Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2023, 05:00 PM   #1
JunkOSC

Default Source for interior pre-cut panels or Templates

I’m having a hard time finding pre-cut un-upholstered panels for my 29 Tudor. Is there anyone making them anymore? I previously used Cartouche in the past…
What about templates that can be printed 1:1 at an office supply store? Trying to save myself as much work as possible 😉
Thank you.
JunkOSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Source for interior pre-cut panels or Templates

You might call Classtique Upholstery. They mention that they have precut panel board for model Ts and As but you have to call them to inquire. They sell yard goods as well for the DIY guys.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
JunkOSC

Thank you rotorwrench!
Old 03-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
JunkOSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
You might call Classtique Upholstery. They mention that they have precut panel board for model Ts and As but you have to call them to inquire. They sell yard goods as well for the DIY guys.
Talked with Classtique Upholstery, they do not offer pre cut panels that are un upholstered.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM   #5
rotorwrench

They used to but times are changing so that's good to know. The only other kit maker is Dixie up in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

I buy waterproofed panel board and cut it myself. The stuff it thick so it's not easy to cut. I either use the old boards as patterns or I make a pattern with large sheet craft paper. Most cars I've worked on never had kits offered like the Fords have had over the years,
Old 03-31-2023, 10:16 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
They used to but times are changing so that's good to know. The only other kit maker is Dixie up in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

I buy waterproofed panel board and cut it myself. The stuff it thick so it's not easy to cut. I either use the old boards as patterns or I make a pattern with large sheet craft paper. Most cars I've worked on never had kits offered like the Fords have had over the years,
Unless you have a CNC laser, it is hard to cut the panels by hand and come out on them. We spend a lot of time using a band saw, laying out for door clips, pockets, etc. that most people would not want to pay for individually.

Ironically, most of my patterns came as drawings from the archives, however the panels that have come from L/B and Cartouche did not match the dimensions of the original prints. I guess it is really about how authentic do you want your panels to be??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:59 PM   #7
JunkOSC

Quote:
I buy waterproofed panel board and cut it myself. The stuff it thick so it's not easy to cut. I either use the old boards as patterns or I make a pattern with large sheet craft paper.
Looks like that’s what I’m going to do. What would you recommend for cutting the boards…jig saw?
Thank you for the reply.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
rotorwrench

I've cut them with a pneumatic reciprocating saw and a blade appropriate for the type of material but a jig saw will work. I've used hole saws to cut for door and window cranks as applicable. I always cut on the long side of the line just a small amount. The edges can and should be sanded to smooth them some and round the edge just a tad. This will get the panel back to proper size. A lot of original clip holes are squared off but they can be cut round as long as a person studies how the clip is going to fit the panel and the door holes The round hole resists cracking better anyway. A person can use a rotary broach cutter for small holes. Like anything of this nature, a person has to take care with the tools used. Most will inflict some damage to the material if a person slips up.

Some folks in the trim trade have gone over to ABS plastic type panel material. That stuff can be cut or routed depending on the design details. It's available in all sorts of different thicknesses. It also holds staples well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:12 AM   #9
JunkOSC

Quote:
I've cut them with a pneumatic reciprocating saw and a blade appropriate for the type of material but a jig saw will work. I've used hole saws to cut for door and window cranks as applicable. I always cut on the long side of the line just a small amount. The edges can and should be sanded to smooth them some and round the edge just a tad. This will get the panel back to proper size. A lot of original clip holes are squared off but they can be cut round as long as a person studies how the clip is going to fit the panel and the door holes The round hole resists cracking better anyway. A person can use a rotary broach cutter for small holes. Like anything of this nature, a person has to take care with the tools used. Most will inflict some damage to the material if a person slips up.

Some folks in the trim trade have gone over to ABS plastic type panel material. That stuff can be cut or routed depending on the design details. It's available in all sorts of different thicknesses. It also holds staples well.
rotorwrench, thank you for your time and wisdom! It’s very much appreciated.
Have a great day!
Old 04-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkOSC View Post
Looks like that’s what I’m going to do. What would you recommend for cutting the boards…jig saw?
Thank you for the reply.
We use a band saw with a 14 TPI blade that I think is 3/16" wide to cut our panelboard. This allows tight turns and the finish on the cut is decent on panelboard. If you have a band saw that you can use, I would highly recommend you purchasing a blade such as that because it will save a great deal of time sanding the edges.

As for the pocket hole, we must use a razor knife and an aluminum template because my machine does not have a blade welder. You likely can cut a template from a scrap piece of plywood and use it as a blade guide to cut it to the correct shape. All of the door clip holes, the window regulator shaft holes, and lock & latch holes are punched with tools we made out of A2. You likely can use something like water pipe that you have sharpened the end, and/or hollow punches available from Harbor Freight to make those holes.

My experience with ABS is very limited however as Kerby has mentioned, it does take staples well however it does not seem to hold glue as well as fiberboard (-maybe because the glue can soak into the paper??), so do your research to make sure this will not be an issue for you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-21-2023, 06:40 PM   #11
JunkOSC

Thank you Brent!
Old 04-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #12
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
My experience with ABS..... it does not seem to hold glue as well as fiberboard (-maybe because the glue can soak into the paper??).
JB Weld makes a plastic specific 2 part glue.

The dimensions are probably here if no one on the site has already bought a set. https://www.thehenryford.org/explore...ion-1903-1957/

When you cut your panels do 2 at once. You'll end up with a R and L in 1/2 the time. For the straight edges use a router and straight edge clamped to the material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1OAuc-nYg

Last edited by ModelA29; 04-21-2023 at 08:19 PM.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:56 PM   #13
Keith True

I always bought my panels pre-cut from LB,and covered them myself.I live close to them,and have an edge binding machine.I liked to watch the panels being cut.Slide the panel board onto the table,program the machine,and watch it zip around.That little air jet did a fast clean job.I miss them being there.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post

The dimensions are probably here if no one on the site has already bought a set. https://www.thehenryford.org/explore...ion-1903-1957/
Yes, that is where I purchased my patterns. The issue is you must find the specific part numbers for each of the 13 panels. I will be happy to provide the original part numbers to the OP if he would like that.

Ironically, we had saved interiors removed from older restorations that used L/B interiors however after L/B went out of business, I made several trips to the archives to get the original prints. What I soon found out was L/Bs panel boards were not the correct dimensions when overlaid onto the original print templates. Therefore all of the L/B patterns were useless to me.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-03-2023, 07:47 PM   #15
JunkOSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, that is where I purchased my patterns. The issue is you must find the specific part numbers for each of the 13 panels. I will be happy to provide the original part numbers to the OP if he would like that.
Brent, I would appreciate it very much if you could please provide those part numbers! Thank you very much. PM sent.
Tim

Last edited by JunkOSC; 08-03-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:03 AM   #16
desotoguy

Clear vinyl from Hobby Lobby or a like store works great for making templates.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote