Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #21
GOSFAST

Default Re: Oil Pan Dipstick Mount Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Thank you Gary!! No more leaky dipstick tube!!
Hi Joe, below here's a shot of how your dipstick adapter will end up being fastened to the pan!

When we tested it for leaks the only issue was a slight leak from the bolt threads showing up as a drip from under the bolt heads.

We resolved it by lightly "spotfacing" the adapter and using very small copper washers under the bolts. Using sealer on the bolt threads would accomplish the same result but we wanted no leaks without any sealer in play!

Looks like a done-deal!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Got the Navarro's today, not exactly my choice for high-quality heads but "it is what it is". We'll deal with them and make them work, I'll call you on the weekend and explain! Have some pictures for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Pan Dipstick Mod-Components.jpg (57.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 05-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi Joe, below here's a shot of how your dipstick adapter will end up being fastened to the pan!

When we tested it for leaks the only issue was a slight leak from the bolt threads showing up as a drip from under the bolt heads.

We resolved it by lightly "spotfacing" the adapter and using very small copper washers under the bolts. Using sealer on the bolt threads would accomplish the same result but we wanted no leaks without any sealer in play!

Looks like a done-deal!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Got the Navarro's today, not exactly my choice for high-quality heads but "it is what it is". We'll deal with them and make them work, I'll call you on the weekend and explain! Have some pictures for you.
Hi Gary:

Curious what you found wrong or not optimal with the Navarro heads? I bought a set from Barney directly in '92 and have been holding them to use on my father's '32 Tudor sedan.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
Phil Gillespie

Been seeking a replacement dipstick tube boss. Seems like all suppliers are presently out of stock? Any suggestions as my one is worn in the internal thread.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #24
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Been seeking a replacement dipstick tube boss. Seems like all suppliers are presently out of stock? Any suggestions as my one is worn in the internal thread.
Phil NZ
Hi Phil, the aluminum adapters we have are all OK but they do appear thick enough to be able to install a 1/2-20 heli-coil. This would give all new threads to the old piece.

Never tried to fix one but looks doable??

When we dropped Joe's pan by my friend the welder he tried to talk me into letting him make an entirely new 1-pc adapter from steel and weld it straight to the pan. Guarantying absolutely no chance of a leak and no fasteners OR gaskets needed any longer! I told him I didn't feel we needed to go that far, he claimed it would be real easy for him to do and still not that expensive!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Hi Tim, with respect to the Navarro's, can't say about any of the older castings but these new ones definitely could have used much more care during the final machining! The ones I have here are not really what I expected to see with today's improved machining and casting techniques! I'll have more info on them a bit later in the month, will start a separate post!!

Last edited by GOSFAST; 05-10-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi Phil, the aluminum adapters we have are all OK but they do appear thick enough to be able to install a 1/2-20 heli-coil. This would give all new threads to the old piece.

Never tried to fix one but looks doable??

When we dropped Joe's pan by my friend the welder he tried to talk me into letting him make an entirely new 1-pc adapter from steel and weld it straight to the pan. Guarantying absolutely no chance of a leak and no fasteners OR gaskets needed any longer! I told him I didn't feel we needed to go that far, he claimed it would be real easy for him to do and still not that expensive!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Hi Tim, with respect to the Navarro's, can't say about any of the older castings but these new ones definitely could have used much more care during the final machining! The ones I have here are not really what I expected to see with today's improved machining and casting techniques! I'll have more info on them a bit later in the month, will start a separate post!!

Thank you! I'd be interested to hear what you found. I've heard the same about the new Navarro intakes.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #26
macdonge

Anxious to change out the 80 year old gasket, this is how I did the repair on mine. Used three 1/4" - 20 x 3/4" SS carriage bolts installed from the inside and tack welded to the pan. My thinking was that the carriage bolt head offered more contact area for the weld. Then used a new gasket, copper washers and SS nylok nuts on the outside. Fresh paint yet to be done (and apologies for the rookie welds). ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (33.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0769.jpg (28.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (29.1 KB, 40 views)
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Jack E/NJ

Drilled rivet heads off on an off-topic flathead. Punched rivet remains into pan. Slathered mount in silicone. Sheet-metal screwed it back on. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote