Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Road Trip

Default '29 CC PU assembly confusion

A brief history, and then my question.

I acquired a '29 pick up that was crudely pieced together with coupe door, cowl posts and sub-rails; lower back cab panel was not exactly cherry. Frame is a '30. That being said, I had really no reference point(s) to go off of. I've since gotten the correct sub rails (new from Brookville), correct doors, cowl posts, and all the wood. Also have the seat riser and door post / sub rail brackets - also both new, as well as the cab mounting blocks and rear cab sill.

Here's my issue / question: I'm ready to assemble the cab, but I'm somewhat confused on how things mount on the frame and exactly where. It almost seems as I'm missing a mounting hole on the frame at the rear, or I'm missing a block, or...? The block pictured looks as it should mount under the rear cab sill (the tiny recessed holes line up perfect) but there is no corresponding hole in the frame. Per the diagrams I've run across, that block (or similar) mounts under the door post bracket at the seat riser. The wood block kit is a set of 6; the other ones are obvious as to where they go (yes, they are correct for '28/9). Does the back of the cab "float"? Again, I didn't have any reference points to compare, hence the confusion. I don't want to start welding / bolting things together only to find out my doors won't shut because the cab is too short or long.

Any suggestions? Pic's would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (35.0 KB, 61 views)
Road Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: '29 CC PU assembly confusion

Sounds like the problem is that your frame is a '30. Find someone who has an accessible late 28 or a 29 frame for the cab mount hole locations. Or maybe a 29 frame print.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Road Trip

I have a /29 frame print; According to that, the holes and measurements all jive with what I have. Ideally, I'd like to lay eyes on one in person and see what's what.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

It sounds to me that you have a frame that was intended originally for a car body and not a Open Cab/Closed Cab body.

All frames were "drilled" for car bodies. However when a Open Cab/Closed Cab was waiting in line to be adapted or assembled to this "car" frame on the assembly line, IT IS THOUGHT that some sort of template was layed on the top of the frame and thus the holes to attach the back of the body were thus drilled in the frame for attachment of those two body styles.

I do not think that within the Standards showing the "frame (nut, bolt and lockwasher) chart" tells of this.

This is why you have no bolt holes for your 1929 Closed Cab body.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
Road Trip

I wondered if that was the case, but not being a Model A expert, I assumed they all were the same. Everywhere I looked, I never saw a special "note" indicating anything. So, it does appear I am missing the rear cab hole as suspected. That hole is the key to assembling everything. Now - what is the location is the question?
Old 11-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

OK...Directly behind the center cross member about 4 inches or so should be a hole in the frame (that is a body mounting hole). From the CENTER of that hole to the CENTER of the next hole on the frame which is for for body mounting, is 16-1/4 inches, plus or minus...That is where the back hole within the body should be attached.

That is the way it is on the frames and also as it should be on the Closed Cab.

You should see those holes within the seat riser back corner...NOT the very rear corner of the body itself.

Pluck
Old 11-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Road Trip

Steve - Thanks for the info thus far. I do have those holes in the frame; there is another one almost 9" back from that one, which lands under the bed. It seems there should be another one between them, under the back of the cab for support / mounting; again, the block pictured suggests that. All my sheet metal is new and not drilled, adding to the mystery. the seat riser brackets only have two 1/4" holes on the bottom, and at that, it would make the cab "drop" if it was directly on wood.

I'll post some pic's later tonight to better show what I'm dealing with.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
1955cj5

Here are a couple pictures of the blocks at rear of the cab....is this the block you are asking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090208 - Copy (2).jpg (49.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg P1090285.jpg (34.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

No other holes between the second one and the one that is 9 inches away.

The reason for the two holes in the wooden block, for which should correspond to the two holes in each corner of the cab, as you can see on 1955cj5 photos above, is that one is used for the A chassis assembly and the other is used for the AA chassis assembly.

Pluck
Old 11-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Road Trip

cJ - that is what I needed to see. The block above the exhaust pipe (and other side) is under the rear of the cab, yes? I don't have a hole in my frame there - how far forward from the bolt for the bed is it?
Old 11-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Road Trip

Pic's as promised: Clearly there needs to be a hole somewhere in the frame for the rear cab block. The hole marked "8 7/8" is actually under the front of the bed; I moved the wood for referencing. I think the one I circled in cJ's pic is what I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (29.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (34.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (32.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (43.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (32.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #12
Pickupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
It sounds to me that you have a frame that was intended originally for a car body and not a Open Cab/Closed Cab body.

All frames were "drilled" for car bodies. However when a Open Cab/Closed Cab was waiting in line to be adapted or assembled to this "car" frame on the assembly line, IT IS THOUGHT that some sort of template was layed on the top of the frame and thus the holes to attach the back of the body were thus drilled in the frame for attachment of those two body styles.

I do not think that within the Standards showing the "frame (nut, bolt and lockwasher) chart" tells of this.

This is why you have no bolt holes for your 1929 Closed Cab body.

Pluck
Steve, You are 100% Correct!
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
I have a /29 frame print; According to that, the holes and measurements all jive with what I have. Ideally, I'd like to lay eyes on one in person and see what's what.
I don't know what part of NC you are in, but I am about an hour away from Asheville (-North) just over the NC/Tennessee line. I have a completely restored 76A pick-up here that you can look at, ...and I also have a restored 82A cab that is presently off of its AA frame that you can also look at/measure/photograph/etc.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
Road Trip

Soo... Anybody have a bare frame they can take an accurate measurement of said holes?
Old 11-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Soo... Anybody have a bare frame they can take an accurate measurement of said holes?
I thought you indicated in post #7 that you had all the holes in your frame for attachement...Just what other "holes" are you looking for and are the holes in question in front or behind the center cross member?

Pluck
Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
Road Trip

I do not have the rear holes at the back of the cab; mine must have been a car frame. I have the seat riser holes; sorry for the mis-communication... See post #11.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #17
Steve Plucker
BANNED

There are no holes in the flat area behind the rear of the seat riser.

From there, going towards the front of the cab, are a set of two holes, left and right as seen through the OVAL hole on top of the seat riser.

The two outside holes are for the attachment to an "A" frame and the two inside holes are for the attachment to an "AA" frame. The way I am understanding this is that your "A" frame has these holes...does it not?

No matter what "A" frame you have...These holes for attachment of either the Open Cab or the Closed Cab will always be there. The only "extra" holes drilled on the "A" frame was for the Pickup Box which was about 9 inches beyond the second hole behind the center cross member, left and right.

Some sort of template was laid down on the "AA" frames to accept the two inside holes. This was called to "drill in place" on the assembly line if in fact an Open Cab body was to be placed on an AA frame coming down the assembly line.

Just because your "body blocks" have two holes in them, does not mean that your "A" frame will accept both holes.

I think you are stuck with the mind set that there are supposed to be additional holes in that area directly behind the rear of the seat riser and there is not.

If I am wrong on this...will someone please correct me. I am wrong on this...see #18!

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 11-15-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
1955cj5

So I took a couple pictures.

The two bolts seen from below in post #8, are at the back wall of the cab behind the seat. (You will notice that this is a different ccpu from the one in post 8.)

The two carriage bolts are at the bracket for the A-pillar.

Measured from the face of the rear crossmember bracket (pictured) forward the cab bolt that goes through the frame is 23 3/8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabmountingbolts.JPG (147.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg cabmountingapillar2.JPG (137.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg cabmountmeasure1.JPG (80.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg cabmountmeasure3.JPG (113.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 11-14-2020 at 07:53 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:08 AM   #19
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Well, I have to apologize...So there are two bolt holes, right and left, in the rear corner of the Closed Cab Bodies...I will eat crow!

Sent you an email....

Sorry.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 11-15-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #20
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Well, I have to apologize...So there are two bolt holes, right and left, in the rear corner of the Closed Cab Bodies...I will eat crow!

Sent you an email....

Sorry.

Pluck
I don’t see how you are wrong. There are two holes on each side in the cabs for the A and AA frame as you stated earlier. The A frame only has holes for the outside holes.

The inner holes do not overlap the A frames. Even though several pictures in this thread show bolts in the inner hole on A frames, these holes should be empty. They never left the factory with hardware in those holes on A frames.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote