Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Chris

Default Need help finding tune up parts for a Lucas distributor

Hello guys!

I bought this Lucas/Allard distributor at the Hershey swap meet a couple of days ago. I was told it had very little run time on it, but it did run good. The condenser is gone, but I think any condernsor will work.

After getting it home I discovered a crack on the inside of the cap I do not know if it will effect the runability or not.

Does anyone have or know where to source a cap, rotor, points and condensor? I knew they were very hard to find parts for when I bought it, but figured it was worth the gamble? I have heard they run very well on flathead V8's!

Thanks! Chris

Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Ralph Moore

Default Re: Need help finding tune up parts for a Lucas distributor

I would check with Bubba's Ignition Service, he's worked on all kinds, may know a source.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Is there a number on the rotor and cap? If so if I can figure out the manufacturer of each if different from Lucas and may be able to cross reference it with a NAPA number. I have a decent interchange guide. Rod
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
I would check with Bubba's Ignition Service, he's worked on all kinds, may know a source.

Thanks, I did that before I started this thread. He did not have a source for them. Thanks though!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Is there a number on the rotor and cap? If so if I can figure out the manufacturer of each if different from Lucas and may be able to cross reference it with a NAPA number. I have a decent interchange guide. Rod

Thanks Rod, but I am pretty positive NAPA will not have these. I have been told you have to find good originals or NOS caps.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
grumpys hot rods

To Alleviate your problem finding parts, You could that old dist. to me. Awesome distributor!
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Mart

Parts for these come up on UK ebay from time to time. They have a weak point, the rotor arm. Somehow, if the HT load is too high, the rotor arm will "leak" the spark to the shaft, starting from that rivet.

If you use solid core wires, non resistor caps, and keep the plug gaps at .025, it should be ok.

The distributor was designed for industrial applications, rather than as a performance unit, there was a discussion on these units previously on this forum.

Lucas made magneto's which, I believe used the same points, and maybe condensor, but I do know the cap was different. The magneto cap has screw in terminals for the HT leads.

There's a NOS unit on UK ebay, under this item number: 301345892959. If I see some points, condensor or cap, I'll yell.

Here's a thread from here:
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22059

Here's another, but be careful a true "Pilot" distributor is not what you have, but what Ted has in this post. In other words, if a Pilot cap cam up, it might not be the right one for you. Pilots have an 8 lobe cam and points with a narrow heel.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85031

It's got to be worth trying to see how it runs as is, with a condensor fitted externally. The points should be good with a clean, the rotor should be ok, subject to my comments above, and the cap may be ok as is.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
bart78

Pertronix makes a conversion for them. I've never seen any parts for them
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
HotRodmicky

I ran one of these with a fixed cracked cap , different external condesor and a bosch blue
Coil foe years without problems
I had to change the springs of the advance mechanism, they where too heavy.
I used some out of a ball pen :-)
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Jack E/NJ

HRM>>>I ran one of these with a fixed cracked cap , different external condesor and a bosch blue Coil foe years without problems I had to change the springs of the advance mechanism, they where too heavy. I used some out of a ball pen :-) >>>

Yep, these are the type of things you do to get rare or even not-so-rare stuff to work. As for your crack, I think I see it inside your cap. Similar to those I've had inside and outside caps of old antique tractor and M/C magnetos that were arcing all over the place. The fix was simply painting or pouring old-fashioned varnish into the cap and letting it cure for a few days. Lasts for about a year or so before the varnish starts letting loose --- then you just re-varnish the thing for another year. And if you're really cheap like me, it's much more satisfying than shelling out big bucks for rare NOS caps and rotors. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

The parts in yuor picture look to be low mileage, there is a good chance any modern production parts are lower quality, the carbon button in the cap looks near new, the rubbing block on the points is probably just broken in, don't use a file on the contacts, oil stone, or my favorite is a diamond knife sharpener ---i have been reconditioning points on most of the jobs I do because the replacement ones are much lower quality ---if you replace any of the parts keep the old ones for when you have problems with the newe parts you put in
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Jack E/NJ

>>>i have been reconditioning points on most of the jobs I do because the replacement ones are much lower quality >>>

Good 'point', Kurt. But I'll bet you did the same thing in the old days like me even tho' high-quality replacements were available back then. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
Pertronix makes a conversion for them. I've never seen any parts for them
I'm not "calling you" on this, but are you sure? I do remember one forum member did get pertronics to make some units for a lucas distributor, but I seem to remember it was for a Pilot unit, not the commercial unit, and were only for that person and not for general sale.

I could have imagined or dreamt the above, if you are sure pertronics do make parts, do you know part numbers or have links to a site that shows the parts?

Mart.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

points for sale .http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-790508296.htm

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #15
Mart

Those are the wrong points for the commercial distributor. The comm ones have a broad heel, and work with a 4 lobe cam. The ones shown have a conventional narrow heel and work in the Pilot distributor with the 8 lobe cam.

Mart.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
fryguy

I ended up picking this up off of Chris this week. Can't wait for it to get here. I have a great ignition guy real close to me, Mason Ignition. He builds all kind of ignition systems from brass era to modern race cars. He is a genius, an he's a flathead guy to boot. I have a Scintila mag that he built for me for my 8ba. The motor crapped out so I am wanting to try an run this on my 21 stud. I am going to see if he can combine the two, use the mag top on the lucas plate. If not, I am going to have him go over this Lucas and see if its good to run as is.
I'll update as I get more info.

Fryguy
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
scooder

I'll back up my buddy here. Really don't think petronics would build a setup for this ignition. It'd prolly need two four cylinder bits or an eight cylinder thingy (the bit that goes on the distributor cam) custom fitted to go on a four lobe cam. I'd be bloody surprised if they did.
And if they did, it would still have that rotor with that damn stupid rivet. That as Mart stated is the week spot. It does exactly as Mart said, shorts to the distributor cam. For a while Lucas did make the rotors without a metal rivet, the brass part was the same, just had fitted and moulded right in, the plastic came up through the now empty rivet hole and secured it together.
I had one for this ignition, sold it to a guy who wanted it far more than me years ago. And have them for my Cortina and the other halfs Morris 1000, different type of Lucas ignition, but were still lumbered with that rivet for a time, these rotors do turn up from time to time (no metal rivet, just plastic) and last forever.
Martin.
ps heed Mart's advice re plug gaps, solid copper leads and no resistance, this will extend the life of that rotor. Once it shorts from the rivet to cam, it's a goner, with no real fix.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
Mart

A nos cap sold on uk ebay recently for the equivalent of about $50.

Mart.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Cartravel

Nordian Services is the flathead parts dealer in the UK. They will probably have parts. I have an 8 lobe Pilot type with Pertronix in my Allard. I couldn't believe they made a kit for it and none for pre-49 Fords.
Larry
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
scooder

Nordian services is no more. Gone. Shame.
Best place for these parts in UK is a very good friend of mine, Bob Froch (Nervous) he's got a bunch of stuff from when Nordian Services stock was split up after Wally sold it. Wally was Nordian Services, started it when Pontius Pilate was an air cadett.
He's got a web page for contact details.
Good luck on your quest,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote