Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
kbinde2

Default '29 Coupe Back Glass

Can anyone give dimensions for a '29 Special Coupe rear glass.? I'm replacing both plate and "plexi-glass" in my coupe.
Thanks for any info..
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: '29 Coupe Back Glass

I would use the glass that you have as a pattern. I could measure mine for you, but that would entail taking my moldings and upholstery panels off. I can tell you that the corners are not square. They are rounded on the corners. It fits into a wooden frame, so make sure there are no tacks or screws that would chip the glass. I used black RTV silicone to make the seal between the glass and the body. Hope this helps.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
Bob C

Page 250 of the Service Bulletins has the dimensions.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
wrndln

What I did on my 28 special coupe windows was to make a thin plywood pattern and trimmed it to fit well with the rubber channel around it. If I remember correctly the bottom and top was NOT perfectly straight on the rear window. After I got the plywood to fit correctly, I took the plywood pattern along with the quarterpanel window plywood patterns (each just slightly different) to a local glass shop to have plate glass cut and the edges polished. I had them use 3/16" or 7/32" (I can't remember) thick glass as 1/4" was a little too thick. After they had the glass cut and finished, I picked up the glass to make sure with the rubber channel it fit OK and it did. I took it back and had them take it to a place that tempers glass (after tempering, if it ever breaks it will be in about a thousand small pieces. When I installed the the glass I used pinch Pony type spring clamps to clamp the rubber around the glass. I really pulled the rubber to eliminate the puckering on the corners until I had 8 or 9 clamps around the perimeter, I then marked where to cut the rubber off. I then super glued the rubber ends together. I let it dry overnight even though the package said it dried in 10 or 15 minutes. I then stretched the rubber around the glass which was hard to do, as the rubber channel was much smaller than the perimeter of the glass. I had no puckering in the corner once I go the rubber channel on the glass and miraculously the super glue held the rubber ends together fine. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote