Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
PeteVS

Default Trunk floor in '29 roadster...

I'm building a hot rod from parts (No complete car is being sacrificed for my project.) It's a Brookville body on an A frame, V8 engine and all early V8 running gear. I did a 2" kick up of the rear crossmember which now goes through the seat base. As I look at the current situation, it appears that there's a lot of wasted trunk space with the seat riser configuration. So, I'm contemplating making up a new trunk floor that will be flat and sit on the sub-rails with one skinny but high kick up to go over the rear crossmember. Has anyone done something similar? Got pictures?
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Trunk floor in '29 roadster...

Pete:

To confirm, you have the rumble seat rear riser and want to turn it into a flat trunk? I've only ever looked at cars with a rumble, but wouldn't a true trunk car have a flat floor without the seat riser?

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Pete:

To confirm, you have the rumble seat rear riser and want to turn it into a flat trunk? I've only ever looked at cars with a rumble, but wouldn't a true trunk car have a flat floor without the seat riser?

Tim
From what I gather, the only difference between a rumble car and a trunk car is the location and style of the hinges and the presence of seat cushions. The seat riser comes way up in the back leaving a lot of dead space underneath it.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
jerrytocci

Tudor sedan has a nice spring cover
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I'm building a hot rod from parts (No complete car is being sacrificed for my project.) It's a Brookville body on an A frame, V8 engine and all early V8 running gear. I did a 2" kick up of the rear crossmember which now goes through the seat base. As I look at the current situation, it appears that there's a lot of wasted trunk space with the seat riser configuration. So, I'm contemplating making up a new trunk floor that will be flat and sit on the sub-rails with one skinny but high kick up to go over the rear crossmember. Has anyone done something similar? Got pictures?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
From what I gather, the only difference between a rumble car and a trunk car is the location and style of the hinges and the presence of seat cushions. The seat riser comes way up in the back leaving a lot of dead space underneath it.
I would be curious to know if this is accurate. Rumble cars also have a front pan that has a foot well stamping. Knowing Ford's frugalness, that is a lot of extra metal to include in a car that doesn't need it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%272...L7k7mITZ1T1ExM

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-03-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
AYooperA

Pete, This photo shows the various floor pans for a ‘28 to ‘29 coupe. The package tray is upside down and backwards but you get the idea. Sorry I can’t help with if they had flat floor bottoms for trunk equipped coupes in these years. Should be easy to verify with this forum. I would think there would be different rear curvy panel that is required for the rear hinged deck lid. Ironically I came across these pans from a Guy who was rodding a coupe and doing pretty much what you are trying to accomplish. These were from an original ‘29 5 window coupe with a rumble seat. I acquired them from this Guy as I didn’t want them pitched by him. Tried selling but not much interest. Not great shape but usable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D1423D9-8CA6-4C88-A417-6FA82EEEA039.jpeg (110.4 KB, 33 views)
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The floors were not much different between the two designs but the rear support portion had different sheet metal for the trunk cars to allow for rain water drainage coming in from the deck lid gap. The rear riser was to allow clearance for the rear cross member in all the coupes and roadster cars. A person would have to fabricate a metal panel to replace the rear riser. If a person changes the rear cross member to a flat type then there wouldn't be a clearance problem.

It just depends on where a person wants to go for their project. The cross member hump cover from a sedan has been used by many to clear the cross member if needed. A person can even remove the front seat riser but that part also provides for body rigidity and especially for the roadsters. There isn't much support for the rear quarter panels on a roadster so whatever is removed has to be replaced with something that will help support the body structure.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
PeteVS

[QUOTE=Tim Ayers;2022928]I would be curious to know if this is accurate. Rumble cars also have a front pan that has a foot well stamping. Knowing Ford's frugalness, that is a lot of extra metal to include in a car that doesn't need it.
/QUOTE]

I opted for a flat floor for the front. I'm using a Mopar mini van middle seat. It was available at an attractive price.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The floors were not much different between the two designs but the rear support portion had different sheet metal for the trunk cars to allow for rain water drainage coming in from the deck lid gap. The rear riser was to allow clearance for the rear cross member in all the coupes and roadster cars. A person would have to fabricate a metal panel to replace the rear riser. If a person changes the rear cross member to a flat type then there wouldn't be a clearance problem.
Interesting. I was figuring I'd have to provide a drain for water coming in around the deck lid. I don't remember seeing any kind of channel on the floor / riser that came with the body. Also, wouldn't this be required for both roadster AND coupe?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

[QUOTE=PeteVS;2022992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I would be curious to know if this is accurate. Rumble cars also have a front pan that has a foot well stamping. Knowing Ford's frugalness, that is a lot of extra metal to include in a car that doesn't need it.
/QUOTE]

I opted for a flat floor for the front. I'm using a Mopar mini van middle seat. It was available at an attractive price.
Pete,

I'm not referring to the front seat riser, I'm talking about the foot well that is behind the front seat and is the front floor piece of the rear sheet metal. The rounded part provides a ledge and some support the upper seat frame in a stock configuration.

Click the picture I linked to my post. If the floors are indeed the same, the front rear floor piece would also have a footwell. That would also eat up a lot of space as well.

I am by no means a Model A stocker expert, but it seems odd to me that a footwell would be included on all cars no matter if it was a trunk or rumble car.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
rotorwrench

This link illustrates the rear inner panel that is used with the trunk. It includes the scupper piece that channels the water for drainage. These panels have to be removed when converting to a rumble seat.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../rumble-panels

This link illustrates the curved panel that is used with the rumble seat option.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../rumble-panels

It scuppers water in a different way.

The braces for the B-pillars or door jams attach with several other metal parts that form the front seat riser and attachments are on each side just behind the door pillars. make sure this stuff is solid or the front edge of the quarter panels will move around more than they should.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-03-2021 at 06:52 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote