Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #21
MrBruce

Default Re: Benefits of a thermostat?

I've run one early on when I got into Model A's. Every car has had a thermostat since sometime late 30's early 40's and like one of the other post mentioned it's to keep the engine at 160 or what ever the thermostat is that you put in. There's lots of items on the Model A that weren't available back in there day. The fact that "insert bearings" are available like Ford went to years after the Model A and again, every car has them now. I was sending insert bearings to people 30 years ago when I worked for "Clevite" Engine Parts, we had many machine shops that were inserting Model A's. Now there readily available from all the suppliers. It's internal and no one knows that an engine has inserts.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #22
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
It just came to mind that the factory recommended oil change was 500 miles, so sludge build up of the period (non deterg) oils would possibly be lessened if the A's ran cold when produced.

If I'm reading this right the opposite is true. A cold running engine will actually produce far more sludge than one with a thermostat that keeps it at 180 or so. Sludge is caused by unburned fuel diluting the oil plus the presence of moisture from condensation. These contaminates will evaporate out of the oil if the engine is allowed to get up to proper temperature (180 or so) and driven for about 30 min. or more.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #23
Superhart

I Just looked at the photo of the thermostat from Snyder's and it appears that there are already two small holes present in the housing to prevent air block and hot spots.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #24
Gufshoz

I just installed a Vintage thermostat and; so far, I love it. I was running hot, so I installed engine pans and the she couldn’t get up to 120F LOL. I tried the cardboard without success, so now I have a 160F thermostat and that’s where she stays. I live in south Alabama and I haven’t yet tried her in the summer heat. If that becomes an issue, I’ll make a post on it.
Gufshoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #25
bdtutton

I run a 180 degree thermostat and so far it runs at 180 in the summer, but struggles a bit to get up to 180 in the winter. Overall the car gets up to operating temperature much quicker and runs a lot better. Since most of my trips are less than an hour long I have not experienced any of the overheating issues in my number 3 and 4 cylinders that have been documented by some people.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote