Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
chuck stevens

Default cam too big max-1

I have a small bore.030 over 8BA with a stock crank 33/4. It runs great at 60 but around town it bucks and has lots of lope. My mistake cam(max-1) is just to big for the rest of the engine. Is there anyway of smoothing this 8BA out?
It has adjustable lifters and currently the lash is .014, if I increased the lash would it take some of that lope away?
thanks chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: cam too big max-1

That's not that wild of a cam. Sounds like you need to do some tuning.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Chuck,
Max 1 has a nifty name but not at all radical. I ran that cam in the original motor in my '41 1/2 ton, single Stromb 48, Reds headers, .050 over. That motor is now my test motor, barely a lope at idle. If you are running a 94 try your buddy's Stromberg 97 or 48 and see if that helps. I actually purposely de- adjusted the mixture screws at
one time to lope up the motor for cruse in's.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
tubman

I agree with the guys above. I have one in my latest 258" motor, and it runs just fine and idles smooth.

There is something else wrong. The only way that's "too big" is if you have under-sized cam bearings in your engine.

Charley! I'm surprised that you did that!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:19 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

Yes, increasing lash will reduce duration and overlap. But, it can also cause other problems.

Although considered "mild" the Max1 does make significantly less low end torque than the stock cam. Some of the things which can help include maximizing the compression ratio, coordinating the ignition timing and fuel ratio, or even advancing the camshaft.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
mfirth

Times 2 on what tubman said. Had 2 different 8BAs with Max 1, pretty smooth idle.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

JWL, Wrote a book called "Flathead facts". It is with out a doubt the best book ever written on the flatheaad engine and explains in detail, how different modifications afect the engine. Considering the cost of building and modifying this engine. This should be your first purchase.
Gramps
PS Then buy mine
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
JWL, Wrote a book called "Flathead facts". It is with out a doubt the best book ever written on the flatheaad engine and explains in detail, how different modifications afect the engine. Considering the cost of building and modifying this engine. This should be your first purchase.
Gramps
PS Then buy mine
Got both of these books, good references. Ron one of these days I’ll drive the 1-1/2 north and have you sign my book.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

vette8n,
Ten yrs ago Alice and visited with Ron then went to lunch...Ron bought....

an absolutely delightful day, he is the real deal & his shop is where things get made.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Well the only thing I do well is make Chile ."Flathead Chile" And the recipe is in the book. Experience is the Key to success, and that comes from making allot of mistakes. Today I worked on a new designed disk brake system, got it finshed and it doesn't work, I made a mistake . Most of use old timers here offer some advice gained from these mistakes. However, Many mistakes go un noticed, and these are the real killers. One we're fixing right now is a rich condition on a 294ci engine that's running rich, It has 3 Stromburgs on it. 48 in the middle and two 97's on each end. Power output is fantastic. But cruise AF is rich and this is bad news for rings. Leaning out the 48, gives poor preformance at low speed/ Put 1 1/4" risers under all carbs and this improved the low speed response. re jeting the PV of the 48 makes it stumble in low revs. The biggest problem is. IT RUNS JUST FINE FO I LEAVE IT ALONE. wANDERS ALL VER TOWN WITH NO PROBLMS. wILL GO OVER 70MPH BEFOR THE SECONDAIRIES KICK IN. sORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. jUST INSTALLED A 4BL ON IT.

This is a learning experience, The 4bl is just temporary, Just want to see how the engine preforms in cruise, need the AF up around 15 + for good Mileage
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote