Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
kbinde2

Default Brake Cleaner "Hazard"

Just read an article posted by "Freighter Jim", on the MTFCA forum, referencing an experience with spray brake cleaner and then heating to remove grease/oils..
I can't figure out how to attach it here.. but it does pose a safety concern for those who use it as a cleaner/solvent.. maybe someone more computer savy could post it on the FB forum.. kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Bruce of MN

Default Re: Brake Cleaner "Hazard"

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
kbinde2

Thanks Bruce..!
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I found a long time ago that brakeclean is more toxic than carb cleaner--- spray down a mouse with carb cleaner and it weaves some when running , spray down a mouse with brakeclean and it has a seizure and dies--- I rarely use brakeclean now
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
ronn

have had two friends that used it daily, both ended up very sick and passed at a young age. very very toxic!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
wmws
BANNED

Thanks for the warning. I will definitely be more careful from now on.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Keith True

I stopped using the chlorinated stuff many years ago.I bought a new waste oil furnace in 1986,and the dealer told me that a small amount of chlorinated solvents would ruin the firebox.He was very clear about it,and said it was the easiest things to identify for a warranty claim.I guess the solvents don't really burn,but when they are in a fire when it hits the firewall they explode.I work over a pan when assembling hydraulic parts,and constantly blow parts off with brakeleen while I'm working.The replacement targets were over $80.each,and one day the target was fine,and the next day it had a hole blown in it.(I actually look at it every day when in use).I made my own target using three firebrick,they last for years.I evidently got hold of some of the evil stuff a couple of times,it blows the firebrick right up.The parts stores I use said they haven't sold the chlorinated stuff in years.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Brake Cleaner "Hazard"

That would be me ....

Probably all of us have used brake cleaner from a spray can.

The difference between " chlorinated " & " non-chlorinated " can save your life.

I usually buy chlorinated - you seem to get a little more.

Never gave it much thought.

Then I read this:

Spray Can Brake Cleaner Near Death Experience

After I posted this on another forum - this guy shared his experience when
he was working on a vehicle that had been bondoed ....

" Brakleen and other volatile solvents of the type will release Phosgene gas when heated or burned. R-12 and other refidgerants as well as PVC plastic pipe will do the same. phosgene gas tirns into hydrochloric acid in your lungs! IT WILL kill you if you are exposed to enough of it. If you are exposed to massive amounts of it, death can come in minutes. severe exposure can lead to lethality in days. Even minor contact can be very harmful, leading to permanent damage to your lungs! Old auto AC leak detectors were called Halide detecters. A small leak of R-12 refridgerant waould cause a propane flame to turn purple, and give off a nasty smell (phosgene gas). HOWEVER - if a large leak was encountered, a large plume of heavy white gas would occur - nearly pure Phosgene gas! in a confined space like a car interior, or a small work bay, the mechanic was in dire straights. halide torches are now illegal for that reason.

When I worked for an auto shop, I decided to braze a new floor into my 66 chevy Biscayne trunk. I did not realize that the old one was heavily sealed with Bondo plastic body repair. The heat turned the plastic into phosgene gas and I was exposed, not realizing that I was being poisoned. 1/2 hour later, I suddenly couldn't breath and developed tunnel vision, while driving. I stopped in the middle of an intersection, and tried to exit my car, and then collapsed. At first a cop thought I was drunk, but an alert nurse who happened on the bscene noted that my fingernails and lips were blue, indicating a lack of oxygen. I spent 2 weeks in an oxygen tent in the hospital, and was told I have lost about 30% lung function - permanently.

If you use these solvents, 1) keep away from heat and open flame. 2) use in a well ventilated area. 3) wear eye protection, and gloves - keep it off your skin! Catch runoff on an absorbant pad and dispose in a METAL can, preferably with a lid. Do not use a plastic can, the solvent may melt it! 4) keep away from children and pets. Most of these solvents are carcinogenic - they can cause cancer. BE SAFE when using them! "

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Keith True

I never thought about it being in the fudge before.I always use a torch to strip old bondo off.When I repack old hydraulic pistons with threads on the inside of the barrel I fill the threads with bondo,sand them smooth,and slide the piston together without tearing the packings up on the threads.Then I take the torch and burn/melt the bondo out and screw the gland nut on.I don't stick my nose in the smoke,but I never worried much about it,it was just the smell that I didn't like.I remember a little kid that put his cereal bowl on top of a woodstove and went in the bathroom.His father smelled it and ran in with a rag on his nose,tossed the bowl out and opened the windows.Both dogs that were laying in front of the stove died a couple of days later.It was guessed to be a gas from the melted plastic.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Jwilli

Good advise from all, thanks for all the information. Be safe.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
captndan

For mice my cat is much more humane than break cleaner.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
ursus

I have used the chlorinated Brakleen product quite a bit and never knew about this. Looking for information, I found that the solvent in these products, perchloroethylene (also called tetrachloroethylene), will form phosgene gas at 300 degrees F. Phosgene gas claimed the lives of many soldiers during the First World War and is a really nasty toxin.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
henry's 31

Thank you for sharing this with us. We all use tons of products without thinking that they may harm you. I wish you a quick and complete recovery.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

We use the the non- chlorinated
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinde2 View Post
Just read an article posted by "Freighter Jim", on the MTFCA forum, referencing an experience with spray brake cleaner and then heating to remove grease/oils..
I can't figure out how to attach it here.. but it does pose a safety concern for those who use it as a cleaner/solvent.. maybe someone more computer savy could post it on the FB forum.. kb
Hey kb,
Thanks for sharing !
Now have to finish inventory of my sprays/cleaners !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
fastroadster

We ALL should have been dead years ago with all the "stuff" we use to use.
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

And here I thought they stopped selling it years ago?