shoes were off center, biased upward by about .060”. I could get the drum on but it dragged even with the adjuster backed out. Passengers side centered and fit perfectly. Disassembled and rechecked the drivers side multiple times to no avail. I then moved to the drivers rear brake and had the same issue but worse, I can’t even fit the drum on. I then tried turning the head of the roller pins down about .020” to see if I could effect the centering. It seemed to help a little on the front but I’m still not close on the rear. I am at wits end - this is a simple assembly with very few degrees of freedom !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote