Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default Thread Chase Kit Recomendations

So I need to chase all the bolt holes in my flathead block and know enough to not use taps, rather thread chase tools. I have done a preliminary google, saw some stuff on Amazon, but many of the kits have a metric content, which I don't want/need. Anyone have a kit/brand recommendation or is it better to buy individual ones as needed? I will check with my local Ace Hardware but I believe I'll end up having to order something. Thanks!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Thread Chase Kit Recomendations

I'll send you mine to use IF you like!!!! Thread chasing/cleaning kit NOT a tap and die set
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Shoebox

Well, that is very generous,... I'm not opposed to buying a good kit, or perhaps you have accumulated these over time. I will PM you. Thank you.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 01-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
corvette8n

I was lucky bought a Craftsman set when Sears was going belly up, looks a lot like the one in the picture I paid less than $50. I didn’t think I would use the metric, but I have used it on my truck, wife’s Toyota and lawnmower in addition to the SAE on a couple of flathead blocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7BF0F7F8-591F-49C3-B166-6A1607B12947.jpg (29.3 KB, 50 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
So I need to chase all the bolt holes in my flathead block and know enough to not use taps, rather thread chase tools. Anyone have a kit/brand recommendation or is it better to buy individual ones as needed?

Why not cut a slot in a few necessary bolt sizes to create (for next to nothing) your own chasers? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
Shoebox

Smile Re: Thread Chase Kit Recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Why not cut a slot in a few necessary bolt sizes to create (for next to nothing) your own chasers? DD

True, I have done that once or twice. Just looking for an excuse to buy more tools.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 01-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I was lucky bought a Craftsman set when Sears was going belly up, looks a lot like the one in the picture I paid less than $50. I didn’t think I would use the metric, but I have used it on my truck, wife’s Toyota and lawnmower in addition to the SAE on a couple of flathead blocks.

Ya, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Ya, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.
Scott

Post #4, that picture is my exact kit!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I have this kit and the "deluxe kit-it includes a few more". I use these multiple times a week. Best tool investment I've made.

I forget who actually makes it (Apex tool maybe), but it the same kit sold on Snap On trucks, etc.

Make sure you get the US-made one. Well worth the purchase.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #10
drfromnc

I bought one from Summit Racing. Seems to work well and it was $37.99

Summit Racing part #SUM-900199 - Summit Racing™ Complete Thread Cleaning Kits

Also had to buy 2 individual ones from eBay for head coolant ports and drain cock ports in the block.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #11
ford38v8

For any Newbys reading this thread, don’t even chase the threads on an early banjo if you can help it. Those threads are made purposely tight to help prevent oil leaks. They still need Locktite, but they should not spin in easily with your fingers.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
DavidG

Alan,

Very, very good advice.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:

I'd done this very often during my career. This method aids in removing the debris at the same time. Just apply a small amount of grease...
Old 01-25-2022, 06:59 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:

The nuts that come in the kit have save countless bolts that have had boogered up threads.

Pick up that inexpensive kit from Summit and you'll see the difference. Chasers have been life savers when trying to reuse old Ford bolts and nuts.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #15
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
The nuts that come in the kit have save countless bolts that have had boogered up threads.

Pick up that inexpensive kit from Summit and you'll see the difference. Chasers have been life savers when trying to reuse old Ford bolts and nuts.

I believe you Tim.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
I believe you Tim.
Haha. I'm sure you do, but I replying to DD's post.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:26 PM   #17
[email protected]

I see you are from Wisconsin, you must be familiar with Fleet-Farm I purchased a set of thread chasers from Fleet-Farm.
abguse67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:49 PM   #18
Scotty's 52 F3

Jawco is a brand made in U.S.A.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:23 PM   #19
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox;2.098379
So I need to chase all the bolt holes in my flathead block and know enough to not use taps, rather thread chase tools. I have done a preliminary google, saw some stuff on Amazon, but many of the kits have a metric content, which I don't want/need. Anyone have a kit/brand recommendation or is it better to buy individual ones as needed? I will check with my local Ace Hardware but I believe I'll end up having to order something. Thanks!
Hello Shoebox; Not a kit but you might try different size firearms bore cleaning brushes on a tap handle or an electric drill. Good luck, Craig.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:28 PM   #20
RalphG

Ok, I will show my ignorance here by asking why not use tap and die set to clean up the thread on used nuts and bolts on anything? I have a good (Hanson) tap and die set and have used it for years to clean threads on any rusty or damaged threads I've had to work with. No ill effects that I've ever noticed.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #21
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Ok, I will show my ignorance here by asking why not use tap and die set to clean up the thread on used nuts and bolts on anything? I have a good (Hanson) tap and die set and have used it for years to clean threads on any rusty or damaged threads I've had to work with. No ill effects that I've ever noticed.
Just my 2 cents, taps and dies are cutting tools and remove base material. Thread chasers are less aggressive and not very good at removing base material; in my experience they remove the crap but not the base material.

A chaser removes the crap which is what you want to do.

A tap/die also removes the crap but if you're unlucky/unskilled you'll inadvertently remove more than the crap and enlarge threads or remove more material than you wanted to.

I have a high quality tap and die set as well as a thread chaser set. I love the thread chaser set and use it a lot. I love the tap and die set too but rarely use it, only when making new threads.

A crude analogy is comparing sand paper to a saw.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post

Taps & dies are hardened and designed to CUT threads (REMOVE metal), whereas a thread CHASER is the nominal size of a standard bolt, and will simply move DEFORMED metal around (boogered threads) to comply with the original shape that was normally displaced by a standard-sized bolt (or nut), as well as cleaning any dirt and grunge in the threads.

This is important, especially in certain parts on old Fords and others. As stated by Alan ABOVE, rear end BANJO bolt holes are a special UNDERSIZE, where along with their special OVERSIZED bolts, are designed to help seal against leakage of rear end lube. If you use a tap, it will remove metal in the threads to a looser, standard bolt size. The same thing applies with flathead HEAD BOLT threads in the deck surface of a block. NEVER use a tap on either one of these Ford items. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 01-25-2022 at 11:00 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #23
Pete

I have asked this question many times in classes I have given and yet to get an answer that complies with the laws of physics.

"Concerning the use of thread chasers as opposed to the proper tap, if the thread in question was tapped at the factory with a standard tolerance tap what makes you think a standard tap is going to remove more metal from that hole than the original tap did other than damage?"

For a thread to hold properly, both male and female parts need to be BARE metal, not rusty, scaly debris as left by an undersize chaser. Thread chasers do have one good value, they enable the sellers to buy new yachts.
If after tapping an old hole and there are rust pits and debris left in the hole, it needs a repair insert.

Questionable holes are easily tested before assembly. The method has been posted several times on this forum previously.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:46 AM   #24
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I have asked this question many times in classes I have given and yet to get an answer that complies with the laws of physics.

"Concerning the use of thread chasers as opposed to the proper tap, if the thread in question was tapped at the factory with a standard tolerance tap what makes you think a standard tap is going to remove more metal from that hole than the original tap did other than damage?"

For a thread to hold properly, both male and female parts need to be BARE metal, not rusty, scaly debris as left by an undersize chaser. Thread chasers do have one good value, they enable the sellers to buy new yachts.
If after tapping an old hole and there are rust pits and debris left in the hole, it needs a repair insert.

Questionable holes are easily tested before assembly. The method has been posted several times on this forum previously.

Pete, your question sounds a bit intimidating, but I'll give it a shot and believe I can give you the answer that does comply with the laws of physics.
The rust and debris that finds its way into a cut thread will never do so in a uniform manor, but rather, in a random manner, heavy here, lighter there, none somewhere else. The thread chaser will be bound by the steel thread on one side, and cut through the impurities on the other side, while a tap will bully its way through, cutting both steel and impurities. Moreover, the chaser will reshape and restore bunged up threads, while the tap will cut right through misaligned threads, removing steel rather than cleaning. In support of my analysis, you'll remember the advice given for cutting new as well as cleaning old threads by hand: 'Do not allow a buildup of displaced material to accumulate before the cutter, else the cutter may bind and gall the work'.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:23 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Pete, your question sounds a bit intimidating, but I'll give it a shot and believe I can give you the answer that does comply with the laws of physics.
The rust and debris that finds its way into a cut thread will never do so in a uniform manor, but rather, in a random manner, heavy here, lighter there, none somewhere else. The thread chaser will be bound by the steel thread on one side, and cut through the impurities on the other side, while a tap will bully its way through, cutting both steel and impurities. Moreover, the chaser will reshape and restore bunged up threads, while the tap will cut right through misaligned threads, removing steel rather than cleaning. In support of my analysis, you'll remember the advice given for cutting new as well as cleaning old threads by hand: 'Do not allow a buildup of displaced material to accumulate before the cutter, else the cutter may bind and gall the work'.

Allan, excellent explanation. I give a recent example of where chasers came in handy. I am not a machinist by any means, but I had to cut some threads on the end of a rod to use for an emergency brake pull.

Once done, tried to get the nut on and it wouldn't go. I could see at the end, the thread had an odd finish to it. I placed the chaser nut over it and I could feel the resistance, but then it went down the threads.

Took off the chaser and the nut went on nicely. In this case, the chaser smoothed out the fresh cut threads, but didn't remove any material.

Not a scientific example, but a recent one of mine.

I also agree with the cleaning bit. I use cutting oil with the chaser dies and then once done, I'll hit the hole, nut or bolt with a spirit of brake cleaner. It's surprising how much crap come out of the holes, even after the part has been cleaned.

Thinking about it more, after 80 or more years, is it possible that threads get deformed, even so slightly, from being taken apart and put back together with an over achiever at the other end of the wrench?

If that is the case, the die cuts the material vs. a chaser reshaping the material.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-26-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #26
Shoebox

Thanks guys for the thoughts, opinions and recommendations! I ended up adding the SUM-900199 chase kit to my Centerforce clutch order (free shipping), will see how that works out.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 01-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #27
tubman

There is one important factor that has been missed here, That is the matter of thread classes. Thread fit is a measure of looseness or tightness of mating threads. For unified inch threads, there are 3 thread classes for external threads 1A, 2A, and 3A and three for internal threads 1B, 2B, and 3B. All of these are “clearance fits” which indicates that they assemble without interference.

It is my understanding that the threaded holes in a flathead block are of a different class than is generally used. A regular tap and die set is most likely specified to the most common thread class. By definition, it would always remove metal when used on threads of a "tighter" class. This is why Ford head studs didn't leak from the factory, but have a tendency to do so on some rebuilds. Chasers, if properly designed, will be looser than the tightest specified thread class and therefore would not remove any metal.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #28
Bruce of MN

I have one of these; available elsewhere, too.

https://www.toolsid.com/lang-tools/2...-mpn-2581.html
Bruce of MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 PM   #29
A bones

The term as I heard it was "interference fit".