Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
coupedupnow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default 1940 ford antenna hole

Guys , does anyone sell something that will cover the antenna hole in the roof ?chrome or stainless ...?
i think im ight want to cap it off for now . I have the antenna but never liked the way it looked
coupedupnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 9,211
Default Re: 1940 ford antenna hole

A rubber plug would work much better and look much better than metal. plus you don't want water to get inside and stain your headliner. I think www.restorationspecialties.com has what you desire - rubber or metal.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 13,331
Default Re: 1940 ford antenna hole

Willkie button plugs are available for different size holes. They are used in the aviation industry to cover unused switch & circuit breaker panel holes and in areas where an access button is needed through sheet metal for inspection or adjustments. I think Aircraft Spruce & Specialty has them. They have bendable fingers around the inside edges to hold them in place and can be sealed with RTV. THe original design is metal but some are now being made from plastic.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 8,936
Default Re: 1940 ford antenna hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Willkie button plugs are available for different size holes. They are used in the aviation industry to cover unused switch & circuit breaker panel holes and in areas where an access button is needed through sheet metal for inspection or adjustments. I think Aircraft Spruce & Specialty has them. They have bendable fingers around the inside edges to hold them in place and can be sealed with RTV. THe original design is metal but some are now being made from plastic.
Just one of the many original-type Willkie buttons...I don't think I remember anyone other than "aircraft mechanic types" making reference to "Willkie buttons" as such. DD

__________________
Click Links Below

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN


T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
4dFord/SC
Senior Member
 
4dFord/SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,575
Default Re: 1940 ford antenna hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Just one of the many original-type Willkie buttons...I don't think I remember anyone other than "aircraft mechanic types" making reference to "Willkie buttons" as such. DD

I used one to fill the hole when I replaced my extremely rare license plate antenna.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Fibber Mcgee
Senior Member
 
Fibber Mcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Callahan Fla
Posts: 1,149
Default Re: 1940 ford antenna hole

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
I used one to fill the hole when I replaced my extremely rare license plate antenna.
Now that's funny.
__________________
Wanted, a car with a " Dynaflex Superflowing Unijet Turbovasculator which is Syncromeshed to the Multicoil Hydrotensioned Dual vacuum Dynomometer. "
Fibber Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.