Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
prsvf1

Default 1941 Ford Pickup Transmission Mounting

I have a 1941 Ford pickup under construction - right now it is just the cab mounted to the frame. I would like to put my rebuilt open drive transmission in it. I know the rear mount is 10" wide on the stock transmission & is 8" wide on my rebuilt open drive transmission. Has anyone performed this swap. If so what was used for a transmission mount? I am looking for information for how to mount the transmission.

I also plan to use an 8" Ford Granada rear axle w/a parallel leaf kit. I am also using a 52/53 EAB engine converted to a mercury oil pan & pickup.

Any help or photos would be appreciated.
prsvf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 1941 Ford Pickup Transmission Mounting

chassis engineering used to have the adapters for this but not sure if they are around anymore. there was an article in a hot rod delux a few years ago about doing this, I will look to see if I have it.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsvf1 View Post
I know the rear mount is 10" wide on the stock transmission & is 8" wide on my rebuilt open drive transmission.
Any help or photos would be appreciated.

BELOW is a picture of what the rear (10" Wide) mount in your '41 PICK-UP chassis should look like.

I believe I would cut and shape two pieces of 1/4" plate shaped something like seen below, thus when placed upon the existing mount, drilling four new holes in existing mount matching the new BOLT holes in NEW ADAPTER plates, and bolting-in such that the center of the BIG holes are spaced 1" INBOARD of the existing holes in mount. You would have to cut/drill a LARGE hole in existing mount (BELOW THE ADAPTER PLATE's BIG HOLE) for socket access to the bottom of the special bolt going thru the rubber donut at new location. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
JHFORD51

42-52 1/2 tons all use the same rear trans mount/bearing retainer and cushion. So if that is the rear bearing retainer and mount you have it's set up for a u shaped saddle type mount streching across the "ears" on the rear bearing retainer rather than the two donut biscuits in 41. You'll have to do some fab work to make the u shaped rubber saddle style cushion not sit too high in your 41 donut style mount. Or as suggested above, discard the rubber saddle mount and make some levered spacers to make the 42-52 open drive "ears" mate with your 41 mount with donuts. Still have to careful with height though.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
prsvf1

Didn't the 46 - 48 Ford cars use an 8" spacing as well - is it the same spacing side to side & front to back as the 42-52 pickups?
Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Didn't the 46 - 48 Ford cars use an 8" spacing as well - is it the same spacing side to side & front to back as the 42-52 pickups?

prsvf1 .....What is all this talk about '42-'48? Did you not say you had a 1941 pick-up in the header line? If you DO in fact have a '41 pick-up truck, does it not have the rear mount like the picture BELOW?

YES, '42-'48 cars had a different bearing retainer which was 8" across! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-27-2022, 04:14 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Yes, the '42-'48 bearing retainer had mounting ears spaced 8" apart, and is shown BELOW, courtesy of Mac VanPelt's pictures.

But that piece is strictly for use with a TORQUE Tube. The piece you need for the "OPEN Drive" trans is of the 8"-wide variety, but has provision for a seal which is needed for the 'open' drive shaft YOKE, as well as a provision for a speedometer drive which otherwise goes away when you lose the torque tube....examples seen BELOW! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #8
prsvf1

Yes I Do have a 41 pickup & yes it does have the stock mount as pictured above. I had to replace that mount for the stock transmission. Yes I also know what the 42 -52 pickup mount looks like as well as the 42-48 car torque tube mount looks like.
However, I have the open drive pickup transmission as previously stated, but I do not have the 42-48 car transmission/mount for visual reference.

With all that said previous question about mount spacing was only partially answered with the side to side spacing of 8". However, the question of front to back spacing was not a answered. I just want to know if it is the same between the 42 - pickup & the 42-48 car. Not sure if this would work or not for another mounting option would be to obtain the 46-48 car transmission frame mount & modify it to fit my 41 pickup so that I can use the rubber mount for open drive transmission. I don't know what the 46-48 car frame mount looks like.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Yes I Do have a 41 pickup & yes it does have the stock mount as pictured above. I had to replace that mount for the stock transmission. Yes I also know what the 42 -52 pickup mount looks like as well as the 42-48 car torque tube mount looks like.
However, I have the open drive pickup transmission as previously stated, but I do not have the 42-48 car transmission/mount for visual reference.

With all that said previous question about mount spacing was only partially answered with the side to side spacing of 8". However, the question of front to back spacing was not a answered. I just want to know if it is the same between the 42 - pickup & the 42-48 car. Not sure if this would work or not for another mounting option would be to obtain the 46-48 car transmission frame mount & modify it to fit my 41 pickup so that I can use the rubber mount for open drive transmission. I don't know what the 46-48 car frame mount looks like.

You probably need to get the comparison between CAR and PICK-UP out of your mind, 'cuz they ain't nothin' like each other, no matter that the year of the collective pieces is '41 & '42. And, you need to do just a little bit of "fitting-up" on your own to see if things are spaced like you want.

Just to show that the '42 CAR mount ain't gonna get you anywhere near where you need to go, this is a '42-'48 CAR rear mount below! Be aware that there is another missing, vulcanized rubber/metal piece that goes with it. A 'can of worms'! You need to use a little "home-brew" ingenuity here and BUILD a mount, MAYBE something like my initial drawing.

'42-'48 CAR mount BELOW!

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #10
prsvf1

I know that there is quite a difference between a 41 pickup frame & the 42 - 48 car frames. Yes I also know that I am going to have to fabricate my own mount. Whether that is to take your previous suggestion, make something totally different, or if I obtain a 42 - 48 mount & make some modifications to make it work. I think that there may be a possibility to modify it. If it don't work, I t
so be it. Yes I am also going to put my mockup block & f1 style pickup trans in my frame to see what I need to do mount it up. If it doesn't work than I will do something else. I appreciate your suggestions for how to mount this. I am not against cutting, grinding, welding etc to fabricate something that will work satisfactorily. I never figured that the 42 - 48 mount is a bolt in.- I just wanted to see if it could possibly be modified to fit. I have also looked at each of the frames to see the differences between them around the transmission mount. Is there anything wrong with using the rubber mount system as it was stated it is a can of worms. What do you mean by that - ie is this style of mount not one of Ford's better ideas.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You probably need to get the comparison between CAR and PICK-UP out of your mind, 'cuz they ain't nothin' like each other, no matter that the year of the collective pieces is '41 & '42. And, you need to do just a little bit of "fitting-up" on your own to see if things are spaced like you want.

Just to show that the '42 CAR mount ain't gonna get you anywhere near where you need to go, this is a '42-'48 CAR rear mount below! Be aware that there is another missing, vulcanized rubber/metal piece that goes with it. A 'can of worms'! You need to use a little "home-brew" ingenuity here and BUILD a mount, MAYBE something like my initial drawing.

'42-'48 CAR mount BELOW!

This is the other VULCANIZED piece that goes with the '42-'48 AUTOMOBILE mount! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-31-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
JHFORD51

I think what is trying to be said is that if you try and use the u shaped rubber mount for 42-52 half ton transmission you are pretty much going to need and cut out the complete middle of your 41 crossmember and go from scratch to duplicate something like the 42-52 half ton or 42-48 car had. If that level of fabrication work isn't what you have in mind the offset mounts like V8coopman suggested are probably the way to go. You are fighting front and rear offset AND vertical offset to use the open drive trans setup with your 41 style crossmember and that is why nothing lines up easily.

Not too hard to duplicate the middle part of the 42-52 half ton crossmember/42-48 car crossmember and do a little minor surgery to your 41 crossmember. If you do a good job, it's easily reversible in the future.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote