Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
1stford

Default Engine cooling issue

I’m not currently winning the battle of me Vs 36 truck and wanted to get some feedback. Had some water seepage coming out between the head and block just above manifolds. I retoruqed the heads and started it up, with the radiator cap off. Checking the motor/heads with a heat gun it got to 210 before spewing antifreeze out the top of radiator everywhere. Thermostats did not open. I backed up and reset everything and ran it with cap on, it spewed and burped out through the overflow. Again, seems like no water flowing through thermostats?

49 8BA with factory 36 truck radiator.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Engine cooling issue

I see it has already been suggested in your other thread. To first try with both thermostats removed and make observations and record some temps.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Stop guessing and pull the thermostats to check for proper operation.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
1stford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
I see it has already been suggested in your other thread. To first try with both thermostats removed and make observations and record some temps.
Phil NZ
Yeah, it was suggested that i put this post on a new thread.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
Yeah, it was suggested that i put this post on a new thread.
Drill a small hole in those stats about a nature 16th hole let the air out

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
AnthonyG

I have found the thermostats available today SUCK (probably all off shore). I find they have a nasty habit of sticking closed. The one on the passenger side on my '35 w an 8BA sticks when first started and almost every time I have to shut down before that side over heats and wack the thermostat housing with a heavy wooden handle a couple times to get it to release then start it again and it works, I run Moon dial Thermometers on each side so I see the temp on both. I have run with and without and IMO the only time you maybe need them is in the cold weather if your running a heater. I don't have my heater connected but am currently running thermostats as I went through a bunch of threads on the subject that at the time convinced me you needed the thermostats to slow the water down to give it a chance to cool better which I now believe is BS. I'll be removing mine before the spring season and won't be running any again unless I decide to run the heater, which I probably won't. Get rid of them
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You need the thermostats to get the engine up to operating temp as quickly as possible and to maintain a minimum engine temperature. The engine needs to run in the 180 to 185 range for effecency.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #8
1stford

Anyone thinking bad head gaskets?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
KGS

As others have suggested, pull the thermostats. Check the thermostats as you remove them to make sure they were not in upside down. I know it's a simple thing, but it has happened. Test them before re-installing. When you re-install, make sure they go in with the sensor unit down in the head.
K
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
Anyone thinking bad head gaskets?
Yes, it's not supposed to seep as you mentioned in post 1. Get an infrared thermometer and take the temp of the cylinder head right after you start it up. The leaking combustion gas will cause a localized hot spot, find that and you know if/where the head gasket has failed. Also, you can verify if the thermostats are working by taking the temp of housing below and hose above, no disassembly required.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
corvette8n

I remember my dad checking thermostats in a small pan of boiling water and a candy thermometer to see what temp they opened at.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
donald1950

drill a small hole 1/16 in each thermostat to vent the air trapped in the system,

test both the thermostats with a pan and water on a stove to make sure they open and open where you expect,

when running the vehicle in the driveway to test heat rise, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, place a big box fan in front of the radiator to move air across the radiator core as when the vehicle is just sitting the stock fan just wont move enough air to exchange heat and keep it from boiling over......
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
chap52

I am concerned with the "seeping". Easy check as stated of the thermostats. Drill those holes and if they open at the proper temp. reinstall There should not be any seepage even if it's hot. If you get it running with the thermostats operating properly then you can try some Barrs stop leak and see if after a few miles the seeping stops. Remember that this is just a band aide and you will probably be replacing those head gaskets pretty soon.
There are ways to detect a leaking head gasket (check You Tube and search this site). But lets get it running correctly for now and then you can dig deeper later.
Please keep us posted,
Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote