Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
OLD AS I

Default Sad, sad sad

'48 chev accident claims 3 lives,

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...407-crash.html
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Sad, sad sad

Tragic. Hopefully the tires were not old ones. Something we need to be careful about.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
jimTN

Sounds like another "subframe" failed.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
aussiesteve

JimTN
You are just speculating.
You should wait until you know the facts.
Tragic,sorry for the familys loss
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
okiedokie

I saw no mention of a subframe. Says it was a failed tire on the rear. A sad accident that happens way too often. That it ends with three lives lost is horrible.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

That is sad. I have to wonder though, how fast they were actually traveling, and what type of tires and rims were on this car?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This was a Street Rod with modern upgrades. There was some type of tire/wheel failure that resulted in loss of control and impact with another vehicle.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
zzlegend

Wow, who makes up this shit, "subframe" failed? Three people out having a good time. Sad.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Kahuna

I would really like to know more about the tires & wheels. Type, make, age, etc? And, what really failed?
This is so sad
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
barnfind

The answer might be as simple as a blowout due to a road hazard cut or defective tire.
However the stock fender wells don't allow a very wide tire which are favored by street rodders.

Had several 46 and 48s.....
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
rotorwrench

I hate to hear about this stuff for both the loss of the old vehicle and especially the loss of folks that are basically just like the rest of us. The fact is that tires & wheels can fail and even on late model vehicles. I've had more than a few wheel/tire related failures in my time and have been fortunate that there was no catastrophic accident like this one. Keep a close eye on your wheels & tires folks.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
DavidG

If it is as reported to date, namely a sudden blowout of a rear tire, that is often a recipe for disaster, old car or new, if the driver makes the mistake to hitting the brakes at high speed. The road where this took place suggests the speed traveled was likely between 65 and 75 mph.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
Barlea

Blowouts on the rear will cause sudden loss of steering control, far worse than a front blowout at speed. Few drivers get much experience dealing with tires that suddenly fail since the introduction of tubeless tires. Something to think about when considering running tubes in radials?
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
38coop

We also have to think about the age of the tires on our cars. Just because they look good don't mean that they are.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
funrunr

This is very tragic and could happen to any of us in any vehicle.
This makes me think back to the Ford/Firestone recall on the Explorers.
In one of my DD cars I had a slow leak in one of my tires (fairly new). I procrastinated going to the tire store for a proper repair and instead drove with a low tire plenty of times and just aired it back up once a week. Finally I took the tire in for repair (valve stem leak) the tire was ruined. In between the treads it looked dry rotted with cracks all over it. The repairman explain it was from driving with too low of pressure and needed replaced. I'm lucky it didn't blow. The cracks don't show when the pressure is low unless you distort the tread. Fully air up it looked the desert floor. I pay closer attention to the tread and look for cracks more often.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
GSCOV

Murphy tells us about things going wrong. I'll share a for instance. I had a tire going flat on a 39 coupe. So I take a new tube to Town Fair Tire and have it installed. All is good. On the way home from a local show a friend of mine driving the car had to ditch the car ASAP , the rear tire had gone flat. Thankfully at 30 mph. Had it happened at high speed... And here's the cause- The tire tec guy left a plastic tie in the tire or it flew in from the shop before it was remounted. Unbelievable. Everyone here is jumping in with their stories, and it is how we learn. But leave the detective work to those who have the clues.
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
37 Coupe

This happened to me years ago when having a set of Garfield tires mounted with tubes on '46 Ford rims. Somehow one of those shipping tags with the wire that goes through a red grommet, ended up between tire and tube and rubbed through tube.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrunr View Post
This is very tragic and could happen to any of us in any vehicle.
This makes me think back to the Ford/Firestone recall on the Explorers.
In one of my DD cars I had a slow leak in one of my tires (fairly new). I procrastinated going to the tire store for a proper repair and instead drove with a low tire plenty of times and just aired it back up once a week. Finally I took the tire in for repair (valve stem leak) the tire was ruined. In between the treads it looked dry rotted with cracks all over it. The repairman explain it was from driving with too low of pressure and needed replaced. I'm lucky it didn't blow. The cracks don't show when the pressure is low unless you distort the tread. Fully air up it looked the desert floor. I pay closer attention to the tread and look for cracks more often.
I went through this in the seventies with the Firestone 500 recall. At first the Ford dealer and also the local Firestone dealer would not even check out the tires on my 1976 Torino wagon because the numbers were not in the recall. Tires were squirming and vibrating the whole front end so I knew they were doing what the recall tires were guilty of finally my numbers hit the recall list and I got a replacement set of 700 or something,they did not last either. Bought a brand new '99 Explorer and specified no Firestones,sure enough came in with them. Never had an issue with them except loss of confidence when all the reports were coming in. The replacement tires were Grabber or something like that I never heard of may have been Michelin made. My 2013 Explorer has a Korean or China tire on it 18" supposedly good,30,000 miles no problem,Hankook or something ..