Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 8BA Truck Motor - Oil

I run my bearings alittle on the loose side so mu oil pressure is alittle low. I also run my engines hot, use a 180 stat and the fan kicks in at 200. I run a 3 lb cap and sometimes on a hot day might see 21-/215 oil pressure is about 10 at idle and 30/40 at speed. Now what I want you to do is get your engine hot and remove the plug on the oil pump output why the engine is idling. I did this once on an old engine I was working on and the oil shot out of the port and half way across the driveway, before I could
d shut the engine off I lost 2 qts of oil. This is call flow and it cools the bearing. at 50lbs your setting up a resistance to flow and the bearings will run hotter. And as any competent engine builder will tell you heat is the bearings enemy. However, Yes it does work, It's a lubricant, and the engine is overdesigned.

Back in my racing days I used hi volume pumps and shimmed up therelief spring and ran 40 wt racing oil. I changed bering every 3 or 4 weeks, finally broke a crank due to the erosion to 80 lbs of oil mad to the crank. It was part of the learning process years later we could run a whole season on one set of bearings.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote