Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Displayman

Default Warning bad seller on FordBarn

I bought a pair of rear inner fenders of a Ford Barner.His ad said nice condition inner fenders NO RUST through.
He also said that his 4 door donor Ford's inner fenders would fit my 1947 Merc. convert.
He called me back to say he checked with some of his friends, and they would fit.
The fenders were shipped by Greyhound. took 8 days or so. Opened up the package, and there are rust holes threw on both inner fenders.
I called him to tell him and he said that that happen when he cut them off of the car. Don't you think he should of forwarned me? Or sent pictures, or reduced the $250.00 I paid for each inner fender?
His name is George Styron, his ads are from Missoula, Montana.
He has several ads on the Swap section right now.
Be very careful in dealing with this man. I paid via Square, I have contacted them to try to get some of my money back. He finally called me after 4 days, and said ship the parts back. My bodyman was hired to install these. He took them to his shop to repair the RUST holes and alter them to fit my car.George wouldn't call me for a couple of days. I paid $600 with the shipping, and I needed my car worked on. He should have called right away. BEWARE of what you buy from him. He is very bad for this hobby !!

Last edited by Displayman; 07-12-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add name os business NW Classics, Missoula, Mt.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Warning bad seller on FordBarn

It would certainly have been better had you not altered the inner fenders until the matter was resolved ! You are at an extreme disadvantage now. Do you have photographs of the condition they arrived in versus what he advertised ! Wayne
Old 07-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
700rpm

Agree with Wayne. Also, due diligence on your part would have required that you ask for pix before sending money. I think you're out of luck here.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Displayman

Yes I have pictures of the condition when I received them.
His add is still on the barn showing the panels.
I did see pictures of the inner fenders on the car. They looked fine,
He said that when he removed them they were damaged.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
brokenspoke

The way I see it he offered for you to return the parts....Its on you
Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
caboose

As the seller admitted, what he shipped to you was not what he advertised: thanks for the warning.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
mrtexas

How about the seller took the part off and must have noticed it had rust thru when he advertised it as no rust thru. This is dishonest to me as he didn't advise the seller before shipping. I get the impression some posters here aren't reading the OP thoroughly. Returning the parts at the buyers expense is hardly fair considering. When I sell parts I don't advertise it but I'll take anything back if the buyer isn't entirely satisfied if he pays shipping one way. If my mistake I pay shipping both ways. I am the only other one to see the dishonesty in this transaction?

Oh well I had a barner cheat me when I first got started here. I said I wanted 40 drums to go hydraulic. So the seller beat off the hubs with a BFH and sent me the ruined drums. Then he wanted double to send the hubs and charged me $5 gas twice to drop them off at the PO! Another delayed shipping for months. Well that is 2 out of hundreds of antique car parts transactions.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
How about the seller took the part off and must have noticed it had rust thru when he advertised it as no rust thru. This is dishonest to me as he didn't advise the seller before shipping. I get the impression some posters here aren't reading the OP thoroughly. Returning the parts at the buyers expense is hardly fair considering. When I sell parts I don't advertise it but I'll take anything back if the buyer isn't entirely satisfied if he pays shipping one way. If my mistake I pay shipping both ways. I am the only other one to see the dishonesty in this transaction?

Oh well I had a barner cheat me when I first got started here. I said I wanted 40 drums to go hydraulic. So the seller beat off the hubs with a BFH and sent me the ruined drums. Then he wanted double to send the hubs and charged me $5 gas twice to drop them off at the PO! Another delayed shipping for months. Well that is 2 out of hundreds of antique car parts transactions.
No, based on your story, I agree as well.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 07-12-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Is George Styron going to tell his side of the story ??? Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-14-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
modeleh

Sounds like some hasty decisions were made after receiving parts you were not happy with. A risk of buying sight unseen. You win some you lose some, but you can't really expect alot of sympathy after saying you were in a rush to have your bodyman work on them. I know for some this "hobby" is about buying parts and paying someone else to repair and install them but generally the restoration is of a higher quality if you take your time and don't rush things. See the parts in person before laying out the cash.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
The way I see it he offered for you to return the parts....Its on you
Your right he did make the offer, but that does not change the fact that they were advertised without rust holes and were shipped with rust holes. My feelings are that if the rust truly was discovered when they were removed contact should have been made BEFORE they were shipped.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
CarlG

I bought a horn here a while back. Advertised as NOS, never been installed. Of course, it wasn't, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
...You win some you lose some...
That's just the way it is with sight unseen parts.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 07-13-2015, 02:22 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
Sounds like some hasty decisions were made after receiving parts you were not happy with. A risk of buying sight unseen. You win some you lose some, but you can't really expect alot of sympathy after saying you were in a rush to have your bodyman work on them. I know for some this "hobby" is about buying parts and paying someone else to repair and install them but generally the restoration is of a higher quality if you take your time and don't rush things. See the parts in person before laying out the cash.
Absolutely correct ! Wayne
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
Steve_Mack_CT

Bummer, displayman. Thanks for the warning. I also think best approach is to take your lucks and move on as someone else suggests. Had a similar situation with a spotlight I bought from a giy in TN on the mtfca forum. He carefully photographed to hide major damage and I paid for good condition not crap. But if one will lie about the condition why would you believe that they will make good on it? Luckily rare especially with regular posters. A truly up and up guy would be a lot more proactive in trying to resolve and offer to give you a few dollars back, the easiest way to resolve the issue. Hopefully this doesn't dampen your desire to do business again as most of these things seem to work out fine.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
Steve_Mack_CT

Just curious why having work done vs. doing it ones self warrants to bad so sad vs. We should look out for each other? I know I am newly back here after a number of years but with friends on both end of the scale, I never could understand the thought that having some or all of the work done makes one less a hobbyist?

I could be dead wrong but guessing op had to make a decision and I might have done same, that doesn't change the concern if the items were misrepresented. :-(
Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Displayman

The fenders have not been altered as of yet.
I took pics of the fenders when they arrived with rust thru holes.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Displayman; 07-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #17
Displayman

He offered to let me return parts at my cost, less $200 for his labor to take them off of the car. The $500 I paid for these parts included his time to remove them.
He would give me back $300 and I paid 600 with freight plus another 100 for return.
Cost to me would be $700- he will return 300. Can't beat that.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
Displayman

Thanks for your input.
Bob-Hampshire, Ill.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Displayman

I had seen the pictures. Paid the man full price based on trust.
My body man is busy year because he is so talented. I usually do all
my small patches,rockers etc, but this is in a very visible place.
I had him lined up when the parts came in.$ days came and went with no reply from seller. I have since told him that I would return part as is if he will pay full refund and shipping back to him. He offered $300 and no shipping costs because of his 200 in labor to remove the fenders which was in the sale price already.
Thanks,
Bob-Hampshire, Il.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Read once where a very old Psychology Teacher entered a large class with a half glass of water whereby the young psychology students thought .... not again ..... same old worn out question .... Is the glass half full or half empty?

This old teacher asked for a volunteer whereby she handed the half glass of water to this very fit, young male student & asked this student to hold the glass outward with an extended arm.

She next asked if the half glass of water was heavy, whereby the student laughed and answered, "Not at all!"

Half way through class the student asked if he could put the glass down, and the old Psychology Teacher asked, "But why?"; whereby the young student responded that the half glass had become so very heavy, his arm was really hurting, and was even starting to become numb.

The old Teacher responded, "Well, OK .... and here is today's Psychology Lesson:

1. In life, we often acquire problems which are very bothersome.

2. The longer we hold on to this one problem, the worst it becomes to where we waste such valuable time allowing our entire body and brain to become focused on this one problem.

3. On the other hand, it seems it would be much better to concentrate on enjoying what is left in our very short lives ahead of us, and ......................... :

JUST DROP THE DAMN GLASS!

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-13-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread