Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
jlawrence

Default Help - Water in Y Block Dingy After Flushing

I have a 55 FORD 272 which I recently got running after setting for 20 years. There was coolant in the system during that time. I want to put in new antifreeze before winter sets in. After using a flush and running for 20 minutes and draining through the pepcock, I ran clear water through the system 4 or 5 times and flushed, and the water is still dingy. It seems to be a little rust like. The engine does not overheat. I did switch out the hoses. I'm wondering if this is a radiator or heater core issue or is this rust that is inside the water jacket. Is there an easy way to rule out the raidator and heater core? How big of a problem is this and what can be done to correct it?
Thanks
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Help - Water in Y Block Dingy After Flushing

Even clean cast iron will have a rust coating on it. If you flushed as much as you say, I would add 50/50 green antifreeze and water and run it. A while back there was a thread on the early V8 section that said to flush with white vinigar. They said to add 100 % white vinigar and go for a forty mile drive, then drain while hot. I never had a motor that cruddy.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
jlawrence

Is green antifreeze preferred because it would not show dirt as readily as other colors? I'll keep the white vinegar idea in mind.

Do you know if backflushing the block would help as long as you removed the radiator and heater core from the backflush operation for fear of blowing them out.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Ole Don

I use green anti freeze the year around because its the safe thing to do. You dont say where you are from, but the way our weather has been the past few years, I recomend this to anyone. If coolant comes out the block drain on each side, you wont get much more crud out without removing welch plugs.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
jlawrence

Thanks. I am new at using this forum for information. I now realize flushing out blocks and radiators is a topic that has been covered at great length. After reading several posts, I plan to fill my system with white vinegar and drive for awhile, and then backflush the block with some water pressure device. I still need to figure out how to do the backflush without the radiator and heater core being hooked up so I do not damage those components.
Jerry from Missouri