Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default 1918 Touring Pictures Wanted

Can someone post a picture of a completely stock 1918 Touring car or at least a 1918 car? I'm still contemplating that one in my area that is an '18 with a '26-'27 cut-down body on it. I know they say to buy the best one you can afford because cheaper just costs you more later, but this one might be a good way for me to get into the 'T' hobby. I already have a '28 A.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1918 Touring Pictures Wanted

This link is consistent with the 1918 model year.
https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/fo...t-touring.html

The brass car era was pretty much over at the end of 1916. The radiator cowling and hood changed to a more rounded top for 1917 & later. The cowls and firewalls are pretty similar on these WWI era cars so a lot of it goes by characteristics in this day and age and it's harder to tell between some years models. Ford put engine numbers on but no frame number till very late in model T production so most dating is related to the engine number. In 1919 the electric starters started to appear which added the need for a large battery and a generator. Fenders and running boards changed over the years. A person has to know the differences in all the parts that were manufactured during the model T era to be able to tell what year they may have come from. This is why overall characteristics are important to getting a Model T completely original for any particular year model. A person may need more information that what photographs will tell you. The guys on the MTFCA forum likely have more answers than I ever could.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
This link is consistent with the 1918 model year.
https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/fo...t-touring.html

The brass car era was pretty much over at the end of 1916. The radiator cowling and hood changed to a more rounded top for 1917 & later. The cowls and firewalls are pretty similar on these WWI era cars so a lot of it goes by characteristics in this day and age and it's harder to tell between some years models. Ford put engine numbers on but no frame number till very late in model T production so most dating is related to the engine number. In 1919 the electric starters started to appear which added the need for a large battery and a generator. Fenders and running boards changed over the years. A person has to know the differences in all the parts that were manufactured during the model T era to be able to tell what year they may have come from. This is why overall characteristics are important to getting a Model T completely original for any particular year model. A person may need more information that what photographs will tell you. The guys on the MTFCA forum likely have more answers than I ever could.

Thank you! I think that the car I'm looking at is all 1918....except for the cut-down body and hood. Good candidate for a Speedster, perhaps....
Old 02-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
redmodelt

Hallmarks of 1918; Over axle front wishbone. Nonstarter block/hogs head. Forged running board supports. Rear radius rods were unseamed. Round under seat gas tank. Coil box on wood firewall. Low hood/radiator. Combination light switch/horn button on steering column. 30 X 3 front wheels and 30 X 3.5 rear wheels, nondemountable. Bodies were pretty much the same from 1915 to 1921. Oil cowl/tail lights. Magneto powered headlights. Windshield support brackets had the cowl light mounts cast as part of them. Vertical windshield. The list can go on re the differences that makes it a 1918. Just looking at the outside will not tell if it is a 1918, it's all the differences under the hood!
https://www.mtfca.com/encyclopedia/
Old 02-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
mercman from oz

1918 Ford Model T Touring - from the Original Sales Brochure
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
mercman from oz

1918 Ford Model T Touring
Old 02-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
CatMan1

Great pictures! Thanks! Say......did the Model T not have bumpers? I think I just noticed that.....
Old 02-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
mercman from oz

To answer your question - In every illustration of the various Body Styles in the Original Sales Brochure, none show Bumpers.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:53 PM   #9
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
To answer your question - In every illustration of the various Body Styles in the Original Sales Brochure, none show Bumpers.

It's odd that I never caught that before. I'm used to my Model A, I guess.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
mercman from oz

1927 Ford Model T Touring - Illustration from the Original Sales Brochure. From this, we can ascertain that no Model T Ford came with Bumpers as Standard Equipment.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
redmodelt

Bumpers were made by outside suppliers for the aftermarket trade for all years of T's. 1926/27 were the only years Ford supplied bumpers as factory upgrades of dealer installed equipment.