Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
woofa.express

Default Goodbye my Friend

It’s goodbye to a regular contributor and cheers.

My friend Johnny was born in Tocumwal and had never travelled anywhere until Gary came along in 1978. I had taken him on several trips to the outback and to Queensland in my Cessna. In 1992 I took him and another friend, Gerry, to the USA. My friend, Bob Caldwell from Williams in California flew us around the western states. Bob was an interesting fellow, a successful cropduster and a Vietnam Vet. There’s a good story of him back in 14 June 1999, number 609. If you missed it check it out and I betcha you’ll enjoy reading it.

After we returned home I asked them what part of the trip they enjoyed most and it was Tijuana. I asked them if they lived in America where would they have chosen to live. Without hesitation the name Walla Walla was spoken.

Walla Walla. I clearly remember the beautiful deciduous trees; oaks, maples and elms. Probably more. The farming area to the east, cereal cropping as I remember and an old military airbase. A small population- for an American town that is. Once when I was working in Malaysia we had a visit from a representative of engine manufacturer Pratt and Whitney. He spoke of his home town, “a little town you would never have heard of, Walla Walla” he said. He was surprised when I knew where it was, had been there and he was pleased when I said I thought it was a particularly lovely place.

So where is this story going. Well I received notice from a F.F. contributor from Walla Walla to say how he enjoyed reading my stories. This of course is most pleasing but the disappointing part was that he spoke about his leaving the F.F.

So I will conclude by saying Puck, I too have enjoyed reading your contributions. I feel sorry you are going and I wish you well.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-01-2020 at 03:36 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote