Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
jharrellh

Default Will I fit in a Roadster??

I am afraid I may have gotten the cart before the proverbial horse, but I am in the process of purchasing a nice '29 roadster to fulfill a lifelong dream. I have spent some time with a '30 tudor with no issues, but now a comment made by the seller has me a little worried.

So, what are your thoughts on a 5' 9" guy weighing in at 230 with a 30" inseam fitting in a stock roadster? Obviously have a bit of a beer gut, and dieting for a number of reasons
jharrellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
whirnot

Default Re: Will I fit in a Roadster??

Pretty tight....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
frank mcdaniels

I have a roadster but my seats aren’t stock so there back further and not as thick and I have lots of room . The thing I have noticed is that people want to grab the windshield stations when getting in and out.There is also a temptation to grab the steering wheel to pull yourself in.I suppose this happens in most model As but I have found it to be worse in the open models.That being said I have always thought the roadster was the ultimate. Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
CHuDWah

Dunno if this will help, but FWIW...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30-31-tudor.jpg (56.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 28-29-roadster.jpg (54.2 KB, 125 views)
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Ruth

Don't the later model Roadsters ('30-31) have more room the the '28-29?
Ruth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I have a 29 Roadster with a standard seat. I'm 5' 8" and 170 lbs. and it's a tight fit getting in and out of it, especially with the top up. The door is narrow and it's a tight squeeze between the back door pillar and the steering wheel.

I would recommend you get in and out of it and drive it several times to make sure you're ok with it; otherwise, you may want to look for a 30 -31 Roadster which has more room.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #7
Dodge

I have a 1929 Roadster and I am 6' tall 220lbs. 30" inseam. I made a new seat back a little thinner out of foam which moves it back some and it made all the difference in the world.
As far as getting in and out you'll have to find your own way to do it. I step on the running board and turn around backwards and get in.
I get out in the reverse order.

It is worth the trouble you'll love it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 AM   #8
Patrick L.

I think the 30 is a bit bigger than the 29. I'm 6'1", 170# [ 240# a couple years ago] with 32" inseam, 11.5 shoe. There is a learning curve to getting in and out of these monsters, especially with the top up. But thats quickly learned. [ don't use the running boards].
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #9
springerpete

I think it is dependent on how bad you want the '29. Mine is fine for me. ( 5'10"and 205 ) You'll learn how to do it. My top is down 99% of the time so I get in standing up. My left knee was replaced last Sept and I still have no problem. However, it is not like getting into your daily driver. My buddy gets into his '29 on the passenger side and slides across.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
maako

I am 5”10 225 lbs no problem driving my 29 Roadster, you just need to figure out how you want to get in and out.
maako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #11
motordr

As already stated, you learn a technique for entry and exit also dependant on shoe size. If the steering wheel is in the way, teach your wife to drive it.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Will I fit in a Roadster??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrellh View Post
I am afraid I may have gotten the cart before the proverbial horse, but I am in the process of purchasing a nice '29 roadster to fulfill a lifelong dream. I have spent some time with a '30 tudor with no issues, but now a comment made by the seller has me a little worried.

So, what are your thoughts on a 5' 9" guy weighing in at 230 with a 30" inseam fitting in a stock roadster? Obviously have a bit of a beer gut, and dieting for a number of reasons
Would you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on to see how they fit ?

Perhaps if you had bought that particular style in that particular size by that particular manufacture before you would not hesitate.

Try it before you buy it

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
Jim Brierley

The problem with grabbing the steering wheel to assist you is it strains the bracket-to-gas-tank area, and can eventually cause gas leaks. This can be avoided by installing a drop-mount like the late '31 A's have. I understand some Model A parts houses have such a thing?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
Mountain Dew

I'm 6'1" 230 lbs with a 38"hamburger belly. You'll learn the trick to get in and out of it. It would be a problem if I had side mounted spares. Like Jim said, avoid pulling on the steering wheel due to strain on the gas tank bracket. Once inside it's fairly comfortable. Getting my feet to the clutch and brake pedals quickly is a concern but I drive accordingly. Like you, I have always admired the 28/29 roadster styling and finally got one. They are fun to drive especially with the top down. No regrets here.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
37 Coupe

Last summer I decided at age 72 it would be neat to have a Model A roadster like I did at age 18.Lots of V-8 Fords since then. I went to an auction a local one where the deceased owned a lot of old cars including Model A Fords.I tried to get in a '29 roadster and could not believe how tough it was,well really impossible and was feeling pretty dejected until I sat in a '31.Someone told me to try getting in passenger side and sliding over,it is still cramped on the '31 roadster I ending up buying as my belly rubs the steering wheel or vice versa but not to bad if I tend to sit a little towards the door where steering wheel is a little off center. Henry and dsel must have decided that everyone who wants a Model A should be as trim as they were. Walter Chrysler was correct about one thing as he tried to get potential Model A buyers to try out a Plymouth,a lot more room and car for the money.His accountants told him the '31 and later the '32 PB would have to sell at $800-$ 1000 to make a profit,he wouldn't have it.Sold at a loss just to cheat Henry out of a sale. I actually sold a '32 PB convertible coupe last August to buy the Model A but the reason was I could go no farther with the Plymouth as far as restoration.Parts are almost impossible to find for an 8 month production run car .
Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #16
BHRS

I'm 6'1 180 lbs 32" inseam. Which has more leg room and ease of exit/entry - 28/29 Roadster or 28/29 Roadster Pickup?
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Well over 6 foot here and 200 plus pounds and the '28 Roadster PU, for get it what a nightmare to get into

We had a '28 Roadster, loved the car, but was about as bad as the Roadster PU as far as getting in and out.

Running a '30 Dlx, Rdstr now and it IS easier than the '28 was to climb in and out of.

Now a '36 Ford, that's a real breeze. I can step into it real easy and plenty of head room and everything. Clark Gable was a big man, and watch him pop in and out of his '36 Ford PU in the movie 'To Please a Lady' and you will get the idea

BUT if you dearly love a '28-'29 Roadster I say go for it. They aren't an everyday driving car they are for fun. You will adapt to the car.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #18
JBill

I'm 6'1'' and 250 and don't have any trouble. It's easier to get in an out with the top down, I've found. Anyway, they're a fun car. Closest thing (other than maybe a homemade speedster) to a Model A sportscar.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
Bob-A

Smile Re: Will I fit in a Roadster??

I have a '29 roadster and it is a PIA to get into/out and very uncomfortable to drive. I'm 6 ft, 240 lbs (42" waist). My '31 roadster is a dream to get in/out and drive compared to the '29. Years ago I remember finding a blog by a 6'4" guy who toured and camped a lot with his '29 roadster. He described in the blog what he had done to his roadster to make it more comfortable for him. Unfortunately I lost the address to the blog and have
never been able to find it again. I think he also had built a teardrop camping
trailer to use with the '29. If I had to do it over again I never would have bought the '29 roadster........

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #20
77Birdman

A few years ago my brother was ready to buy an A. He is a well read, intelligent person and had subscribed to the MARC, did a lot of investigation, and was well versed in Model A's. He went to a large show to pick which model he wanted to buy. Lo and behold he had trouble fitting into them and did not buy. He is about 6'2 with a medium build. Yes, he was quite disappointed.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote