Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
GaryU.

Default Horn I.D.

This horn was with a 1940 Ford sedan but is not from that car. If anyone has an idea what this was used on please chime in. Don't think its Ford because of dimensions. After I used some 600 grit paper on the points it works great, so good that my daughter put down her cellphone for a minute to venture into the garage to see what all the noise was about. Thanks, Gary

URL=http://s737.photobucket.com/user/gjunertl/media/DSCF5266_zpsmkdvyjx0.jpg.html][/URL]

GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Horn I.D.

Hi maybe 33/34 commercial Ford... hung from the light bar and the wires went toward the grill shell.??? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Barn Junk

Not Ford. Maybe GM or ??? 33-34 Ford Commercial used same basic internals as passenger cars. This one is all different than Ford.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #4
DBF 30

Hi, that is a Chevrolet horn. it covers from 1937 to I believe 1953. Nice horns and real loud. I have three of them I have picked up at swap meets. In addition to my fords I have a 1939 Chevrolet sedan. Also to be specific that horn is considered to be the town horn of the Town and Country Horns set in Chevrolet cars. The country horns are dual trumpets that mount above the engine. Your horn mounts to a tab on the exhaust manifold on the old stovebolt straight six. Chevy of the 40's sells the small bracket that mounts to the horn and manifold. Jim Carter chevy trucks also sells the bracket.

In the picture you show with the dome cover removed there is a paper capacitor that snaps into a bracket. That keeps the sparking of the points down while it operates. This capacitor is likely bad and should be replaced.

I tested a couple of old ones for there current values and went a little oversized for insurance. I used a 10 MFD at 250 volts for the replacement. It seemed to improve the sound quality. Also clean the contacts, hook it up and adjust the screw for best tone. Easy to fix and a nice horn. I would post a picture of it mounted but don't know how to do that.

DBF 30

Last edited by DBF 30; 10-19-2016 at 02:45 AM.
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
GaryU.

Thanks for all the info.Thought I had seen this type of horn on a Chevy pickup so thanks for confirmation on that. If anyone needs this let me know.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote