Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Sid

Default Spectra aftermarket gas tank

I am going to get a new gas tank for a 61 Ford Galaxie .It just seems no vendor has a clue on the correct part number. F57D is the part number that comes up. It shows that it fits full size including wagon. How can this be? A wagon fill neck is on the left quarter. I read reviews and some say it fits and others say it is a wagon. Some say the F57A is for a car. This F57A shows for a 63 Galaxie. The Hollander shows every year 60 to 64 as a different part number. and there may be no vent or vented and a possible different angle on the fill neck on a 64. So has anyone purchased a tank for a 1961-62 Galaxie car and what part # is correct? F57A or F57D Will a 63 tank fit with no mods? They all list demensions as 30x30x7.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post

I am going to get a new gas tank for a 61 Ford Galaxie .It just seems no vendor has a clue on the correct part number. F57D is the part number that comes up. It shows that it fits full size including wagon. How can this be? A wagon fill neck is on the left quarter. I read reviews and some say it fits and others say it is a wagon. Some say the F57A is for a car. This F57A shows for a 63 Galaxie. The Hollander shows every year 60 to 64 as a different part number. and there may be no vent or vented and a possible different angle on the fill neck on a 64. So has anyone purchased a tank for a 1961-62 Galaxie car and what part # is correct? F57A or F57D Will a 63 tank fit with no mods? They all list demensions as 30x30x7.
Their cataloging is confusing.

I would give them a call- http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

Maybe check out this seller- http://www.autocityclassic.com/1959-...xie-tank-ts22/

The 60, 61, 62 and 64 have different FORD PN's. Why, I don't know.

This may be a one-fit-all.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Sid

Default Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

I think 60-62 are all the same except possible venting. They are listed as 60-64 interchanging including wagon. We all know wagon is different fill. Then I see F57A for 63 car. Then you talk to Spectra directly and I may as well be talking to my cat. When you read the reviews on the F57D some say fit fine and some say designed for a wagon and some say neck fill issues but they don't seem to say what they are working on. I think I have come to the conclusion they are all the same but there will be neck fill issues I will need to deal with. For some reason the F57A is much more expensive then the F57D.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
mikhett

I bought my tank for my 62 Galaxy from AUTO CITY CLASSICS.IT FITS AND WORKED GREAT.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
bobss396

It looks like the F57D tank keeps coming up for the '61 Galaxie. Just make sure you can return it if you get one that doesn't fit. For my '59 Rock Auto was by far the least expensive and Spectra makes just about any Ford tank I have seen.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...ype=automotive
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Sid

That's correct.. But when you look at fitment they say wagon only. The confusing part is the fill neck come out the rear as a car should. A wagon fill is on the left quarter panel. Does a station wagon tank mount sideways as opposed to a car? They also say it is a copy of C3AZ9002A which is a wagon according to Hollander interchange. A (B) at the end is a car. Every site that I found on evil bay lists this tank for a 61 Ford Galaxie then in the footnotes they say station wagon application only. To me the fill on the F57D does not make sense for a wagon. Any feed back from station wagon owners or any one with a 60-63 Galaxie would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sid; 06-04-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

CONTACT US

1421 Ampere Street
Boucherville, Quebec
Canada J4B 5Z5
Tel. : (450) 641-3090
Fax : (450) 641-3866
888-910-8888

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

There is a fellow here on the barn that goes by a4278v that may know he is/was a big Galaxie guy. he is located in N.J. I did buy some Y-Block stuff from him a couple of years ago. he seemed very knowledgeable, and easy to deal with.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
40cpe

It looks like they have USA locations, too:
INDIANA
Greenfield
Spectra Premium (USA) Corp.
3052 North Distribution Way
Greenfield, Indiana
USA 46140-6602
Tel. : (317) 891-1700
Fax : (317) 891-1753
800-628-5442
CALIFORNIA
Redlands
Spectra Premium (USA) Corp.
2220 Almond Ave,
Redlands, California
USA 92374
Tel. : (951) 653-0640
Fax : (951) 653-5089
800-628-5442
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
Sid

Yes...I have spoken with them in Indiana and it seems they do not make a direct fit tank for a 60-62 Ford car. Just the wagon and that is a dice roll if it will fit as it seems. It would seem to me that there would be more demand for car tanks then a station wagon. I also tried Tanks Inc. and they do not offer one either.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
ahshoe

autocityclassics says right out that the neck needs to be modified. Mikhett did your fit without any mods. I know you said yours was a1962. Just wondering as I have to purchase one here soon for my 1961 Galaxie (not a wagon)
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Sid

I myself bit the bullet and bought a Spectra F57D. It's supposed to be here today. It was the most reasonable priced and at worse I may need to change the filler pipe. Talking to the vendors is like talking to a brick. They have no knowledge of the parts they sell and when it don't fit proper you're left to deal with it. It seems that the filler neck is the questionable part on any of the aftermarket tanks offered for the 60-62 Galaxie. I should know by Sunday how this tank works on a 61 Galaxie ant post.....
Old 06-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
Sid

Okay....Got the Spectra F57D tank today for the 61 Starliner. What I did was use two 2"x4"x1/4"thick pieces of rubber and glue to the top of the tank. About even with the vent tube and about 4 inches in. This put the filler tube exactly in the middle of the filler door. I also used my original sender lock ring as it seemed a little tighter. Every thing perfect. On evil bay $157.00 shipped.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

Quote:

Okay....Got the Spectra F57D tank today for the 61 Starliner.

What I did was use two 2"x4"x1/4"thick pieces of rubber and glue to the top of the tank. About even with the vent tube and about 4 inches in. This put the filler tube exactly in the middle of the filler door. I also used my original sender lock ring as it seemed a little tighter.

Every thing perfect. On evil bay $157.00 shipped.
So you shimmed the replacement tank to sit lower?

So the difference in the 60 to 64 tank is the filler neck height? Everything else seems the same?

Maybe the difference in the years is the rear body panel design whereas each year requires a different filler neck height ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
So you shimmed the replacement tank to sit lower?

So the difference in the 60 to 64 tank is the filler neck height? Everything else seems the same?

Maybe the difference in the years is the rear body panel design whereas each year requires a different filler neck height ...
Yes. The rear body panel at the filler neck may be the difference. It may have worked without shimming but the filler tube was just slightly high. With shimming slightly at the filler neck end it centered the filler perfect. It seems that 60-64 are very similar but I think 64 has a bigger difference in the filler tube. But a good radiator shop could take care of that.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
mikhett

My Tank from Auto city classics dropped right in.NO MODS.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #18
Sid

Hmmm. Lets see. No mods necessary. Just a minor adjustment. $157.00 shipped vs $249.00 + shipping. Less then 30 min. to install start to finish and the over $100.00 I saved will buy plenty of beer. Also as KULTULZ mentioned there may be minor differences in rear panels between the 5 years. We also are dealing with my 61 and your 62. Possibly slightly different. The Hollander lists different part #'s for all 5 years.

Last edited by Sid; 06-10-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Spectra aftermarket gas tank

Quote:

Hmmm. Lets see. No mods necessary. Just a minor adjustment. $157.00 shipped vs $249.00 + shipping. Less then 30 min. to install start to finish and the over $100.00 I saved will buy plenty of beer.

You have to take that into account while waiting for the install to cure and make sure it is not rejected by the recipient vehicle...

Beer breaks are a must ...

OSHA and the EPA demand it now...

Quote:
Also as KULTULZ mentioned there may be minor differences in rear panels between the 5 years.

We also are dealing with my 61 and your 62. Possibly slightly different.

The Hollander lists different part #'s for all 5 years.
The filler neck and there are slight differences in the venting on the years.

He might have just gotten lucky and the replacement was designed on a 62.

Anyways, it is nice to know that replacements are available for the sedans.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
bobss396

I got my '59 Spectra tank from Rock Auto, also $157 + $10 to ship. Sender was $69 + $10 to ship. Most tanks from the factory have strips of padding between the tank and trunk floor, so that accounts for the 1/4" filled you needed.

My tank fit perfectly.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote