Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
DBF 30

Default Re: John Deere corn head grease

I have been a long time reader of the Stovebolt web page on restoring Chevy trucks. Corn head grease has been discussed there for years specifically concerning steering gear boxes. The collective wisdom is that it is the best choice by far to put in a steering box for great lubrication and especially to stop the leaks found with other types of gear lube.

I havn't tried it yet but when I rebuild my 2 tooth box I am planning on using it.
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Napa Skip

If you have access to the May-June 1998 “Model ‘A’ News” (Vol 45 No. 3), there is an article entitled “Best Steering Gear Grease” by Herman Reheis of Monticello GA, discussing his use of Ford Steering Gear Grease, Ford Part No. C3AZ-19578A. Mr. Reheis subsequently asked George DeAngelis if he was aware of this product (which he wasn’t). Mr. DeAngelis looked into the matter and responded to Herman with a letter and 3 pages of data from the Ford archives, the bottom line (as Mr. Reheis states in his article) being that the product was a “grease used as a long life lubricant for steering gear housings and is expected to last for the life of the vehicle.” Mr. Reheis goes on to state that he had (as of 1998) used this grease for over 30 years in the restoration of more than 50 steering gears. A couple of years ago the local Ford parts department crossed this part number for me to a Motorcraft product, Ford Part No. CGX-1C, which has Ford Specification ESA-M1C75B.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
V4F

hmm , i must be wierd . i use power punch in my steering box , lucas heavy duty gear oil + power punch in my rear end .
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Apparently some posters are confusing the John Deere cornhead greasse with chassis greasse or wheel bearing grease or the red Mystic JT-6 grease. Cornhead grease is not like that! It is more like a semi-liquid that flows slowly yet clings to gear and bearing surfaces, so it continues to lube.
It's a lot like the special grese used in CV joints found on front wheel drive cars. As long as the CV boot doesn't get torn open or a hole poked iin it (or just fall apart-very rare nowadays) the CV joint will likely outlast the car without ever needing to be repacked. Take one apart after 200,000 or so miles and you will see that all the balls and cages, etc. are still covered with a film of grease and there is no wear.
You may think that the grease would all be pushed a far corner of the joint and it would be running dry, but its not!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

CV joint grease.........now, that sounds like a good steering lubricant.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
CV joint grease.........now, that sounds like a good steering lubricant.
Yep, you may be on to something there!
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #27
Jedd

I'm posting this as a question for myself, not as a reply to someone else's, I hope I'm where I need to be, having never done this before. I currently use Corn head grease in my 1930 Model A steering box with excellent results. I read somewhere that it can be used in differentials to eliminate leakage, (and to eliminate tearing the rear end out to replace axle seals!) Has anyone else done this, or know of someone who has? Thanks
Jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #28
rotorwrench

I'd draw the line on transmissions and differentials. They need better protection for gear wear than the corn head grease was designed for.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote