Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
George, Iowa

Default Coast to Coast in a Model A

I don't know if this has been posted yet. YouTube has a video of a young man who is going to go coast to coast in a Model A.
He goes by, "Double Clutch King". I thought it was kinda cool.
Link below...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JddZ...EZT9LTqOZWF2KU
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida
Default Re: Coast to Coast in a Model A

Yes, thx, look forward to when the tour starts.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
Model A Ron

We had a trend on this a few weeks back.......April Showers is a nifty Model A song to pick
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

Did that in 1973 in my '28 roadster pickup. San Diego to New Hampshire & back via the Dearborn meet, 9,000 miles in seven weeks. Story in MARC Nov/Dec 1973 Model A news.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
Richard in Anaheim CA

Does anyone have contact information for "Double Clutch King?

Would like to chat about our 40 state round trip in our 28 Tudor about 10 years ago. It looks like he will be driving his 28 Tudor too.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 AM   #6
mercman from oz

Here are some pictures of the Model A Ford Sedan to be driven from Coast to Coast. Nice. I wish you well. Keep safe.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #7
Synchro909

Without wanting to sound smart assed, I am somewhat underwhelmed by this "adventure". I have done more in a Model A with a camper in tow and a friend has driven from Melbourne, Australia to Moscow with no support in a 1913 Model T.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Without wanting to sound smart assed, I am somewhat underwhelmed by this "adventure". I have done more in a Model A with a camper in tow and a friend has driven from Melbourne, Australia to Moscow with no support in a 1913 Model T.
A sad day when you have to make yourself look good at someone else’s expense!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Mister Moose

He introduced himself in this thread,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295788

and explained his route as

Thank you all for the gracious comments! I am extremely excited about this trip! As of now, my friend and I will be leaving on July 17th from PA and driving out to Los Angeles. We plan on hitting 15 states: NJ, PA, OH, MI, IN, IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, CO, UT, NV, and CA! We plan on keeping everyone up to date through weekly youtube videos and Instagram posts as we go through the route. - Nick
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #10
mhsprecher

I applaud anyone who attempts to cross the country in a 90 year old car.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I applaud anyone who attempts to cross the country in a 90 year old car.
I am part of your cheering section ! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
shew01

Quote:

Synchro,

I applaud you for your extended drives, and I have enjoyed reading about them very much.

I think the “norm” for a drive in the US is typically much shorter. We’ve had our car a little less than two years, and we seldom drive it more than 100 miles a day. Some cars rarely see a drive longer than to a local ice cream shop. So, it’s “an event” when someone here talks about driving from coast to coast. I’d like to do that myself in our car, but I haven’t mustered that much “bravery” yet. ;-)

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #13
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Synchro,

I applaud you for your extended drives, and I have enjoyed reading about them very much.

I think the “norm” for a drive in the US is typically much shorter. We’ve had our car a little less than two years, and we seldom drive it more than 100 miles a day. Some cars rarely see a drive longer than to a local ice cream shop. So, it’s “an event” when someone here talks about driving from coast to coast. I’d like to do that myself in our car, but I haven’t mustered that much “bravery” yet. ;-)

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2 With a well planned trip it should be very enjoyable, but there are still a lot of unknowns to worry about along the way.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
Ed in Maine

I read a book about four college girls who in 1922 purchased two new Model T Touring cars upon graduation and drove from Iowa to the west coast. The book was written from a diary that one of the girls kept on the trip. What struck me was they were having the same mechanical troubles along the way that I have had with my 1914 Touring since I purchased it in 2006! The diary was found in the attic of the house where one of the college girls lived. She had passed away and the house was being cleaned out. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I read a book about four college girls who in 1922 purchased two new Model T Touring cars upon graduation and drove from Iowa to the west coast. The book was written from a diary that one of the girls kept on the trip. What struck me was they were having the same mechanical troubles along the way that I have had with my 1914 Touring since I purchased it in 2006! The diary was found in the attic of the house where one of the college girls lived. She had passed away and the house was being cleaned out. Ed
What is the name of the book. Quite an adventure for a female at that time period
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:32 AM   #16
alexiskai

https://www.amazon.com/Eight-Women-M.../dp/0803260199
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #17
Nsieber

I'm glad to see this conversation is still continuing for the trip!! I almost forgot about the post on here until someone commented on my YouTube channel... sorry! (Double Clutch King - Like and subscribe ahaha!) For anyone that would like to get in contact with me, you can either message me through the forum or by leaving a comment on YouTube! I'm just a little nervous about posting my email address online because of spam and such.

I remember somebody had asked why I was taking this trip, and there are two main reasons!

The first is because I'll be able to enjoy a 5-week long adventure with my friend and I know we are going to have an amazing time! The list of stops we have keeps growing and growing and as a young guy who has never been west of PA, I know I'll be in for a lifetime of memories! My friend has done a bit more traveling than I have (he has been west of PA ahaha), but this trip will be quite different in terms of experience than anything either of us has done!

The second reason for the trip is to help honor the goal of the car's previous owner! The gentleman I purchased the car from had originally intended to drive it cross country back almost 40 years ago, but as life went on, the trip never happened. After I got the car back on the road, I was telling this story to my friend's father and he suggested that I complete it on his behalf! Well, from that point one thing lead to another, and now that's what we intend on doing!

And for anyone wondering - the car is a 1930 Deluxe Town Sedan! The engine is currently being rebuilt and I am doing the transmission this coming week, so she should be good to go for July!

Thanks, everyone for your kind words!

-Nick
Nsieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
x2 With a well planned trip it should be very enjoyable, but there are still a lot of unknowns to worry about along the way.
To worry or not to worry? That depends on the attitude of the driver, IMO. On one of those outback trips, one guy (in a Model A) took no spares and although he ran into trouble, he was able to get home. It all depends on one's confidence in their own abilities and those of the people you are travelling with.
His problem was loosing spark through a crack in the rotor button. Once the problem was identified, the fix wasn't that difficult.
I have a roadside service cover that will bring my car home from anywhere in the country at no charge. That eases a lot of worry for those not so inclined for trouble shooting and repair.

BTW, On one of these trips, I started posting daily about the trip but after a couple of weeks, it was taken down so I am reluctant to bother doing it again. We depart in mid June for a short (8 weeks and about 6-7,000 miles) trip to warmer climes. Why was it taken down? I have no idea.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #19
gary678*

Good luck and I am sure you will have a great time with memories that will last forever. I always wanted to do the same on a bicycle but a very busy life never gave me the time; needed 8 weeks to do it. Now retired with time but the 77 year old legs are probably not up to it. I would love to do the trip now in my "A" but my better half is not willing. In case you don't already know both national clubs have published rosters; if you have any problems along the route you can check the roster for "A" people in the local area and from I have heard mechanical aid and even a place to sleep are readily available. Keep a journal and ENJOY THE JOURNEY !! Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #20
77Birdman

Quote:
To worry or not to worry? That depends on the attitude of the driver, IMO. On one of those outback trips, one guy (in a Model A) took no spares and although he ran into trouble, he was able to get home. It all depends on one's confidence in their own abilities and those of the people you are travelling with.
His problem was loosing spark through a crack in the rotor button. Once the problem was identified, the fix wasn't that difficult.
I have a roadside service cover that will bring my car home from anywhere in the country at no charge. That eases a lot of worry for those not so inclined for trouble shooting and repair.

BTW, On one of these trips, I started posting daily about the trip but after a couple of weeks, it was taken down so I am reluctant to bother doing it again. We depart in mid June for a short (8 weeks and about 6-7,000 miles) trip to warmer climes. Why was it taken down? I have no idea.
Yes WORRY! I suppose its my nature, although generally I am a very easy going guy. Heck I worry about taking my 70's car to a cruise night if it will get me home. Its very reliable and 99% trouble free, but that 1% (the night the starter died) still sticks in my head. One of the fears I need to overcome to better enjoy cruising in an old car.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote