Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
shaefer

Default Starter motor fuse?

The link is to an image of a '30 with some sort of fuse on the starter motor. http://www.wallpaperup.com/141958/19..._engine_r.html

My question is what does this fuse do?

My hope is that it cuts out the starter in the event that the starter gets stuck ON...as happened to me recently for the first time in over 15 years.

Here was my issue...and it's good because I learned something new! I had a battery issue that forced me to change it out and tinker around a bit with the connections to clean everything up. When I hooked it all back up I noticed that the starter "button" (the foot button...sorry for not knowing the real name) seemed stuck....I couldn't move it.

I fiddled around a bit and then it came to life...AND WOULDN'T STOP! The starter was just spinning and spinning! Thank goodness I had the fuel off and was able to get the battery unhooked.

I took apart the mechanism on top of the starter (that the "button" goes into) and it was full of junk.

It's now totally cleaned up and I know all about how that works. But I am wondering if there is some kind of fuse I could install so that in the event this happens again I can just pull a fuse and not burn up my starter.

Any suggestions?

I am about to completely replace the wiring harness (that will be another thread) so this would be a good time to tackle such a thing if it exists.

Thanks!
I was born in 1982 and in 1989 my father found the perfect '31 Cabriolet. In 1997 he finally bought it and it became our favorite thing to do together. While my friends were buying Playstations and XBoxs, I was saving up for a muffler. 9 years later, while their game systems were gathering dust, I was picking my wife up for our first date in that car. I drive it to this day and I hope to keep it up so my son can enjoy it just the same. That's the joy of a Model A!
shaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Starter motor fuse?

The fuse on the starter is placed there just 'cause it's a convenient place. It protects everything EXCEPT the starter.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
P.S.

It is not practical to fuse the starter. However, if you head to your local West Marine store, there you will find fuses for hundreds of amps that have the same size hole in the tab ends as on your starter lug. Simply use a bolt on the other end for your battery cable.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The fuse on the starter is placed there just 'cause it's a convenient place. It protects everything EXCEPT the starter.

Actually, it is in circuit between the battery and the generator. It doesn't really protect anything except the wiring from complete meltdown if something shorts. The generator will be toast, but at least the wiring will usually survive.

Fuses for each thing is best. I fused the lights on one, horn on another, etc.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
klawockvet

A properly rated fuse wont blow just because the starter is spinning. The best solution is to put a battery disconnect in a convenient place. If its not a show car you can place it close to the battery and then kill all electric current in every system. If you hide the switch it works as a theft deterrent as well. Any good marine store will have battery disconnects in all shapes and sizes.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A wiring w fuse.jpg (97.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
shaefer

Ahh, okay. I am definitely going to fuse basically everything this time around. I really like the idea of a basic manual battery disconnect.

I think that one issue has just made me a tad anxious about if the same issue ever happened again and I like the idea of leaving the battery on a tender while having the rest of the electrics "unhooked".

Thanks!
I was born in 1982 and in 1989 my father found the perfect '31 Cabriolet. In 1997 he finally bought it and it became our favorite thing to do together. While my friends were buying Playstations and XBoxs, I was saving up for a muffler. 9 years later, while their game systems were gathering dust, I was picking my wife up for our first date in that car. I drive it to this day and I hope to keep it up so my son can enjoy it just the same. That's the joy of a Model A!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
shaefer

That was actually one of the diagrams I found. The one I've used primarily is this one:http://www.webjunk.com/modela/wp-con...amcolor2sm.jpg
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Ron Lowe

A battery disconnect switch is money well spent. Put it in the cab under your feet for quick access. I just bought one from Bratton's and it was about $25
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaefer View Post
That was actually one of the diagrams I found. The one I've used primarily is this one:http://www.webjunk.com/modela/wp-con...amcolor2sm.jpg
You see the yellow wire above the words "starter switch"? that is where the fuse you referred to in your first post is placed in the circuit.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Patrick L.

The fuse you're referring to in that picture is for everything except the starter.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
leo

As I understand the function of the kill switch, it will disconnect the current of the battery to the starter and to the rest of the electrical system if the car is not running. If the car is running the kill switch will not stop the car because it will be drawing it's current from the generator. In such a case the ignition will have to be switched off, however if the ignition switch is the problem some other method to stop the engine will need to be used.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Hicktick

A battery disconnect will allow you to sleep at nite knowing there is no power to anything that will short out .

If your starter switch sticks you can stop it without damage most times .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
A battery disconnect will allow you to sleep at nite knowing there is no power to anything that will short out .

If your starter switch sticks you can stop it without damage most times .
Both of my cars & I sleep very well every night & with NONE of the above on the cars..The car I just sold was the same way it came from Ford with the ORIGINAL wires, also no problem with it.. If wires are done correct "NOTHING ADDED" much less a chance of a problem.. Still nice to do a little service check every now & then...Its called P.M...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
rscardina

Would the best location in the circuit for the kill switch for a 6v positive ground be between the battery and starter? Would it make any sense to use both the fuse and kill switch?
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscardina View Post
Would the best location in the circuit for the kill switch for a 6v positive ground be between the battery and starter?

It it the easiest.

Would it make any sense to use both the fuse and kill switch?

Why not? kill switch when you park and fuse protection when driving.
I just use a fuse
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
jmeckel

Kill switches are fine, just do not switch them off when the car is running, you can get a "no load condition" on the generator, which can make a mess. I have seen this occur in older fire trucks some years back, it tends to get expensive real fast.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscardina View Post
Would the best location in the circuit for the kill switch for a 6v positive ground be between the battery and starter? Would it make any sense to use both the fuse and kill switch?
They each serve a different purpose, so install both if you want. I would install the master switch in the ground line of the battery.

I don't use either myself.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote