Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #41
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Offy 4BBL intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
Believe it's 600 cfm (Google is your friend).
Thanks 4dFord- Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
Ol' Ron

According to my information the primary metering block is not interchangable with others. Hope that's wrong. I will park it on top of the engine and see what the AF says. I know it came off a 87 Mustang 302. I also have a smal 4bl with a single float, any ideas??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #43
Fordors

Yes Ron, I looked into it and you are right, the blocks will not interchange. On the other hand there are idle mixture screws, but Holley moved them into the throttle plate. They have them hidden behind plugs to make them "tamper proof". Apparently you can take a hack saw to the aluminum casting and remove enough material to get the plugs out and then the a/f mixture screws can be adjuusted with an Allen wrench.
Like you mentioned, put it on and try it, it just might be OK.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Ol' Ron

only hope I can change Main and PV jets.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
29AV8

Walt I have 390 cfm Holley carb on a 51 flathead with a 3/4 cam,aluminum heads,bored .040 over and a offy 4 barrel intake.It works very well right of the box.
29AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #46
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29AV8 View Post
Walt I have 390 cfm Holley carb on a 51 flathead with a 3/4 cam,aluminum heads,bored .040 over and a offy 4 barrel intake.It works very well right of the box.
29AV8, yea I know they work good but i'm not going to spend the money on a new carb. I find something that work and rebuild it myself. Walt
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
Ol' Ron

Walt, are you going to race this engine or street drive it? If your going to race it I'd use the 600 and try running it eith only the primarys, then both to see how well it preforms.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #48
Jack E/NJ

Walt>>>My son inlaw has a 600 Holley I can have. Do you guys think that is to big for my engine. >>>

Yes, unless you can somehow experimentally re-work or manually control the linkages to delay the secondaries to suit your engine in whatever you're trying to do with it. That would be an interesting project, Walt. I really think you should do it. Then report back to us on your results. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #49
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Walt>>>My son inlaw has a 600 Holley I can have. Do you guys think that is to big for my engine. >>>

Yes, unless you can somehow experimentally re-work or manually control the linkages to delay the secondaries to suit your engine in whatever you're trying to do with it. That would be an interesting project, Walt. I really think you should do it. Then report back to us on your results. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
It's easy to ajust the secondaries, just take a small bolt and nut and put it through the slot that link goes in that pull the back barrels, you can ajust the bolt so the barrells open as far as you want them. Walt
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
29AV8, yea I know they work good but i'm not going to spend the money on a new carb. I find something that work and rebuild it myself. Walt
Walt, go on ebay and search wcfb. Look for one that has the fuel inlet on the very back of the top cover. It will be a mid 50's Buick. You can pick up the un identified ones very cheep. I have used several by just cleaning and reusing the gaskets. They can't leak!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
BUBBAS IGNITION

Heres the adapter plate from Speedy Bill..

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley...pter,5551.html
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #52
BUBBAS IGNITION

Walt,

Heres some more notes on our mods to the intake , removing the divider under the plenum etc as well... The 600 was our best shot ( and still is today) and the machine work payed off on the dyno runs...

http://www.lindertech.com/gas/8-21-07.htm

The actual entire group is at

www.gasolinealleyshops.org

Jim
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #53
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post

Jack E/NJ
If it's a vacuum secondary carb, and an 1850 should be, you can install a heavier spring in the secondary diaphragm housing to slow the secondary butterfly opening. Holley sells an assortment of those springs. I had 2 390s on a tunnel ram on a mild hydraulic cam 289 and it ran fast with 2 springs in each diaphragm, 1 real heavy black spring and one medium. The secondaries never opened all the way, stopped at about 2/3s at 4500 RPM, when I had it performing well. Less spring pressure and it bogged as soon as the secondaries opened. I could see the carbs through the windshield, that's how I know what they were doing. (Later built a hot 289 and it needed 2 600 double pumpers to make proper HP)

Last edited by Yoyodyne; 12-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #54
butchbov

I have a Carter WCFB Model 2361 from a 56 Merc Y-block on my 8ba. Also have a Mitchell manual with tech sheets for Carters. Its indexed by auto manufacturer.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #55
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
If it's a vacuum secondary carb, and an 1850 should be, you can install a heavier spring in the secondary diaphragm housing to slow the secondary butterfly opening. Holley sells an assortment of those springs. I had 2 390s on a tunnel ram on a mild hydraulic cam 289 and it ran fast with 2 springs in each diaphragm, 1 real heavy black spring and one medium. The secondaries never opened all the way, stopped at about 2/3s at 4500 RPM, when I had it performing well. Less spring pressure and it bogged as soon as the secondaries opened. I could see the carbs through the windshield, that's how I know what they were doing. (Later built a hot 289 and it needed 2 600 double pumpers to make proper HP)
Thanks for the tip on the heavy springs on the secondary diaphragm. Walt