Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Rear Axel, I have done something stupid

When I started the restoration of my 31 Cabriolet I removed the rear axle to change the gaskets. It was leaking oil. I found that the ring gear had three broken teeth. The car worked but was only operating on 1 1/2 in. of good teeth. Also, the previous owner did a poor job of cleanup. There were chips everywhere. I cleaned everything up and installed new seals and bearings and replaced the ring gear. I did purchase a ring gear/pinion gear set.

I got lazy (and stupid), and did not change the pinion. I didn't have the tools. It is a case of "not enough time to do it right but plenty of time to due it over." What happens is that the rear axle has some interference in one spot as you turn a wheel (with both wheels jacked up).

My question is this: After rolling the rear axle out from under the car, can I remove the torque tube and pinion gear from the banjo without touching the rear spring? I want to install the pinion gear that came with the ring gear. Thank you for your comments. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
Will N

Default Re: Rear Axel, I have done something stupid

Yes, you can leave the rear spring attached to the axle and remove the torque tube. Remember you have to preload the two bearings on the end of the driveshaft. And also keep in mind that the gaskets on the differential housing are not just there to stop the oil leaking out- they serve as spacers to align the fit of the ring gear to the pinion gear.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #3
GordonP

Will N is right.

The interference may be caused by not having quite enough gasket in the housing though.

I know it's a lot of work, but I'd start over if it was my car.
GordonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
Big hammer

When I installed my overdrive I pulled the rear end out with the spring attached, stood the toque tube up resting it on the spring and big clamps. Removed the torque tube and then the drive shaft with the pinion gear. I set the pinion bearings on the drive shaft out the of the housing then pushed the assembly back into the housing.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
T Scott

I think you have to pull the whole rear end apart. As Will N stated, proper assembly requires selecting gaskets of different thickness to achieve correct interface between the ring and pinion. Bluing is applied to the pinion gear and then rotated with the ring gear. The spread pattern of the bluing is then observed. This is a tedious procedure and well explained in Les Andrew's Model A Ford mechanics handbook. If you don't have this, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward a copy of the procedure.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:12 AM   #6
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonP View Post
Will N is right.

The interference may be caused by not having quite enough gasket in the housing though.

I know it's a lot of work, but I'd start over if it was my car.

You might not like to hear this, but I agree here.

Go back to the beginning. Checking everything. That way you might not have to do it a third time.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
nkaminar

This is a great set of instructions for the rear end: https://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...vised-2014.pdf
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
Conaway2

I agree with others who advise taking the axle apart and rebuilding it with correct pre-load and backlash. I’ve done this on two cars in the past 2 years. It’s not as much work as you might imagine.

Read the excellent article by Tom Endy of the Santa Anita A’s. You’ll find it easily on line.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
400A

I don't see any way to do this right without a full disassembly. Getting the pinion off the driveshaft can be troublesome if you don't have a proper gear puller.
400A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #10
JayJay

Hate to sound like piling on, but I agree with the above - start from the beginning and do it right. As Conawayand others state, it’s not that huge a job to do it right if you have the right tools, parts and patience. You will give yourself a feeling of confidence that there is one less thing to worry about.

That will mean removing the spring from the perches so the two axle housings can be individually shimmed. If you have not done so previously, use this opportunity to replace the spring shackle bushings (and the shackles, if necessary). The goal will be to have a solid, dependable rear end to serve you long into the future.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:13 PM   #11
Synchro909

IMO, as much as you don't want to do it, I also think the rear end should come apart. You only need to do the job once if if is done properly. Do it right - do it once, as they say.
You will only then have peace of mind and a sense of satisfaction every time you drive it.