Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Fuel Gage

What is the procedure and tool used to bend and set the gas indicator display? I saw the method awhile back. A length of band metal and how to do it.
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Fuel Gage

The first thing you would want to do is create a gas stick so that you know a gallon is a gallon and where it shows on your gauge.

5.5 gallons on a 30/31 should be exactly at a 1/2 tank on the dash. Drain the tank, put in a gallon and see where it is on the dash.

I use a stick and a piece of stiff wire to bend the float, either up or down to get it right on the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas stick marking stick 11 gal tank.jpg (18.4 KB, 125 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Synchro909

I figure the fuel gauge is really only important when you are about to run out of fuel. When the gauge is out of the tank, I bend the float wire so that the float is touching the bottom of the tank when the gauge reads "0". Anywhere above empty is purely of academic interest.
With things set that way, I know when I am getting low on fuel and I'd better start looking seriously for more when a give the steering wheel a yank and the slosh in there is not enough to get the gauge to even give a jiggle.
I know when it's full - I can see the fuel in the window.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I figure the fuel gauge is really only important when you are about to run out of fuel. When the gauge is out of the tank, I bend the float wire so that the float is touching the bottom of the tank when the gauge reads "0". Anywhere above empty is purely of academic interest.
With things set that way, I know when I am getting low on fuel and I'd better start looking seriously for more when a give the steering wheel a yank and the slosh in there is not enough to get the gauge to even give a jiggle.
I know when it's full - I can see the fuel in the window.
Be careful yanking on the steering wheel. The tank bottom attachment of the column is none too strong and is prone to causing leakage.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
larrys40

I have done hundreds of these with gas in tank and without. I always calibrate it to read full when the float is at the top. Make sure fuel is below the gauge and remove, service and replace cork gasket behind glass and insert the fuel gauge loosely and with a wire inserted or magnet to pull gauge wire up through filler hole when the gauge reads full when the float touches the top of the tank you are good. Bend float wire slightly by hand to adjust.

It’s that simple. No need to drain tank or add so many gallons or use a Stick. I don’t mean to
Throw out the other suggestions but if the float touches the top and is full you are good. When gauge reads 0 you still have gas but better have a station in your plan close.
As I said I’ve done literally hundreds and doing them is a staple.

If you can put your hands on an original Ford 5z wrench tool for the outer nut they are the best . After making sure your inner gauge (small gas gauge nut) is tight on the bench you are ready for the above calibration. Once done insert the gauge with a fresh cork gasket behind making sure the grooves are clean and free of any old material and insert the brass ring and outer nut and tighten well. An adjustment may be required if it moves.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I have done hundreds of these with gas in tank and without. I always calibrate it to read full when the float is at the top.

It’s that simple. No need to drain tank or add so many gallons or use a Stick. I don’t mean to throw out the other suggestions but if the float touches the top and is full you are good. When gauge reads 0 you still have gas but better have a station in your plan close.
Yes, very true. No need to overthink this.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
Mister Moose

I think there's only one calibration point that needs attention:

Factory calibrated amounts:
Full: This when the gas is at the top of the tank and the nozzle clicks off. Slowly add more gas until the fuel level is just below the filler neck.
Half full: This is when the gas level is visible in the sight glass.
Empty: This is when the car stops running.

What you really want to know is the "I need to get gas right away" reading. So put a can with a gallon of gas in it in your car and your gauge bender and drive it until it runs out. Add the gallon. Bend the gauge to the position of your liking. Now you know where a gallon is. You even have "a little less than a gallon", and "a little more than a gallon" readings. Or carry a wood stick with 1 3/4" marked on it and keep driving and checking until you have 1 3/4" fuel. Make note of what your gauge reads.

Simplicity rules the Model A.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
hazelhoff

What’s the way to bend the fuel gage wire, having everything installed ? I mean only having the filler neck to reach the wire ?
Old 09-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
hazelhoff

OK ! Gage adjusted/calibrated !

Everything installed, fuel tank fully filled. Make a little tool out of flat steel, like in the pictures below. Then start fishing for the cork wire, with a little help of a free finger. The bend the wire by moving the tool handle to the left or right, whatever your problem is.
My gage was indicating 3/4 instead of -F-. So I have had to twist the tool head some 20 degrees anti-clockwise to give it sufficient room to manouvre in the the gas neck.
if you have a gage which is indicating above -F- , tank filled, you twist the tool head clockwise 20 degrees.
Good luck ! A real time saver. Obviously for those of you who do not own a vise to make the tool, I would be more than happy to send you the tool at $ 150 including shipping all over the world. That would be $ 350 including a quality vise !

Haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9707.jpg (29.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9708.jpg (12.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9709.jpg (10.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

Adjusting the gauge is simple:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas Gauge Adjustment.jpg (72.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
hazelhoff

Thanks Bob, maybe I may be so frank to say my tool “beats the stick” ?
Old 09-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

hazelhoff, I like your your gadget for adjusting the gas gauge. Can I use your design in a presentation slide?
Old 09-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
TravisDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Adjusting the gauge is simple:

Thank you, Bob! We'll work on the new A project soon after we finished installing the bumper and winch on the truck and clear the garage. We'll start with the cluster and gauge.
TravisDM is offline   Reply With Quote