Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 AM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Do not do business with this person

"The Next guy who wants to buy it, might only live 25 miles away, and wants
to drive over to get it, and Don't care if it's boxed, so time just wasted.
No wonder many people just plain WON'T even try sell anything..."

I would have thought he exhausted the 25 mile area sale. It doesn't matter really. Lanny I know people hate ebay. But it gives you some protection. But I have left a few off the hook if they respond quickly.

Rather sell to someone 25 miles away. Less it's a car, then two states over so I don't have to see it driving around with a wing bolted to it or a smashed fender.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-04-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #22
cas3

I haven't sold on ebay for a few years now, but I used to put in a great deal of effort to see that things arrived intact. Cut special size pieces of Styrofoam so sharp corners, or studs don't poke thru the box, etc. People don't understand what an effort it is. Atleast on ebay, the buyer has paid before its shipped. Any other online private sales is where you see the guys that disappear before the deal is done. I had 3 things on Craigslist this summer, and when one sold CR would not let me edit the ad without opening an account! No mention of it in the rules, and I dont want an account. I had to let the ads run out, could not delete after the item sold. Facebook is the way they all say, I say facebook is the devil. Then you have the gubment wanting to get in on the action, I am about to say the heck with it, just do an auction, take the loss, and move on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:57 AM   #23
Tinker

Ive done a few on craiglist. Better up here. In Florida we would go in teams out to the boonies. Emails and no trace phone numbers. Always was fine. Only one time I tapped out on a sale for a HD bike. The guy wanted me to meet him in a homedepot parking lot and follow him with cash. I said hey no thanks. then threatened me to watch my back. I told him that's where I keep a 357 so...

So much easier up here on Craigslist or the radio swap meet.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-04-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #24
mhsprecher

Just the way it goes. More than once I have boxed things up and something happened. I did have a Model T part all ready to go, but it sold later and, so it was already boxed.

The biggest issue is determining actual shipping costs. Sometimes I make a trip to the PO and get the price, but don't like the hassle. I have shipped more than one thing using Greyhound. For larger items, it is a good way to go.

Wrapping them so they don't get damaged in the biggest challenge. No way you win on shipping. It costs too much and takes too much time. People don't want to pay for it, either and don't care how long it takes you to do it. As others have said, the USPS flat rate boxes are a great way to go, but are limited due to size.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #25
marko39

at least with the usps flat rate boxes it is the same price no matter where the buyer lives.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #26
trulyvintage

Question Re: Do not do business with this person

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms32 View Post
I placed an ad for my 32 rear fender. A Matt Knoop from Chicago area replied and said that he wanted the fender. He asked for a number of photos which I sent to him. He asked for the Shipping info and I brought the fender to the next town and got an estimate which I forwarded on to him He said it was great and would send me postal money order, I spent over an hour and $35 in materials wrapping it waiting for it. Yesterday I got an E-mail saying he was not going to take it. I guess If your word is not worth anything what do you have. If you decide to deal with this guy you better get the money in your hands first Tom Gormley
Why are you wrapping an item for shipment
that hasn’t been paid for yet ?

Your decision to do that - don’t try and blame
a prospective buyer you have not done business with before …

Nothing is bought until it is paid for in full.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #27
deuce_roadster

I will send pictures to someone that is interested in something I have. In general, I don't advertise parts for sale, I'd rather take to a swap meet and deal face to face with a buyer but if someone needs something or is stuck on a project, I will offer a part. I have sent parts FREE to people in need on this forum if it is of little value to me. Unless I get payment for a significant part and shipping, I don't even bother boxing it up. Been down that road before. Most folks are honest but the scammers and looky lou folks are out there. A very well to do guy (sold a 39 convert for over 100k) cried poor boy and hooked me on some 32 parts. Have seen his parts for sale on the EFV8 site for big bucks. Plenty of low life people but most are good.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #28
KenBolton

USPS shipping? Do a search on this site for what to do when YOU get burned.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #29
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
USPS shipping? Do a search on this site for what to do when YOU get burned.
Never had a problem with the post office.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #30
Frank Miller

I call this the cost of doing business. People do have the right to back out of sales. If you've ever bought something and returned it you're in the same boat. Quite a few times I've stocked up on plumbing fittings for a project so as to have enough, then return what I do not use. I realize some stores charge a restocking fee but most do not.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #31
Charlie ny
BANNED

I attempt to not wrap until the $$$ arrive. Another annoying practice is when a customer sends less than the amount stated then goes into a double talk routine, a

'who shot John' scenario. I caution that if you cash his check or MO you have
consummated the deal and you could very well be out the shorted $$$$. The
seller be ware.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #32
Andy

I had a 36 rear end freshly built with 3.54 gears. I listed it as no shipping. A guy kept pleading with me to ship it. He said he would pay whatever it cost.
I spent two days figuring wood cost, weight, size, and shipping.
Never was able to get him to reply after that.
NEVER AGAIN!
No shipping means come and get it.
I will do as the other posters suggested. Give a quick and dirty estimate and state the cost can vary.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #33
paul2748

Me either

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Never had a problem with the post office.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #34
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I had a 36 rear end freshly built with 3.54 gears. I listed it as no shipping. A guy kept pleading with me to ship it. He said he would pay whatever it cost.
I spent two days figuring wood cost, weight, size, and shipping.
Never was able to get him to reply after that.
NEVER AGAIN!
No shipping means come and get it.
I will do as the other posters suggested. Give a quick and dirty estimate and state the cost can vary.
When you do not want to ship and they insist they will pay just give them a number that makes you want to ship it.
Even a detailed list. Lumber 150 Time to build shipping crate 4 hrs @ 100 is 400 plus shipping costs once dropped off.
If he says, that ridiculous agree with him and say that is why you do not want to ship it.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
BoxCar Tom

We know by name who backed out of the deal but we don't know why, haven't heard his side of the story. Kinda lopsided. So be it. I will say that back in Oct. I sold two 32 Ford 18" wheels to Matt. Deal went through without a hitch. Paid full price (underpriced so they would sell) paid Paypal fees, and paid shipping from NJ to Chicago. No problems. No dancing till the piper is paid.

Another issue that has not been addressed Paypal is going to report to the IRS the money you receive from them so that you can report it as income on your tax return. Ounch! The problem is with the money you receive to pay for shipping. Pay taxes on pass thru money? OR just boost the shipping fee by your income tax rate?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote