Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Restoring license plates

I tried painting the background first and then rolling on the number paint like they were originally made. It didn't work well for me.

My 2nd try is to first spray on the number color, then clear, then the background, then sand off the background color from the numbers. However, I still sand thru the number color in some spots. I'm touching up with an artist's brush before resanding and respraying clear. I'm using rattle can paint. I bought 10 sets cheaply of various Texas 1949 - 1967 plates that need painting and have a 31 and 28 to do as well.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the guys who charge to restore plates must be spraying the background and manually brushing on the numbers or using my second method and using automotive base/clear that is really hard to sand thru.

Anyone know for sure?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
jim1932

Default Re: Restoring license plates

my maryland plates I bought look to be hand painted on the letters and numbers
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Milton

"I tried painting the background first and then rolling on the number paint like they were originally made. It didn't work well for me."

The roller must be firm. Like a wood dowel with a sheet wrapped around it a couple of times. No knap allowed.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is what I did. Resore the plate metal, prime and paint the raised number color. Once dry, place a sheet of contact paper over the whole plate and rub down on the raised letters. I took an exacto knife and cut around the letters leaving about 1/16 to 1/8 inch hanging off the letters. I then took the base color and tilting the plate while spraying under the hang off and the rest of the plate.

While the plate is tacky I remove the contact paper and spray clear on the plate to smooth the lines. You can use pin stripe tape for the raised edges of a plate.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
quickchange

My method is a little crude but works for me, spray number colour 1st, Bake in oven while wife is away, Im useing spray cans, Then spray background colour , when dry or almost, Take cloth dipped in thinners & wipe the numbers & edges of plate. reveals the baked number colour , I have done a lot this way & results are better than my spelling,( who gives a rats arse if some of us can,t spell), Derek from a wet cooler NZ.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
bobgreco

I recently did a set of 1929 plates and had fairly good luck with applying the number paint with a rubber grouting float using it like a mini-printing press. The trick is to not use a lot of paint. I had to touch up a few areas with a model brush, but the overall results were pretty good.

The attached photo shows the plate before I touched it up with a model brush. I had to fix of few corners and edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (62.9 KB, 338 views)
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Aerocraft

I have done a number of sets of plates for my own cars. After working the metal and filling as required, I prime them with one of the PPG DP series primer colors. I then mix PPG Concept to the correct background color and spray the plates with several coats. When dry, using One Shot, I hand letter the numbers with a brush. That step is actually very easy since mistakes can be wiped off. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-8-5 003a.jpg (85.8 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 3n43k23pf5U05X55R1a8440d5737329ad1762.jpg (39.8 KB, 166 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
My method is a little crude but works for me, spray number colour 1st, Bake in oven while wife is away, Im useing spray cans, Then spray background colour , when dry or almost, Take cloth dipped in thinners & wipe the numbers & edges of plate. reveals the baked number colour , I have done a lot this way & results are better than my spelling,( who gives a rats arse if some of us can,t spell), Derek from a wet cooler NZ.
I did exactly the same thing yesterday (well, almost) I painted the number color and put the plate in the oven to bake but inadvertantly turned the dial to 350, guess I thought I was baking cookies. I came back when I smelled the paint and had burt the color right ought of the paint! Back to the sandblaster & rattle can.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
jimalabam

You are exactly correct in your stated assumptions...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

I have seen some beautifully restored plates, done by applying the number color first, very heavily, then putting on the background color. Then you use rubbing compound to remove the background color from the numbers. Some professionals use this method.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
glenn in camino

When I restore plates, I spray the backround color first, let it dry for a few days, and then hand paint the numbers. I use One Shot enamel, mixed to the right color, for the numbers. I thin the enamel and use a rulling pen to do all the straight lines first. Then I fill in between the lines with an artists brush. I've found that thinning the enamel somewhat lets it flow out and eliminate brush marks. I have a pretty steady hand for painting the curved numbers. I'm not a pro. I just paint plates for myself and a few friends. I think the roller method may work if your plates are really flat, but most old plates are at least a little bent.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
2manycars

I tried the roller method, using a "brayer" from the art store. I found it difficult to do a good job. If the number paint is thick, it leaves little wisps of paint as the roller leaves the plate, and if too thin, it does not cover well. I now do it the hard way, with an artist's brush. It takes me about a half hour to number each plate.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
donQ

I've tried a few techniques and found that the best one for me is to paint the background first and let it dry for a few days. I then use thin striping tape around the raised portion of the numbers and then use blue painter's tape over the back ground and then mist on several coats using a spray can of the number color. Don't put the nimber color on too thick at once .It might bleed under the tape.
Donq
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Kevin in NJ

30 years ago I tried to do the roll method to roll on the paint. It failed miserably.

Since then I talked to a guy who restored plates for a living.

The secret to rolling is a flat glass. You roll out the paint to be real thin. Then with a larger diameter hard rubber roller you roll across. Do not worry about making it in one pass. If you look at original plates they are often not done in one pass. You can see the seam.

This process is like what is done on a printing press. You will see the ink is spread very thin so only the tops of the type get the ink. You also do not want the ink building up in the type.

Hope this helps.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
mrtexas

My latest idea is to let a sign painter do it. I found one old timer here who still hand letter signs.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
wardkew

Here Here to MrTexas. Not as much personal satisfaction as doing it myself, but the plates look lots better than my multiple aborted efforts.
wardkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
mrtexas

Here is the result of the sign painter's work at $20 a plate:

I was somewhat disappointed by all the brush marks but most disappeared after spraying with clear.

Next step is to buy some One Shot enamel and try my hand at it myself. I've kind of caught the license plate collecting bug after buying 10 Texas pairs from a friend, 1949-1967. I've also bought a bunch on fee bay including a 1917!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
Mikeinnj

How were the numbers applied originally by the various States ? I know WHO they had making the plates......
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
How were the numbers applied originally by the various States ? I know WHO they had making the plates......
They were rolled on with a machine.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
hotrodart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
30 years ago I tried to do the roll method to roll on the paint. It failed miserably.

Since then I talked to a guy who restored plates for a living.

The secret to rolling is a flat glass. You roll out the paint to be real thin. Then with a larger diameter hard rubber roller you roll across. Do not worry about making it in one pass. If you look at original plates they are often not done in one pass. You can see the seam.

This process is like what is done on a printing press. You will see the ink is spread very thin so only the tops of the type get the ink. You also do not want the ink building up in the type.

Hope this helps.

I used rattle can paint and One Shot with a roller also.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restored plates.JPG (89.8 KB, 205 views)
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote