Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #1
dorvedahl47pu

Default G series Stuck Intake Valve Guide

Good evening,

I've got a #5 valve guide stuck in my 42 ford 6 cylinder. I broke the valve stem trying to loosen it (with the head off) so I need to get it out of there to install a new valve stem. I managed to get it down enough to get the horseshoe clip off.

Does this guide need to be pushed up to come out or can it be pushed down out the bottom? The spring and push rod are good. I think I can get the valve spring retainer off then get the spring out.

Thanks.
dorvedahl47pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: G series Stuck Intake Valve Guide

Normally, the whole assembly would come out the top after the horse shoe clip is pulled but it sounds like you have a stuck one. The G-series 226 has an odd set up for valves. The later H-series was set up a lot better but they have the small guides and split keeper set to retain the valve springs so not much is the same there. I hope the valves are available. They are the short ones for use with the non adjustable tappet

The two piece guides are even different between intake and exhaust valves but they had to use them with the mushroom tip valve stems. A person needs to see if there is enough room to drive the guide out the bottom without pulling the cam and followers before proceeding that way but you may have to try and pry it up & drive down to loosen it where it will come out. It should be a push fit but time and crud have a way of mucking that up. Carefully applied heat, penetrants, and Marvel Mystery Oil are your friends here for loosening valve stems or guides. When you put it together, it should go back through the top then the guide is pulled down against spring tension to put a new horse shoe clip in. Clearance will have to be adjusted by grinding the stem.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
dorvedahl47pu

Default Re: G series Stuck Intake Valve Guide

Thank you Rotowrench! What you say makes perfect sense. I did manage to get my hands on the correct intake valve and intake split valve guide. I'll keep messing around with it being careful not to screw something up.
dorvedahl47pu is offline   Reply With Quote