Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #41
Ford blue blood

Default Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

One more tri-tone. Very early production (first day Louisville plant) August 1957.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110Edsel 019.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel001.jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel work 19.jpg (74.4 KB, 20 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #42
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Now, I ain't b!tching, so don't take this wrong ...

Where is and what color is the third tone? I can't see it from the photo and I have no EDSEL MPC to cross it.

Where in the car did you find the build sheet?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #43
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

The below post (1st in thread) is from another thread - 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...07#post2083907 - but is actually a continuation of this present thread.

I want to connect the two so that anyone researching this subject in the future will hopefully have easy access to either thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post

Since we're on the subject of data plate decoding, I had Dad send me the one off his '56 crown. Here's what I've dug up. That pesky production code is the only part that seems to be questionable (like the early '57 posted prior). Any comments/corrections welcome.

One noteworthy thing here is the production date; May 2nd. We were always under the impression this was an early production car due to the air-cooled Fordomatic transmission. Anyone have an any info when they switched to the liquid-cooled FOM?

Attachment 479857

P = 312 4v
6 = 1956
D = Dallas Assembly Plant
W = Crown Victoria
198517 = 98,517th car assembled
64A = Fairlane Crown Victoria (steel top)
L = Peacock Blue (lower body)
E = Colonial White (upper body)
S = Style-Tone (tu-tone)
AN = White Vinyl & Dark Peacock Cloth
2E = May 2, 1956
10 = Dealer Code
7D = Scheduled Item #

Thanks,

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #44
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
!!! DAMN !!!

I just asked for a photo. You didn't have to make me cry. That car is more beautiful than DOLLY PARTON.

Any who, the paint scheme is STYLE-TONE. I think the character 2 distinguishes it from the CONVENTIONAL TWO-TONE. Yours is what the one poster @ 57fordsforever described as THREE-TONE, but actually is TWO-TONE applied in a different format.

More info and PAINT CHART is here - http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

I am waiting for some early info and as I figure it our, I will update this thread.

You tell your daddy I said he has class ...

Thanks, Kultulz! It’s his favorite of the collection. Fairly low optioned for a 500, but has the 312, Fordomatic, radio (t&c), rear speaker, heater, windshield washers & backup lights. He added the town & country and day/night mirror back when you could still buy that stuff for a reasonable price at the swap meets. We have a ‘57 Fairlane 2-dr sedan parts car with a complete power steering setup. Maybe add that one day.

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #45
Late model

Quote:
THANX for the plate info.

The troubles seems to lie in the ASSEMBLY PLANT(s) using different coding on the same plate style. The one you show (FORD CATALOGING) shows a plate from DEARBORN ASSY. You can plainly see the difference(s) between this plate and the one being discussed, DALLAS ASSY.

I have captured several plates and all of the examples I have from a limited number of ASSY PLANTS shows different coding style for each.

You're correct in the printing date and its showing an early 57 PLATE. FORD even issued PRELIMINARY WSM's as some dealers got early delivery.

Now, how much for your catalog? ...

FORGOT- (as usual)

Is the CATALOG bound or loose leaf?
Sorry, but it's not for sale.
It's a bound OEM parts manual in good condition, actually too good to take out to the shop so I use a downloaded 1949-1959 manual in out there. I just print out what I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 ford parts manual G.jpg (79.4 KB, 13 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #46
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late model View Post

Sorry, but it's not for sale.

It's a bound OEM parts manual in good condition, actually too good to take out to the shop so I use a downloaded 1949-1959 manual in out there. I just print out what I need.
I like the CD versions as as well as the originals do not get torn up, WSM also. Much info was dropped with the FINAL ISSUE.

Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #47
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Yours has the STYLE-TONE PAINT SCHEME -

Below find the EXT PAINT CHART for the 1957 model run. At the very bottom of the chart you will find the paint scheme definitions.

http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

There are two STYLE-TONE schemes. I am not sure at this point if the 2 in the code differentiates the two STYLE-TONE SCHEMES.

The chart is from JERRYS CLASSIC CARS to give credit where credit is due.

ADDENDUM - (Fr.)

Now is this car a survivor or restoration. Is it a driver or mostly show?

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-11-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: CRS
Old 12-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #48
alt63bird

The production code string for '55-mid '57 is something that can get confusing real quick. The first 2-3 digits (#X or ##X) for date is not in dispute. The following digits depend on how the car was ordered as several have pointed out - finding the pattern on full-size cars as to usage of a two-digit alpha-numeric code for District Sales Office will take some quantity of samples to get an educated guess or better, along with the letter that ends the string, such as 'P' or 'C' or whatever. General concurrence is that following the date/DSO code that the remaining numbers indicate either the number of units produced for the day at that assembly plant, or number of units produced for the day or from the beginning of production if it's preceded by a DSO code, and that the ending letter designation is for kind of order, which needs a little more study on my part and others to see what's been discussed previously for this item.

I think it's fairly conclusive that the production code doesn't give the axle or transmission selection from what I've studied and read over the past 4 decades.

Now, for the exterior paint code string, it well could be that the number could also represent the type of two-tone it got, whether a traditional solid body lower color and roof of the other color, or the 'Styletone' scheme with lower body/roof color and contrasting upper body/hood/trunk color. It may not directly relate to '57s, but as late as 1961-1962 Ford did follow two-digit two-tone paint codes (first letter = body color, second letter = roof color) with a third digit indicating what kind/style of two-tone was applied, especially for 1960-1961 Fords. A two-tone code with '1' from '60-'61 indicated a traditional two-tone with solid body color and roof of the second color; with the way the '60 Ford's panels/side trim separated the roof/trunk and roof sides, a '2' indicated the 'Styletone' scheme with solid body color and top of roof, with side panel of roof being the second color; a '3' indicated the upper surfaces of the hood/trunk and roof were the contrasting color, with the roof side getting body color (? - I get this confused as it wasn't documented very well). In '61 the full-size cars had 2 possible two-tone variations thanks to the trim on the edge of the roof of Galaxie models carried over from '60, and theoretically the T-bird, with its fender peak molding creating a separation for hood/trunk color, but no mention was made in sales literature for a two-tone combo other than the basic body/roof separation. T-bird data plates for '61 often had a '1' following the two-letter code for the body/roof colors: there are some early '62s that continued to use the number '1' after the two-digit code, and a few early T-bird Landaus with vinyl roofs had an 'A' or 'B' after the single-digit body color for the vinyl roof color (black or white).

Digging out dealer showroom albums and selection charts may help with understanding how Ford coded the differing two-tone/Styletone combinations available in the late '50s-early '60s. Production codes, however, are probably going to require a sampling of entries from data plates to look for patterns.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #49
yblock57

Default Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:
Yours has the STYLE-TONE PAINT SCHEME -

Below find the EXT PAINT CHART for the 1957 model run. At the very bottom of the chart you will find the paint scheme definitions.

http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

There are two STYLE-TONE schemes. I am not sure at this point if the 2 in the code differentiates the two STYLE-TONE SCHEMES.

The chart is from JERRYS CLASSIC CARS to give credit where credit is due.

ADDENDUM - (Fr.)

Now is this car a survivor or restoration. Is it a driver or mostly show?
Thanks for the clarification on the paint scheme code.

It’s a driver — repainted in 1996. Someone put seat covers with incorrect pattern but door panels carpet & headliner are original. Engine doesn’t appear to have ever been out of the car. No way to know for sure, unless opened up. Still runs very well. Floors are original rust-free and still have factory overspray visible. Dad’s owned since 1979. No documentation before he got it. Would be cool to know what dealer it was sold new.

Last edited by yblock57; 12-12-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #50
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Now, I ain't b!tching, so don't take this wrong ...

Where is and what color is the third tone? I can't see it from the photo and I have no EDSEL MPC to cross it.

Where in the car did you find the build sheet?

The colors are Joquine Yellow (body), Sunset Coral (coves) and Snow White (roof). It is known on the Edsel group site as the QER Pacer. Not my naming but that given by the folks over there. They claim only three were built, color combination was dropped in August of 57.

The build sheet was in the area where the dash wraps around under the windshield on the drivers side.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #51
KULTULZ

Quote:
They claim only three were built, color combination was dropped in August of 57.
THANX for the clarification. You might be a wealthy man

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #52
KULTULZ

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification on the paint scheme code.

It’s a driver — repainted in 1996. Someone put seat covers with incorrect pattern but door panels carpet & headliner are original. Engine doesn’t appear to have ever been out of the car. No way to know for sure, unless opened up. Still runs very well. Floors are original rust-free and still have factory overspray visible. Dad’s owned since 1979. No documentation before he got it. Would be cool to know what dealer it was sold new.
It may well be within the PRODUCTION CODE, but I would think the DISTRICT SALES would be there instead.

Let me back away from my decoding your PRODUCTION CODE until I hopefully gather more concise information. When I find something definite, I will post it on this thread.

Yeah, PS and PB would be two nice additions.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #53
yblock57

Quote:
It may well be within the PRODUCTION CODE, but I would think the DISTRICT SALES would be there instead.

Let me back away from my decoding your PRODUCTION CODE until I hopefully gather more concise information. When I find something definite, I will post it on this thread.

Yeah, PS and PB would be two nice additions.

10-4. Appreciate all the help [emoji1303]

Old 12-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #54
KULTULZ

Quote:

10-4. Appreciate all the help [emoji1303]
And I appreciate your sharing in return ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #55
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

- UPDATE ON ONGOING SAGA -

I come to you with a heavy heart. I have discovered that the early PATENT PLATE PRODUCTION CODE does not include TRANS/REAR info but only the BUILD DATE. The rest of the coding is unexplained for now.

This discussion - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5454.0 - will illustrate what I misinterpreted as someone else did also.

Now, this does not answer the 2 in the EXT PAINT CODE or the variances in differing ASSY PLANT PLATES. I am still working on it.

If the needed decode is not found in the 55/57 FORD PARTS CATALOG, then the info was not available to the field. I know that when I was in it (1970-1990), any car that came through with a DSO CODE and wasn't described fully in the MPC, one had to contact DEARBORN cataloging for the the build info. I have a feeling this is the explanation (but then again, I have been wrong before).

The TRANS was identified easily by the assembly tag, the REAR was a crap-shoot as not all came through with tags in all years (1954-57). And there is not REAR TAG info decoding in the 49/59 MPC.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #56
yblock57

Default Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:
- UPDATE ON ONGOING SAGA -

I come to you with a heavy heart. I have discovered that the early PATENT PLATE PRODUCTION CODE does not include TRANS/REAR info but only the BUILD DATE. The rest of the coding is unexplained for now.

This discussion - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5454.0 - will illustrate what I misinterpreted as someone else did also.

Now, this does not answer the 2 in the EXT PAINT CODE or the variances in differing ASSY PLANT PLATES. I am still working on it.

If the needed decode is not found in the 55/57 FORD PARTS CATALOG, then the info was not available to the field. I know that when I was in it (1970-1990), any car that came through with a DSO CODE and wasn't described fully in the MPC, one had to contact DEARBORN cataloging for the the build info. I have a feeling this is the explanation (but then again, I have been wrong before).

The TRANS was identified easily by the assembly tag, the REAR was a crap-shoot as not all came through with tags in all years (1954-57). And there is not REAR TAG info decoding in the 49/59 MPC.

Appreciate the follow-up, and all the leg work. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you think Dearborn still has any records from that era on this stuff? I know the factory invoices are available for mid-55-57 ‘birds, but have never heard of any passenger car or truck records from that era being available.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #57
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . .
Do you think Dearborn still has any records from that era on this stuff? I know the factory invoices are available for mid-55-57 ‘birds, but have never heard of any passenger car or truck records from that era being available.
Here is another source for some 60's, 70's & 80's original information & documents, although the selection is very limited.

https://www.martiauto.com/originalinvoices.cfm
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #58
alt63bird

Search here and in Google "Rotunda fire 1962" and prepare to cry. A lot of records from 1953-early 60s went up in smoke because of it.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #59
KULTULZ

Post Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

Appreciate the follow-up, and all the leg work. Thanks for clarifying.
No problem. It seems to me I was going to do this some years ago but as usual, CRS blinded my way.

Still working on it. It just so happened the sequence of your PRODUCTION CODE fit within certain parameters (where's the boy getting all of these college words ... ).

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #60
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post
Search here and in Google "Rotunda fire 1962" and prepare to cry. A lot of records from 1953-early 60s went up in smoke because of it.

Remember reading an article about that. Good point, unfortunately.

The Henry Ford website shows this;

The following books from the Car & Parts Magazine Matching Numbers Series can help you decode VIN numbers:

Catalog of American Car ID Numbers 1950-1959

Wonder if it has anything additional besides the already known fields.