Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
mcorrell

Default NC title transfer

I am in the process of transferring the title for my '29 Coupe from Ohio to NC. Any advice, especially for a car with an engine number that doesn't match the VIN on the OH title? I have no idea if the frame number matches the title or if it can be read at all. My father recalls that the frame number was not legible whan he re-restored the car about 15 years ago. The car has been in my family since 1991.

Also, must you have 2 tail lights and turn signals in NC, even when not originally equipped? I've asked the local NCDOT "inspector" but have not yet received an answer.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
31Tudor

Default Re: NC title transfer

If the title is already in your name you will have no problem what so ever. It is just the same as any car at that point. You just present the title and registration for processing to North Carolina at the DMV. There is no inspection after 35 years old so it is pretty simple, they never look at the car.

No you do not need two taillights or turn signals or seatbelts.

Last edited by 31Tudor; 05-14-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added aditional info
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
mcorrell

The Ohio title is in my father's name and he signed it over to me. NC now inspects every car 35 years or older for theft or possible altering of numbers. My '64 Buick came from out of state when I bought it. The inspector checked the VIN tag, cowl tag, and engine number, then took pictures and a trace of the VIN tag. This was done prior to an NC title being issued.
My biggest fear is that they will want me to raise the body to check the farme number, which may or may not even be legible.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrell View Post
The Ohio title is in my father's name and he signed it over to me. NC now inspects every car 35 years or older for theft or possible altering of numbers. My '64 Buick came from out of state when I bought it. The inspector checked the VIN tag, cowl tag, and engine number, then took pictures and a trace of the VIN tag. This was done prior to an NC title being issued.
My biggest fear is that they will want me to raise the body to check the farme number, which may or may not even be legible.
If they get real serious you can sometimes raise the serial number with acid like the police do on stolen guns where the serial number has been removed.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I'd be a bit concerned about the title and car numbers not matching. What if you have an accident and the numbers don't match the title and insurance forms?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Vin-tin

Not sure about NC, but here in Pa, your title would already be DOA unless it was signed-off in front of a notary. Both the seller and buyers signatures needs to be notarized. Maybe NC is different.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
mcorrell

My dad and I both signed the title in Ohio in the presence of the notary. No problem there. My dad's recollection is that he didn't notice any frame numbers when the body was removed from the frame back in 2000, not that he was looking for the numbers. Fortunately they didn't refinish the frame in 2000 which was done on an older restoration before my dad purchased the car in 1991.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
4118truck

There will probably be a NCDMV officer look at the car. We have had this happen several time with customers that have cars brought into NC, although these were purchased cars. If he shows up with a gun on his hip, don't worry. The guy, here, in WNC is real helpful.
4118truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
mshmodela

I got my car from PA with a PA title. Ohio required and inspection to check the VIN (Engine Number). I cannot say what NC does but suspect they might do the same. The problem with old cars obvious swapping engines for all intent and purposes changes the VIN. I would ask the Ohio BMV on if you can get your car retitled there with the block number on the car.
You'll need to explain that the engine at some point was changed...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
mcorrell

Mike- that wasn't mentioned as an option but is worth a try.

I did finally reach the NCDOT inspector for my county and she was very helpful and brutally honest. Here’s the deal:

1. Concerning the tail lights and turn signals, she can only inspect it for what is was originally equipped with. The horn must work, but otherwise I would be good to go.
2. Concerning the engine swap, engine number not matching the Ohio title, etc:

The state of NC only recognizes the engine number as the official VIN number for a Model A, so, even if I find the VIN number stamped on the frame and it matches the Ohio title, it is extremely likely that I would have to get a “bonded” title. The chance is so low that the NCDOT would accept the frame VIN that she said she would not make the effort to find it. To obtain a bonded title I would have to find an insurer that would issue the bond. That would cost a minimum of $100 up to 10% of the value of the vehicle. I would have to get the car appraised by a dealer, or possibly several and the highest appraisal would be used. She stated that this is quite a lot of hassle to complete.
The kicker is that she says the state of NC does not like “bonded” titles and there’s a decent (50/50) chance that they would not issue me an NC title, even after going through the above process and paying for the bond. I have to have the bond before submitting the paperwork to obtain the NC title.
I guess it would have been easier to re-stamp the block. Maybe I wait a few years and try again with a new inspector?

Anyone have experience with bonded titles in NC? I already have spent more on the car than it is worth to get it here, house it (new second garage) and get it safe and reliable. now I am potentially looking at another $1000 or more.

My last option is to get the Ohio title back by withdrawing my request for a NC title and turning in my NC plate and getting it back to my dad as legal owner. The antique Ohio plate he had on it is good for many more years. I could pay him to inusre it and have me as the driver. I could then wait until I move to a free state to title it in my name or restamp the block. Who would have guessed an 86 year old car would have had an engine swap at some point?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
Rex_A_Lott

I cant say what they do in NC, but I bought a car from GA and all I had to do to get a SC title was show them the old registration from Ga.
Its not that far to Spartanburg from Canton.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
mcorrell

SC is a whole lot easier. I moved there from Ohio in '05 and had no issues whatsoever with car titles. If I could convince my wife to move futher away from her family I would move back to SC in a heartbeat. I work in Arden which is about 45 min from the state line taking I-26 or US-25.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
31Tudor

I sent you a private message.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
James Rogers

If you are in Canton,NC come by and see me and I can tell you the easiest way to get this done.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
Mountain Dew

I went through that process with a Model A I bought in California. NC would not accept the California title because the VIN # did not match the engine number. The title was signed over to me and I had a bill of sale. The DOT inspector looked up the tax value in one of his books and I got a bond through my insurance company. I can't remember how much the bond cost but it was a far cry from $1000. The state gave me a new VIN # and put 2 VIN stickers on the car in inconspicuous locations. I have a clear and legal NC title done like the state wanted. Those guys work at their own pace. It took a few phone calls to get them to come out and do everything.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
If you are in Canton,NC come by and see me and I can tell you the easiest way to get this done.
James is a nice guy. Worth the trip to talk to him, maybe he can get you hooked up. I dont think you will regret the time it takes to talk to him.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
Victoria31

Sounds like you will get good info from James Rogers. I went through the same thing you are and it was an administrative chore but no huge problem. They did inspect the car. The engine number did not match the Va title so I had to get a bond. I did not have to get it appraised at all. The. Insurance company who insures our daily drivers issued the bond an it cost $100. Submitted all the paper work and allowed to simmer on low heat for several months. Eventually got NC title with engine number as VIN. I am 70 so any further problem will not be mine to deal with. Good luck, I think you will be fine!
Victoria31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #18
mcorrell

Looks like I will be making a trip to see James in the very near future. I would like to do everything nice and legal if possible. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
WRA

Not NC but Had a heck of time registering a vehicle here in Florida with an old 1955 registration and bill of sale. No title from Illinois. Numbers were clear on the frame and were verified several times by Sheriff and DMV folks. Ended up using a title company to cut thru the red tape.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Please remember that this title request will be a one (1) time process without turning back once this paper work process has begun.

After having a few horrible experiences in the past 50 years with several mean & hateful Government Employees, from the local level all the way up to the Federal Level , I'd go to seek the good advice from Mr. Rogers ............ no matter what.

One experienced possible scenario:

You have a 1929 vehicle with a 1931 engine number.

The old douche bag, double wide butt grumpy hag with bad breath refuses to give you anything but a 1931 Title for a 1929 vehicle.

Hands-on experience is like touching a hot stove ...... you do not need a refresher course.

Hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote