Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I have an engine that last ran about 10 years ago. A while back I had heard good things about Marvel Mystery Oil. Now that I am thinking of using some in this engine I find that they have products for use in the oil and for use in the gas.

Need some advice on which to use on engines that haven't run for some time. Stories are always good.

Thanks for your help on this.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Put in about 4oz of MMO per 10 gals of gas.

Also squirt some oil (a lot) in the spark plug holes and let it sit for a few days before you start her up.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Slowmotoring

I have had good luck with sea foam. I cant compare it to mmo since I haven’t tried mmo.
Slowmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
rfitzpatrick

It's my understanding MMO is also a solvent. I've soaked a few rusty bolts that allowed me to remove them without damage useing mmo
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Tacoma Bob

Used MMO for years. Just follow the directions. If your glass sediment bowl is pink your motor will smoke like a bitch for about 10 minutes. I haven't
been driving our Tudor much at all but when I do I pull the plugs out squirt some MMO in each hole and roll'er over with the hand crank slowly. Reinstall the plugs and light'er off.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
ArtimusGordon

I have used SeaFoam on working engines, but my suggestion before you start the engine is to drain the pan, checking the drain oil for contamination, refill with 3 qts of new oil and also remove distributor and pour in one (1) quart of oil. I would also add several ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase. Once you have the engine running I would dribble a small amount of Sea Foam into the carburetor. This will help clean the carburetor jets. After that I would add 4 ozs of MMO to the gas tank. Best of luck!
ArtimusGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #7
JKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtimusGordon View Post
I have used SeaFoam on working engines, but my suggestion before you start the engine is to drain the pan, checking the drain oil for contamination, refill with 3 qts of new oil and also remove distributor and pour in one (1) quart of oil. I would also add several ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase. Once you have the engine running I would dribble a small amount of Sea Foam into the carburetor. This will help clean the carburetor jets. After that I would add 4 ozs of MMO to the gas tank. Best of luck!
Good advice.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #8
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
I have an engine that last ran about 10 years ago. A while back I had heard good things about Marvel Mystery Oil. Now that I am thinking of using some in this engine I find that they have products for use in the oil and for use in the gas.

Need some advice on which to use on engines that haven't run for some time. Stories are always good.

Thanks for your help on this.
Dean
I didn't know that there is MMO for use in oil,,,,,,, and a different MMO for use in gas. I'll have to look next time I need some.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
Mulletwagon

Good stuff - great for sticking valves !!
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
Modelacrazyq

I have seen MMO now packages specific crankcase oil too, I believe the fellow that does all the 4 cylinder work for H and H has them as a sponsor on his personal car.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
Bob-A

Smile Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

I use MMO in my gas as much as I can remember too. I just use an ounce or two as I really don't drive that much anymore. One thing that MMO did for my "A" was to stop vapor lock on my carb. Florida is where I live and vapor lock can be a problem. An unusual thing I found about MMO is that
every time before I go driving. I always check the bottom of the carb to feel if it is leaking. Normally there will be a small residual of MMO that has collected. Not gas, but definitely MMO. Am I adding to much maybe??

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
Licensed to kill

I've use MMO and seafoam and like them both. I have a'74 Ford 1 ton that was parked for a long time and i needed to use it. I drained the fuel and put in fresh and got it started but it ran poorly. Wouldn't idle at all, anything under 1000RPM and it would stall. Had my son hold it at 2000-2500RPM while i poured MMO down the carb. Poured until it almost stalled, let it catch it's great that poured some more. Did this 3 or 4 times (used 1/3 of the bottle) and the truck ran and idled smooth. Pretty sure to was sticky valves. Made a LOT of smoke. pouring either MMO or SF into the carb while running is good for cleaning the combustion chambers and all mechanical related, IE valves, rings. I fail to see how pouring into the carb while running would affect the jests in the cab since it is in the air flow and is therefore introduced downstream of the jets but pour it in the fuel and it will clean the carb including the jets. I good way to clean the valves and rings I'm told is to pour it in the car while running until it stalls and let it soak for 20 minutes or so. I done;t recall if I've ever tried that to not but sounds logical.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #13
Arcieri

Posted this in wrong place

Last edited by Arcieri; 02-09-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Arcieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
gdmn852

Marvel mystery oil had been around for a long time,I recall when I first got interested in antique cars back in the late 1960s my great grandfather had a can of it in the garage.They also had a top Oiler setup that hooked up to the intake manifold, looked like a mason jar with a bracket.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:39 AM   #15
ronn

MMO is a great lubricant. always put some in the gas tank to clean out anything sticking.

if it smokes for a bit, you know you are cleaning up the ill gotten mosquitos!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
Gold Digger

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember Studebakers back in the early 50's had some kind of set up mounted on the firewall that fed mmo into the engine.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #17
Bob Bidonde

When an engine has not run in a long period of time, the oil feeds to the bearings bleed out, so the engine has inadequate lubrication upon startup.

In Model "A" & "B" engines, it is imperative that oil supply chambers and passages are full. Thus the practice of pouring at least a quart of oil down the distributor shaft hole is a must do before starting a stored engine.

Further more, it is also imperative that the troughs in the oil pan tray have oil to lubricate the connecting rod bearings. So at least 3 quarts of oil need to be poured into the crankcase breather tube.

Next consider the transmission. When starting an engine just out of storage with the transmission in neutral, the main shaft turns, so the transmission needs to have an adequate level of oil to lubricate the front main shaft bearing. The cluster gear also spins, and it has 2 roller bearings that need oil. Be sure the transmission oil level is adequate before starting the engine.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Marvel mystery oil had been around for a long time,I recall when I first got interested in antique cars back in the late 1960s my great grandfather had a can of it in the garage.They also had a top Oiler setup that hooked up to the intake manifold, looked like a mason jar with a bracket.
I remember those.

In the 40's and 50's my Dad told me that people used to have a set up like that where they would dribble a little water into the carb intake to get better fuel mileage I guess. He said the theory was that your car always ran a little bit better in a rain storm.

Whether that worked or not I don't know.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I remember those.

In the 40's and 50's my Dad told me that people used to have a set up like that where they would dribble a little water into the carb intake to get better fuel mileage I guess. He said the theory was that your car always ran a little bit better in a rain storm.

Whether that worked or not I don't know.
Getting way off topic here (as is usual on Ford Barn) but these two posts remind me of the Olds Jetfire, with a Turbo Charged 215ci V-8. To prevent detonation from the 10.25 compression turbocharged engine, the GM engineers installed a Turbo Rocket Fluid Injector (actually a mix of distilled water, methanol and rust inhibitor) to keep things under control and prevent engine damage.

OK, back to the main subject.