Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
nkaminar

Default Some people should not own a Model A

This post is not meant to be insulting to anyone, it is just something that I have observed. Some people who buy Model A’s are not qualified to repair or maintain them. I am the same way with my new Toyota Camry hybrid. I have not even opened the hood. I take it to the dealer for regular service and would do the same it I had a problem with it. I am sure most new Model A owners in 1928 were the same way. They took it to the dealer for service or if something was amiss.

The Ford dealer is no longer equipped to work on a Model A. The same with most automotive repair shops (there are exceptions). So the Model A owner becomes his own mechanic. Or, if they are lucky, they have a Model A mechanic in the local area and can afford to have them work on the car. Other lucky new Model A owners are capable of learning how to work on their cars. But I see owners who are not mechanically inclined and who are struggling. Our job is to try and help these people but in some cases it is difficult. In my opinion, there are some people, who because of circumstances, should not buy Model A’s.

How do others feel about this?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Some people should not own a Model A

I don't really agree with this as a blanket statement. When I acquired my first Model A, I was a complete novice with very little mechanical experience. The A was a great car to learn on and gain confidence in my mechanical ability. If it had turned out that I couldn't learn the basics of repair and maintenance, I probably would not have continued in the hobby for the last 65 years but if I hadn't tried, I wouldn't have known. My first "major" repair was replacement of a broken piston. My Dad who had little mechanical ability recommended that I find someone to fix it and left. My grandfather, who had zero mechanical ability, said that instead of standing around looking at it and wondering, I should dive in. I did and it worked out fine. I had another friend who bought an A roadster in excellent condition and drove it for years before he passed away. Always enjoyed the car and had very little trouble with it and when he did one of the guys in the club or one of the older mechanics in the area would fix it. Opinions will vary, but I think anyone who feels that they want and old car should give it a try. It will either work out fine for their particular abilities or they will learn that it is not for them.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
Oldgearz

I'm pretty dumb on my computer, but I still have three. To each his own is my belief. But....I can see where you are coming from. If lack of maintenance causes safety issues for the owner as well as others on the road, that's a different story.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
MickyD

When I was 16 I pulled the engine out of my 53 Ford Victoria. I read every book I could on that car. I pulled the engine for two blocks on a car dolly to a engine rebuild shop. They rebuild it for me and brought it back to my house and lowered it back into my car. I have worked on every car I have had since then. I knew nothing about my 28 Model A Roadster when I bought it in 2014. I have learned a lot since then and am still learning. By the way I will be 76 in 2 months. Never too old to learn. When asked in 1995 by my son in law "where did you learn so much about cars? My answer was. Read books and read more. I still have a lot more to read on my 28.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Russ/40

Agree 100%, but not with the "A" exclusive. Some people should not have any kind of old or Classic Car. If you cannot repair it yourself, or afford to have it maintained properly, you should leave ownership to others.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Agree 100%, but not with the "A" exclusive. Some people should not have any kind of old or Classic Car. If you cannot repair it yourself, or afford to have it maintained properly, you should leave ownership to others.

Agreed. Poorly maintained car are a danger to the public in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #7
wwirz

There is much information on Model As....forums such as this, the Les Andrews REDBOOK, YOUTUBE videos and of course joining a Model A club. The other thing about Model A ownership is do not be afraid to ask questions of knowledgeable people before getting in over your head. We need to be careful about scaring people away from the hobby or getting so frustrated they give up ownership.....what a disappointment. I enjoy helping people on their cars. Our club is embarking on an "outreach" to other Model A owners in need of some help. Keep the As running safely and keep everyone happy with the hobby.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #8
rfitzpatrick

My concerns is finding a replacement when our club mechanic shuts it down. We're both 80 this Summer. Now I can afford to hire the work, finding someone may be the problem
instead. It keeps me awake sometimes
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
ronn

nk, I have to totally disagree with you, but do get where you are coming from.

The one thing I like about this hobby is there is a 180 degrees of difference in various collectors, and all are acceptable, with 179 grey shades in between. to each his own in how they would like to collect.
there is always the option of stamps and coins, where they are only stared at..... but one can do that with a car as well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #10
old ugly

i think if you want one and can afford it and if you are allowed to own it you can have it, i think that applies to everything.

if you are not of an aptitude that enables you to maintain your car you will have to reach out for help.

a person that does not have the ability or aptitude to be mechanical can read a thousand books on how to fix a model A ford and still not be able to fix it.

i am real old and have just recently realized that some people just do not have their brain wired in a fashion that enables them to understand mechanics,
my wife's two boys (mid thirties) have professional jobs and are good at nonmechanial functions, but they have zero ability to understand, fix or make anything to do with mechanical.
i have showed them how things work
i have had them attempt to help me work on stuff.
i have given them books
nothing but a blank lost look in their eyes.
up until this experience i thought that everyone could learn mechanical ability but now i know that some people will never have the mental ability to work on a car, even if it is the simplest car.
if you have the aptitude and ability to do mechanical work consider yourself a very lucky person, and a person as gifted as a doctor or lawyer.

ou

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #11
woofa.express

Well I’m not a mechanic’s boot lace, however I know all about how and why they work. I manage minor mechanical work. I reckon I’m entitled to have one (or 3 in my case) and I saved 2 from the rubbish tip!
I have admired and loved them since I was a school kid. Today I’d feel deprived without them. I love taking them for a drive. I also love just looking at them and admiring their beauty and each day I thank God for the lives of Henry and Eidsel.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-25-2022 at 10:13 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
KR500

I agree that everyone should not own a Model A. Many buy one because to them its cute. They like to be observed driving down the street and have people beep their horn or give them a thumbs up. But like what most of us believe is that when you choose to buy and own a Model A, or T or any other make of car you are taking on a responsibility to preserve, take care of, maintain and enjoy. your purchase. That is part of the problem when we become to old to pass on our cherished babies to a sibling or friend they don't want or aren't in a position to house, maintain, or enjoy the vehicle. I suppose it can be said we don't need more antique cars just loving people willing to handle these cars. When my father and I bought our first car it was all we could handle. The clubs generally had only one member who could purchase one car and that was enough. Now it is common for a member to have anywhere from five to a dozen. At least they have homes!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:22 PM   #13

You should own one if you want to start from scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2090289.jpg (43.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1050275.jpg (49.5 KB, 81 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
Oldbluoval

I think two words come to my mind…
Expectations——what does a owner want out of the car and how do they think it will perform
. Many want a vintage car for many reasons. But, most don’t have a clue what’s involved; Batteries, tires, storage, fuel system, electrical system , rodents ….on and on. They will likely be sorely disappointed when their expectations are stifled.

Skills—— if one can’t do or have a plan(includes paid help) to do many necessary chores/maintenance/upkeep (some identified above) they should not own a vintage car. They should frequently attend car shows and enjoy them from afar.
IMHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 PM   #15
Betterlifenz

I'm no mechanic, but I can do most things on my Model A. How and why?? I can read, and I have some tools (and any I don't have and need, i go and buy). Les Andrews red book is my bible, but even so, I am not afraid to ask others if I get stuck. And it's all so enjoyable.
Betterlifenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:49 PM   #16
woofa.express

Some of you critics should have a rethink.

Please do read story number 11 in this thread to assess my skill and lack there of.
I have admitted I am not a mechanics bootlace. Whilst I do my own simple stuff I have much of the mechanical work done for me by skilled people. This pay for. I do however envy those of you with skills to have top running motorcars.
Many of you have expressed that non mechanical owners should not own vintage motorcars. That is me you are speaking of.
I enjoy owning and driving them. As I said in story number eleven I have saved two from the rubbish tip. It is disappointing to find I have critics when I contribute to Model A associations, our local vintage car club, the Victorian state Model A Club and indeed this forum. I present and promote my A’s to the public.
Maybe you knockers could do well to have a rethink. Gary.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-26-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:46 AM   #17
dean from bozeman

If you have the money you should be able to own a Model A. Period.

Now if you take that Model A on a public road you have an obligation to the public, your passengers and yourself to have it in good working order, i.e. good brakes, good steering, etc. How you get it to and maintain it in good working order is your call and your responsibility. Period.

How dare anyone think that they have the right to say who should and who shouldn't own a Model A.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 AM   #18
Synchro909

It's not just Model As that some people shouldn't own. IMO, there are many who shouldn't even be able to get a license to drive. I know a lady who sold off a couple of her late husband's cars, one to a father/son pair who swore they would look after and care for it. Within a couple of weeks they had destroyed it. the ignored what she told them bout checking the oil and water and by doing so, ruined the engine (cracked the block). She is still likely to tear up when telling the story.
Some people seem to think it is their right to own or do anything they like when they like, to whom they like and nobody has the right to challenge them. WRONG!
For example, we wall have the right to wave our arms about in the air but that right ceases at the end of the next person's nose.I'll stop the rant now - just don't start me off.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:49 AM   #19
Patrick L.

It doesn't bother me when someone buys an old car. It can be frustrating when trying to help someone here and they don't pay attention or respond.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
CatMan1

When I got mine in May of last year I only knew the basics of them, but had never worked on them. I've been around old cars all my 50 years and have owned many. I was frustrated with the rear main leak and other issues I saw. One of the guys in my church said that he would be praying that God would send me someone to help with my car. I never had an idea that it would be my new girlfriend! She loves getting her hands dirty and working on the car! She's quite good at it and has given me the confidence to get in and tackle things thus making it a better car. It's what I needed after losing my wife in February of last year.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #21
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
When I got mine in May of last year I only knew the basics of them, but had never worked on them. I've been around old cars all my 50 years and have owned many. I was frustrated with the rear main leak and other issues I saw. One of the guys in my church said that he would be praying that God would send me someone to help with my car. I never had an idea that it would be my new girlfriend! She loves getting her hands dirty and working on the car! She's quite good at it and has given me the confidence to get in and tackle things thus making it a better car. It's what I needed after losing my wife in February of last year.

Wow, very nice! Congratulations, you've done everything right.

My girlfriend says she will keep Margarethe clean but she will not help me with the technical stuff. Fair enough...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

There's no right or wrong answer.
I grew up on my Grandpas farm and unlike many farmers, he was not a mechanic so I had no learning experience there.
In college I worked at a full-service gas station and learned oil changes and tune-ups but not much more.
Later in the hippie years I had a VW bug and no money so had to learn how to keep it afloat, with the help of John Muir's "Idiot" book.
Almost 40 when I got the first Model A and was very comfortable by then taking it all apart and fixing things.

Circumstances and temperment determine your style of Model A ownership.
One of my friends in FL hardly knew which end of the wrench to grab, but after a couple years learning was confident and competent enough to drive it to NC alone in the winter. He is of modest means and could not hire a lot of work done....

Another friend has 16 or 17 old cars from Model Ts to 60's cars. He has deep pockets and retains a full-time employee to maintain his cars so all are dependably driveable at any time, and hires out all mechanical work.

Everyone has to figure out their own solution. And yes, a few people probably are not well-suited to old car ownership.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #23
Mike Peters

F
folks with little to no mechanical abilities buy Model A's all the time. Some are dreamers who want to restore/rebuild, or buy a nice car to drive. One of two things happen: 1. they realize that a Model A really isn't for them and sell it. or
2. It sits in their garage for many years untouched until circumstances change and either they or family members sell it to one of us. Then we go through it, and either drive it ourselves or sell and make some $.
People don't live forever, but antique cars live on indefinitely.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:06 AM   #24
Bob-A

Unhappy Re: Some people should not own a Model A

I have nothing against anybody, mechanically inclined or not, who want to own, drive or repair their "A". The ones I detest are the idiots who take nice restored/unrestored Model-A's and make what I call "crap"-rods! It is one thing to take a pile of rusted junk and make a beautiful piece of machinery 'vs' taking a nice old car and destroying it..........

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #25
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
Wow, very nice! Congratulations, you've done everything right.

My girlfriend says she will keep Margarethe clean but she will not help me with the technical stuff. Fair enough...

Thanks!
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #26
51504bat

And there are some so called experts who shouldn't own one or at least keep their opinions to themselves. JMHO
Old 01-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
My concerns is finding a replacement when our club mechanic shuts it down. We're both 80 this Summer. Now I can afford to hire the work, finding someone may be the problem
instead. It keeps me awake sometimes
I trust my perspective brings some ease to your worries. I have been in this hobby for all of my life of 61 years. My father and a few friends founded the Houston, TX Model-A club back in the mid-1960s. I have seen/heard much of these same arguments almost every decade throughout that time. In the 70s it was hobbyists worried that all engines were going to insert bearings and no one would be able to cast (pour) engine bearings for the Model-A. Then the 80s came along and hobbyists were worried that with new car's engines going to electronic ignition, no one would know how to set the gap on ignition points, -and that was pivoting on even being able to find a set of points or condenser for such an old outdated car! Then in the 1990s, the worry was fuel injection was taking over all engines and no one would even know how to rebuild a Model-A carburetor. The 21st Century has brought new worries with Model-As having poor emissions and with electric cars taking over, where will we even be able to buy gasoline in the future to drive our beloved Model-A.

This same mindset was also applied to being able to buy tires, or where to buy lacquer paint, -or who would even want to own a Model-A and therefore we could never sell one when we get too old because "nobody will want them as kids today only want to play with computers". It is truly amazing how all of that worked itself out!!

With regard to finding someone to work on your Model-A, based on ones that I know of today who specialize in Model-As on some level, you will have no problem getting your Model-A's needs met regarding restoration or repair.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

I bought my first Model A when I was 12. It taught me alot but I still feel sorry for that truck. That is how we learned about cars.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #29
eagle

The only thing that really bothers me is when someone with no knowledge, skills, or experience decides they're going to "restore" an old car. First thing they do is start tearing apart, never to put back together again. Its none of my business what someone does with their own property, but it is sad to see.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #30
burner31

If you think it's bad in Model A's you should see how some Harley-Davidson owners are...can't change battery, can't change oil, can't put on the simplest little add-on do-dads, frankly, I'm surprised some of them could even wash their bike.
Back in the day when some of the week-end bikers would show up at the bar and try to be the "bad-ass biker" they'd get their clocks cleaned...so to speak

With Model A's...we're different, don't care if you can turn the wrench, it's a Model A...we love you Brother.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #31
johnneilson

hmmmmm...

more division, maybe just appreciate the fact that we can enjoy the hobby, even if someone's car is not to Our liking.

John
Old 01-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #32
chapmark256

I got my 29 Model A handed down from great Grandpa, I have been storing it, keeping in barns and sheds for 30+ years. I just started in July 2021 to get it running and drivable. I have learned a lot. Doing the work yourself pays a lot of dividends, the feeling you get from working on the A is indescribable.
chapmark256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #33
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmark256 View Post
I got my 29 Model A handed down from great Grandpa, I have been storing it, keeping in barns and sheds for 30+ years. I just started in July 2021 to get it running and drivable. I have learned a lot. Doing the work yourself pays a lot of dividends, the feeling you get from working on the A is indescribable.

Your Grandfather would be proud of you. Please don’t ever sell it. Try to pass it on.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #34
chrs1961815

I agree with some of the sentiment. To own a model A, you have to have some mechanical experience just to operate the thing. Much less for the repairs that come up out of the blue.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #35
aermotor

Smile Re: Some people should not own a Model A

[QUOTE=Mike Peters Then we go through it, and either drive it ourselves or sell and make some $.]

Unless it was given to you the make some $'s doesn't happen too often.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #36
Gene F

Lot of good points here. This remionds me of a car I was interested in, at Lloyd Youngs auction in 2018. I pasted that text in below:
I went to the bank and got things squared away, with a block of more than enough money on my checking acct, and got the letter I needed....

I wanted the 27 REO Flying Cloud 5-person sedan. It was Lloyd's touring car, and he had repainted it from "Old Blue" to a two-tone tan in recent years. He freshened up the car overall. I thought perhaps if I could get that car it would be worthy of an entry in The Great Race 2020. 2019 is already sold out. I stopped at $25,000 which was a little more than double the "book" value. I did a lot of value research in addition to value guides. The old guy kept bidding, and he just looked like he wasn't even going to so much as flinch until he said $30,000, which would have left me at $31,000 and that was way more than I wanted to pay. I never try to run up the bid on someone, I think it's dirty, and you never know when your opponent will stop and leave you stranded. I really wanted that car, but I felt like $25,000 with the 8% fee on top of that was a plenty. I told my wife a week before I wanted the car, but I didn't wanna pay more than about $20,000, or $25,000.

I wonder what that old guy thinks he is going to do with it. I mean I look at my collector cars as me just being the caretaker of them. I retired WAY EARLY, but collector cars will live beyond me, and I can still get around quite good. I hate to say it, but that guy is plainly in his late 70s, and can hardly walk. How in the heck is he even going to change the oil, and perform the annual lubrication on that car? The first time the car has a flat tire, the carburetor needs cleaned out, or some other minor maintenance repair the car will simply sit and deteriorate. The only two shops that perhaps work on something of that vintage are not even around here: Hills Restorations in Racine, OH, and perhaps the Studebaker specialty shop over in Duncan Falls, OH.
It sound like sour-grapes, but it's really not. Sure I would have liked to have it though, but I have enough collector cars to keep me plenty busy (both
driving and repairs).

Lets face it, the car is likely in as good a shape right now as it ever will be. I expect never to see it again. Someone said to me, you never know Gene, maybe he will die, and you can buy it from his estate cheaper. Sounds unfriendly to me, but perhaps there is some truth to it. It's more likely that (I kinda hate to even go down this road) by the time the car ever would become available again, it will have deteriorated again to where I would not even wanna fool with it. Lets face it, it's not like my Model-A where parts and resources are plentiful.

Actually, I think the auctioneering team did a nice job. Sometimes I go to auctions (including with my stuff up for sale) and feel like the auction team just don't know what to do. I was at one 12 months ago in Marietta, and it was terrible. The Aires' really
took a beating, and they likely didn't even know it.

Things they did before auction at Lloyd's:
Starting every car before the festivities
leaving the cars unlocked
starting them before each car was offered, went a long way.

I could go on, but your get the idea. You can tell when pre-planning is done.

So bottom line, I hope the old guy enjoys the 27 Flying Cloud. Sure he paid for it fair-and-square, but he also has a little bit of responsibility to the car, and the hobby we all love so much.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #37
al's28/33

I think the real point is being the proper steward or guardian of the antique/classic car for the time that you own it.
It's like having personal ownership of a fine piece of art in your home. You would display it safely and securely and have it insured. You look at it, study it, admire it and proudly boast of it's stately features. Would you erase the smile of the Mona Lisa and add vampire fangs to her ??
I have dreamed of owning my "A" since I was in grammar school. I am now 52 and have owned it for 20 years and still flood the engine from time to time trying to cold start it. I have worked on the carburetor, the horn, the gas gauge, the interior upholstery and searched all these past 20 years to locate the "period correct" components for a mid-year 1928 Model "A"...……. HOWEVER...….. I do not have the tools or space or experience to work on major engine/transmission issues and I do not feel knowledgeable enough to work on the brakes myself. I have found others from local clubs to work on those parts with my assistance and I do have a local mechanic willing to work on the front end alignment. I do not have the means to do body work, welding and repainting but I truly admire those who can.
I have found many of the FORDBARN members reasonably eager to help with my questions posted here and with full use of the internet I can locate distant shops and specialists who can help too. All those options are what makes the old car hobby so enjoyable. Just like the Mona Lisa, it was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. Being the proper guardians of our cars means we need to be responsible and keep them safe and reliable on the road. I also own a 1933 Ford V8 pickup which has different parts and problems but I have managed to restore it back and road safe. If I had the space and bottomless pockets I would have an early brass era car or Model "T" parked in my garage too ….. someday.....
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:46 PM   #38
CWPASADENA

A member of my local Model A Club bought his Model A about 15 years ago. He had no real mechanical experience and knew nothing about a Model A. With some help and guidance from other club members, he restored the car and then he and his wife proceeded to tour with the car. Sometimes it was an organized tour but often not. The have been all over the U.S. and have racked up more than 100K miles on the car. I think he is on his third engine.

If a person is willing to learn and ask for a little help from others, they can make good Model A owners.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #39
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
I think the real point is being the proper steward or guardian of the antique/classic car for the time that you own it.
It's like having personal ownership of a fine piece of art in your home. You would display it safely and securely and have it insured. You look at it, study it, admire it and proudly boast of it's stately features. Would you erase the smile of the Mona Lisa and add vampire fangs to her ??
I have dreamed of owning my "A" since I was in grammar school. I am now 52 and have owned it for 20 years and still flood the engine from time to time trying to cold start it. I have worked on the carburetor, the horn, the gas gauge, the interior upholstery and searched all these past 20 years to locate the "period correct" components for a mid-year 1928 Model "A"...……. HOWEVER...….. I do not have the tools or space or experience to work on major engine/transmission issues and I do not feel knowledgeable enough to work on the brakes myself. I have found others from local clubs to work on those parts with my assistance and I do have a local mechanic willing to work on the front end alignment. I do not have the means to do body work, welding and repainting but I truly admire those who can.
I have found many of the FORDBARN members reasonably eager to help with my questions posted here and with full use of the internet I can locate distant shops and specialists who can help too. All those options are what makes the old car hobby so enjoyable. Just like the Mona Lisa, it was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. Being the proper guardians of our cars means we need to be responsible and keep them safe and reliable on the road. I also own a 1933 Ford V8 pickup which has different parts and problems but I have managed to restore it back and road safe. If I had the space and bottomless pockets I would have an early brass era car or Model "T" parked in my garage too ….. someday.....

I would have liked to have written this, very well done. Congratulations.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #40
Ted Duke

I only knew of ONE Model A Ford in the rural community I grew up in back in the forties and fifties. Yes, strange, but true.

In 1971 I bought a Model A Rdstr PU and started disassembly with my three very young sons. I found the RUST had been covered well and I had made a stupid mistake. Long story, I finally running in late 2021 but need to install the top.

I know people who have bought a running one and drove it. I know some who chopped their A into a rod.

IMHO there are too many people who want to run other people's lives. I wish someone would restore and love EVERY old car, but I don't think I have the right to tell you what to do with your car and I don't understand why people get charged up about it.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Rant over.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #41
slatgrille

At one time these cars were plentiful so those who could and wanted to, customized them. While I agree mostly with, 'my car, my choice', I think a rarity issue comes into play. As a WWII jeep aficionado, I'm also interested in the cars Willys-Overland produced pre-war. The 'Americar' was built alongside the first prototype MA jeep, so I've longed to see it at shows. Alas, most were later chopped as rods or dragsters. Only original one I've seen is in a museum in Boothbay, ME
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM   #42
Cool Hand Lurker

If I could simplify this discussion it would be: "Do it my way, or get off my planet!!"
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #43
AzBob

Following up with nkaminar's original post, some folks have purchased Model A's that have limited mechanical ability and or troubleshooting skills. They are the ones who struggle to keep it running and properly maintained. Unless they have access to Model A mechanic or help from club members, most eventually become discouraged and sell the "A" after finding out a 91+ plus year old car is not for them.
Have seen recent examples of this on the forums lately.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:34 PM   #44
hazelhoff

What I believe to be true: “you will never ever truly OWN anything until you take it apart and rebuild it”. If not, you’ll just be possessing it …
Old 01-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #45
Raaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
hmmmmm...

more division, maybe just appreciate the fact that we can enjoy the hobby, even if someone's car is not to Our liking.

John
Thank you.
Raaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #46
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
If I could simplify this discussion it would be: "Do it my way, or get off my planet!!"
Best post yet!
Old 01-29-2022, 01:37 AM   #47
CC-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
This post is not meant to be insulting to anyone, it is just something that I have observed. Some people who buy Model A’s are not qualified to repair or maintain them. I am the same way with my new Toyota Camry hybrid. I have not even opened the hood. I take it to the dealer for regular service and would do the same it I had a problem with it. I am sure most new Model A owners in 1928 were the same way. They took it to the dealer for service or if something was amiss.

The Ford dealer is no longer equipped to work on a Model A. The same with most automotive repair shops (there are exceptions). So the Model A owner becomes his own mechanic. Or, if they are lucky, they have a Model A mechanic in the local area and can afford to have them work on the car. Other lucky new Model A owners are capable of learning how to work on their cars. But I see owners who are not mechanically inclined and who are struggling. Our job is to try and help these people but in some cases it is difficult. In my opinion, there are some people, who because of circumstances, should not buy Model A’s.

How do others feel about this?
Do you own a computer?
If so, do you maintain/rebuild it on your own?
If no, should you be aimed to not buy or own one?
CC-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #48
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
What I believe to be true: “you will never ever truly OWN anything until you take it apart and rebuild it”. If not, you’ll just be possessing it …
I don't see how you can expect a 90 year old car to be reliable unless you pull it all apart and check everything or pay someone to do it.

A kid can "restore" one of these without any documention. They are very forgiving and it will get them around for some time.
However, to do it properly takes lots of time and effort.
Most people have no idea how much time and effort and expense it takes to restore any aging vehicle even at 20 years old.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #49
Oldbluoval

Do you own a computer?
If so, do you maintain/rebuild it on your own?
If no, should you be aimed to not buy or own one?

But I can take it to a specialist, call Geek Squad and get it fixed or trash it and get another.
Can’t likely do that with a collector car ……but can move it on and get another (becomes problem #2 !)
To me no analogy
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #50
Kurt in NJ

Some people it doesn't matter what car, one customer at work has a daughter that has done in 5 cars in the last 2 years, one car we put in 2 engines, then it got wrecked, got nearly a year out of that one
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #51
redmodelt

My OP is anyone that says one group of people should not own one, should not own one either. That, in my OP comes under the same heading as people that say if you can't afford to join a club or have enough money to buy top shelf parts, should not own one. If everyone knew how to fix them, we would not need these forums.

Back then is no different from now, that is why there have been repair shops or blacksmiths for as long as there have been cars or wagons.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:40 PM   #52
Cool Hand Lurker

" If everyone knew how to fix them, we would not need these forums."

Right on!For me this is a hobby, not a religion.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #53
PinoleMike

See thread #17.
Nothing more, nothing less.
It's their choice not yours!
PinoleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #54
mercman from oz

In support of non mechanical folks owning a Model A.
This is a follow on from my article number16 in this thread. It is in support of others like myself who have no or little mechanical skill. I shan’t repeat my point of view I made in 16 but here is another reason to support my thoughts and position.
I lend my A’s to any person or body who so asks to use it. Mostly wedding parties for the bride to travel to the church and for the newly weds to travel to the reception. For Santa to visit the kids or for the curiosity or pleasure of any individual. Some are concerned they may scratch or damage it. I assure them it was a heap of shit when I purchased it and any damage is repairable. It was also the first motorcar many drove. Crunching gears was a common practise and the motorcar has become quite accustomed to that. It gives many people considerable pleasure to drive it and return it. I am generous and not protective. At motorcar displays many vehicles have a notice which invites onlookers to look at and enjoy but not touch. I invite people to look and handle. Put finger prints all over. Or to lift the bonnet and view the engine.
Now, because I am only a mechanics bootlace should I be deprived from owning this old girl with which I am besotted? Gary
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #55
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I invite people to look and handle. Put finger prints all over. Or to lift the bonnet and view the engine.
Now, because I am only a mechanics bootlace should I be deprived from owning this old girl with which I am besotted? Gary[/B][/SIZE]
Of course not!
You and all you interact with are having FUN!

The people who probably should not own old cars are the ones who become bitter and grouchy because the experience is more problematic than they expected or desire.....
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #56
Cool Hand Lurker

"Now, because I am only a mechanics bootlace should I be deprived from owning this old girl with which I am besotted? Gary"

Sorry Gary, you have to give it up. I will come by and pick it up as soon as I can find a road that will get me to Queensland.

Dennis Born of Minnesota, USA
Old 02-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #57
Brendan

i am a Backyard Mechanic ,before i bought it i did not know nothing about a Model A. I am no expert but i keep it on the road. if i did not know how how to wrench on old Fords i could not afford them

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #58
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
If you have the money you should be able to own a Model A. Period.

Now if you take that Model A on a public road you have an obligation to the public, your passengers and yourself to have it in good working order, i.e. good brakes, good steering, etc. How you get it to and maintain it in good working order is your call and your responsibility. Period.

How dare anyone think that they have the right to say who should and who shouldn't own a Model A.
I agree100 %. Well said.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #59
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
"Now, because I am only a mechanics bootlace should I be deprived from owning this old girl with which I am besotted? Gary"

Sorry Gary, you have to give it up. I will come by and pick it up as soon as I can find a road that will get me to Queensland.

Dennis Born of Minnesota, USA
You should speak to Caractacus Potts. He, his girl friend and two kids flew the English Channel with ease in their modified motorcar. I’m sure he could modify your A to get you across the Pacific to Queensland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 09.19.17.jpg (14.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 09.21.16.jpg (12.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 02-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #60
Cool Hand Lurker

Nope. No chittychittybangbang. It was scary enough when we were about to cross the Pacific to go to Hawaii and struck an Eagle. I was sitting by the window looking at the engine when the eagle parts flew past, the flame came out of the engine, the engine quit, popped, started, quit and thankfully the pilot turned around. I saw the plane afterwards and the cowling was flattened from the 10 - 2 positions. This engine was big enough to stand in the cowling so the eagle was BIG. No way am I going to hop into some chittychittybangbang just because some other fool did it. And I know that is true because I saw it on a movie and you have to believe what you see. Besides, it would be too cold with the top down. Nope, gonna keep my feet on the ground now!
Old 02-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #61
jrelliott

Think anyone that wants a Model A and can afford it should be allowed to purchase it. Those that are not mechanically inclined will find the vehicle difficult to drive so the luster will go off, or they will have a problem that is beyond their capability so have to expend big bucks. The ones that the luster has gone away will usually sell them quickly. Luckily I have mechanical, electrical, and wood working skills so owning and repairing is not a big problem. For something that I cannot repair or will not attempt, get an expert. I enjoyed the process of a full restoration and know just about every part intimately. I take great pride in driving my vehicle and showing the pictures of the before and after.. It was truely a basket case and many of the parts were in cans and buckets.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote