Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
Dooley

Default Electric Fuel Pump location

i am running an electric fuel pump in my 36 Ford. it has a small block Chevy motor and there is no room for the stock mechanical.

the current set up has the pump on the floor riser with the line coming form the tank over the crossmember to the pump and out.

At half tank i get an intermittent fuel starvation issue which I believe is because of the fuel line over the crossmember.
How do you guys run electric pumps and fuel lines?
thanks

Current pump is carter but looking at a facet pump as well.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump location

Electric pumps push better than they pull.

I generally mount electric pumps as close to the tank as possible on the inside of the frame. Most electric pumps like to be vertical, some can be mounted horizonally. Make sure you install a filter in the line before the pump.
I like to wire a separate switch in the power line to the pump, however, in your case since you are running only an electric pump I would suggest an oil pressure switch in the power line before the voltage switch.
In the event of an accident the oil pressure switch will kill the fuel pump as soon as the engine stops running, and thereby avoiding a fuel fire.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Electric pumps push better than they pull.

I generally mount electric pumps as close to the tank as possible on the inside of the frame. Most electric pumps like to be vertical, some can be mounted horizonally. Make sure you install a filter in the line before the pump.
I like to wire a separate switch in the power line to the pump, however, in your case since you are running only an electric pump I would suggest an oil pressure switch in the power line before the voltage switch.
In the event of an accident the oil pressure switch will kill the fuel pump as soon as the engine stops running, and thereby avoiding a fuel fire.
Absolutely, inside the frame rail and as close to the tank (as low as possible).
At one time I used an oil pressure switch but changed to the current setup;
"repurposed" relay for power (using the ignition switch as pilot duty only) AND a Ford fuel pump inertia switch for safety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford relay.jpg (17.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg inertia switch.jpeg (28.2 KB, 34 views)
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
blucar

In theory an oil pressure switch will engage/trigger with the pressure generated by the cranking speed of the engine. It is quite simple to mount the pressure switch via a T in the block where the stock oil pressure gauge sender is mounted.
The one thing I don't like about a pressure switch is that the pump can't be used to prime the carb on an engine that has sat for several days/weeks.

Additionally, the electric pump can't be used to break through a vapor lock.
I have had an electric pump wired into my '36 Ford coupe since 1953 due to the fact that the flathead Ford engines are famous for vapor locks on a hot summer day and/or failing at the most inconvenient time.

A friend of mine recently relayed a very unnerving story to me about harvested junk yard parts... The story was about a guy that harvested an electric fuel pump from a late model fuel injected engine. The pump was put on an engine that had a carb. The engine was started with no thought as to how much pressure the electric pump put out, it was for sure more than the 3.5/4. pounds for a carb. The fuel system blew apart spraying fuel all over the running engine, Bam!, a big fire resulted which consumed the vehicle.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #5
TJ

I mount mine on the back side of the crossmember and have a filter fitted before the pump. Plenty of protection on the backside and close to the tank. I only use it to prime the carb when the car sits for an extended period of time. I have a SBC motor and also have the stock pump on it(notched the front crossmember for clearance).
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
Dooley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do you have pics of how it is mounted on the crossmember?
I'm thinking of doing the same
thanks
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote