Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #21
SteveB31

Default Re: Snyder's Exhaust Manifold

Steve Plucker,

I have two thoughts here. The first is why not just use an original manifold.?

Regarding the judging standards, if you don’t like how they are written, perhaps you should join the judging standards committee.

While I am not a fine point restorer, I admire their patience in restoring cars for fine point. So many folks criticize the Judging Standards and fail to remember that thousands of volunteer hours have gone into the making of this book.

You are an amazing source for so many things regarding Model A’s. I reference you website every day, and you would be an asset on the Judging standards committee.

Steve Becker
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #22
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Please Steve, explain to me what my 'agenda' is. You asked what I thought about certain verbiage of one or two sentences. I answer you with my opinion on just those two sentences, and evidently because my thoughts do not align with yours, you now accuse me of having an agenda? Seriously?? I have never judged Area 5 nor do I have have plans to do so in the foreseeable future, ...so I really do not have an 'agenda' as you imply.

I have always tried to help and support you when possible. I truly wish the same could be said for you towards me. Nonetheless, lets just end this nonsense with a truce and lets both move on to more productive ways to help others.
That is fine with me Brent!

CASE CLOSED!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #23
nkaminar

Wow, I never knew an exhaust manifold had so many intricacies. With lots of used exhaust manifolds sitting around, why not use an original? Before someone tells me they are hard to find, I found several when looking for one for my car. Best source was asking at the local Model A club. One of the members had a pile. (He does not want his name broadcast.)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #24
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Wow, I never knew an exhaust manifold had so many intricacies. With lots of used exhaust manifolds sitting around, why not use an original? Before someone tells me they are hard to find, I found several when looking for one for my car. Best source was asking at the local Model A club. One of the members had a pile. (He does not want his name broadcast.)
A lot (most) of the original ones are sagging and unusable as is. They would have to be straightened as Brent suggested.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #25
Slowmotoring

Just curious. Would making a repro part look original for fp judging be considered cheating? I feel that would be taking away from the person that actually has the original parts. Or is that just how that game works? Fp isnt my cup of tea, im just curious.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #26
wwirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I have just received Snyder's Exhaust Manifold for use on the Model A/AA Ford. I must say it appears to be a very fine casting and true to the form at first glance.

However it has a ruff surface as do most castings.

So my question is this...just how does a NOS Exhaust Manifold compair to the Snyder's Exhaust Manifold as far as the surface texture is concerned?

I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve - did you post the pictures of the manifold? I looked through the entire string and could not find them. I purchased many castings for the company I worked for and can provide some guidance on the casting quality. My immediate default is that Snyders sells excellent parts. Check the manifold and make sure the flanges are flat, good machined finish (125 rms max) and install with the filled copper gaskets. Paul Shinn has an excellent video on YOUTUBE on re-installing the manifold which I watched and used.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #27
CWPASADENA

I am doing a fine point restoration and would have liked to be able to use a repo exhaust manifold but because the repo's do not have some of the features that an original would have I am using an original. It is very hard to find an original that is not pitted from rust but while the one I am using is not perfect, it is an original with very minor pitting. I expect to loose a few points for condition, I expect to receive full points for originality.

I have a very nicely restored Tudor I use for touring that I have a repo manifold on. I would not consider an original as the repos are so very good and only a very few people may know it is not an original.

That is what I am doing.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:42 PM   #28
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I am doing a fine point restoration and would have liked to be able to use a repo exhaust manifold but because the repo's do not have some of the features that an original would have I am using an original. It is very hard to find an original that is not pitted from rust but while the one I am using is not perfect, it is an original with very minor pitting. I expect to loose a few points for condition, I expect to receive full points for originality.

I have a very nicely restored Tudor I use for touring that I have a repo manifold on. I would not consider an original as the repos are so very good and only a very few people may know it is not an original.

That is what I am doing.

Chris W.
Chris do you have pictures of your project I can view ? Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #29
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Chris do you have pictures of your project I can view ? Wayne
I do not know how to post pictures. I used to be able to but no longer sense the old way is no longer available.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote