Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
alexiskai

Default Mike's web domain error

Looks like poor Mike's Afordable let their domain name registration lapse this morning. Until they get the situation fixed, you can browse online via the (extremely slow) web archive or just call.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Mike's web domain error

This is not good. There are companies out there who wait for this to happen, and snap up the URL and hold it for ransom and/or resale. I hope Mike gets on this right away.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
Bob C

Looks like it's working now.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #4
alexiskai

Their registrar, Network Solutions, appears to be holding it for them (for a price, I'm sure).

For such an old-tech hobby, it's interesting that the Model A vendors were quite early tech adopters. Mac's Auto Parts was online in 1997. Mike's, Snyder's, and Bratton's followed in 1998, and Bert's was online by 1999. It was several years before they got their catalogs online though.

The Snyder's website, circa 1998: https://web.archive.org/web/19981212...tiqueauto.com/
Old 05-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
This is not good. There are companies out there who wait for this to happen, and snap up the URL and hold it for ransom and/or resale. I hope Mike gets on this right away.
Kelly and company knew about it, and they are back online.

I think those companies (-vultures) that used to do that can no longer snap one up immediately. After it has had the site removed, the owner has 30 days to re-register it without losing it, -and even then, there is a grace period that follows that time period.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Kelly and company knew about it, and they are back online.

I think those companies (-vultures) that used to do that can no longer snap one up immediately. After it has had the site removed, the owner has 30 days to re-register it without losing it, -and even then, there is a grace period that follows that time period.
Yup - this. Sometimes the registrar will "hold" it so long they practically beg you not to let your old domain die. I have owned a few that just aren't needed anymore and I swear I still get emails about once a month or so from old domain registrars about not letting it die.

Once again proving you can never really erase anything on the internet.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Their registrar, Network Solutions, appears to be holding it for them (for a price, I'm sure).

For such an old-tech hobby, it's interesting that the Model A vendors were quite early tech adopters. Mac's Auto Parts was online in 1997. Mike's, Snyder's, and Bratton's followed in 1998, and Bert's was online by 1999. It was several years before they got their catalogs online though.

The Snyder's website, circa 1998: https://web.archive.org/web/19981212...tiqueauto.com/
I can’t access Snyder’s because they are not set up for Apple’s Safari. And Bratton’s doesn’t allow typing full descriptions in their search function. So neither site works well for me. I shop through Mike’s or Bert’s.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
alexiskai

Quote:
I can’t access Snyder’s because they are not set up for Apple’s Safari. And Bratton’s doesn’t allow typing full descriptions in their search function. So neither site works well for me. I shop through Mike’s or Bert’s.
Snyder's has a notification up that they're migrating to a new site back-end "soon." Hopefully that'll work on Safari.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
mhsprecher

Quote:
Snyder's has a notification up that they're migrating to a new site back-end "soon." Hopefully that'll work on Safari.
Easy enough to download Firefox or Chrome. One needs to be flexible when it comes to internet because not all web sites work with all browsers. Annoying, but a fact of life.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #10
mgambuzza

Quote:
I’ve had some issues with Snyders with Firefox at times. Sometimes the quantity goes through sometimes it doesn’t I have to be careful because it’s happened a number of times where I received the wrong quantity when I didn’t double check my orders. Maybe it’s Firefox on my MacBook but haven’t checked safari or chrome.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #11
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Easy enough to download Firefox or Chrome. One needs to be flexible when it comes to internet because not all web sites work with all browsers. Annoying, but a fact of life.
Easy enough, yes, but I shouldn’t be required to adjust my net access just to buy a set of gaskets for my A. I reject the corporate philosophy that I need to adapt to their laziness or pennypinching. Make the web site work for everyone. It’s not hard or expensive. To not do so is just bad business, and they lose mine. The is the 21st century. Grow with the times or die. If you make it hard (or in Snyders case, impossible) for people to buy in your store they (I) will buy somewhere else.

It’s not like there are significant price or quality differences between any of our suppliers. All or most of the repro parts are made by the same companies. I will patronize the distributors who make it easy.

Last edited by 700rpm; 05-24-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:24 AM   #12
shew01

Default Mike's web domain error

Quote:
Easy enough, yes, but I shouldn’t be required to adjust my net access just to buy a set of gaskets for my A. I reject the corporate philosophy that I need to adapt to their laziness or pennypinching. Make the web site work for everyone. It’s not hard or expensive. To not do so is just bad business, and they lose mine. The is the 21st century. Grow with the times or die. If you make it hard (or in Snyders case, impossible) for people to buy in your store they (I) will buy somewhere else.

It’s not like there are significant price or quality differences between any of our suppliers. All or most of the repro parts are made by the same companies. I will patronize the distributors who make it easy.

I don’t totally agree. The day a web site went live, it *could* have worked properly on multiple browsers. However, the issues are not necessarily laziness or penny pinching. Over time, incessant software updates can break things without the web site authors necessarily knowing it. For example, a web page can be broken on *my* PC (because of some screwy update), but work fine when tested by the software vendor. (Once a web site change is released, future testing of that released change does not always continue.) That’s a common problem with mandated external web sites where I work, and it drives me nuts having to remember which browser to use for a specific application.

Web sites are typically horrendously complicated, at least “under the covers” where things break. I do agree that broken web sites are a pain, and that makes doing business with the parts vendors difficult. From what I’ve seen, constantly fixing a web site is usually hard and expensive in terms of payroll. Most Model A vendors likely “farm out” their web development to web site vendors because the Model A vendors probably don’t have folks on staff with web site building skills.

I totally agree that a web site will lose business to competitors when it works poorly.

I’m not sure which browser you use with Snyder’s, but I have made multiple purchases on their web site (Bratton’s and Mike’s too), on multiple browsers, without issue. I suspect there is something different between your PC and mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 05-25-2021 at 05:02 AM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #13
DBrer

For me it's all about time and convenience. If its simple I'll use it.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
john in illinois

I use safari. Snyders always has a pop up that I an using a browser not approved.
I just log in and continue on with Safari for my order.

John
Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #15
Ruth

Quote:
Really? I have never had a problem with Snyder's but I prefer Bratton's, which I have never had a problem with either. What version of Safari do you have. I have 14.0.3
Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #16
mgambuzza

FYI - although I have had intermittent probs with multiple vendors, all went well today, using Firefox, ordering from both Snyders and Mike's.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote