Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
31/S/W

Default 1931 Model A wheels

Looking for the correct answer to the question. The model A wheel is held on by 5 lug nuts which center and draws the wheel up to the hub. Question is does the rim of the wheel touch the hub or should there be clearance between the rim and the hub?We are only talking about the center of the wheel where the spokes are attached to the inter part of the wheel-DOSE that rim touch the hub. If so, What is the measurement? how do you measure the distance to see if it is too much or too little?
Thanks
31/S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1931 Model A wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31/S/W View Post
Looking for the correct answer to the question. The model A wheel is held on by 5 lug nuts which center and draws the wheel up to the hub. Question is does the rim of the wheel touch the hub or should there be clearance between the rim and the hub?We are only talking about the center of the wheel where the spokes are attached to the inter part of the wheel-DOSE that rim touch the hub. If so, What is the measurement? how do you measure the distance to see if it is too much or too little?
Thanks
While I think I know what you are trying to imply, the rim is actually what holds the tire and is attached to the wheel hub via the spokes. Yes, the flange of the hub does rest against the brake drum to provide support however it is the lug nuts that keep the wheel trued to the brake hub.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Wonder if wheel hub outer contact to the drum is ever "uneven" on the surface of the casting & causes drum distortion & a pulsing brake pedal? If so, it might require a wee bit of machining on the outer surface of the drum, HMM? Bill W.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Greg out west

Question Re: 1931 Model A wheels

Hi 31 S/W

I had some Argentina drum's way back...I remember the hub didn't touch the drum's..There was say a 1/16th gap...The new cast drum are correct as the hub is tight on the drum... I think this is what your asking ? BTW those drum were all that was available back then (60's & 70's) ..Should of had "Junk" stamped on them..

Greg out West,
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Careful with that "JUNK" label, Greg! I got 4 beautiful steel drums on Vermin, don't know if they're NOS or Argentina, also has woven lining that'll last me the rest of my life! God!I lucked out as I have found SO much NEW stuff on this car, like, springs, shocks, shock links, wheel bearings, etc. Everything seems to have only been run, maybe 40 miles! I can rub my hand in the bottom of the oil reservoir & not even have to wash my hands! Bill W. ( I have NO documented history, but LOTS of old pics of it.)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you have to be careful of powdercoated wheels to drum surface contact. the powder can cause uneveness
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
31/S/W

Brent if the flange does support the wheel then how much deflection does one have when you tighten the lugs? how much is too much?
thanks
31/S/W is offline   Reply With Quote