Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
threepointsmach

Default Best Head gaskets for a 59a 296ci ?

Once again, a flathead newbie asking questions--. I have a 59a bored and stroked to a 296, and want to pull the heads for a problem valve. I'd like to re-assemble the same day,and live very rural, so want to have head gaskets on site. What would be the best brand/type to use? It has aluminum heads. There is a wealth of experience on this site!
threepointsmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Best Head gaskets for a 59a 296ci ?

>>>It has aluminum heads>>>

If it was mine, I'd use plain old composite head gaskets smeared with plenty of wheel bearing grease.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
KiWinUS

Must use “big bore “ gaskets with you 3 3/8” bore size. I would recommend Graphtite gaskets fromBest Gaskets install as Best recommends.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
deuce lover

What KiwinUS said X2
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Be sure you get it right first time as these Best Gasket big bore composite will not last more than one fitting. If you need to remove heads soon after they will delaminate!!
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Kind of depends on whether or not you're a fan of composite gaskets or copper ones.

While I like the Best Gaskets Graphtite gaskets, they are a real pain in the butt to clean off if you pull the heads later on. If I believe I might be checking things out on the motor (or refreshing the valves) in the short to medium term, I go with the copper gaskets from Best instead of the Graphtite ones. They are a heck of a lot easier to remove than having to spend hours chipping away on the delaminated Graphtite (or other composite) type gaskets.

Also, don't buy the Graphtite "clones" from Speedway . . . they play the confusion game on their website and make their own product sound like Best Gaskets - and there are issues with them. They do sell Best Gaskets as well - just be sure what you're ordering.

With that said, I use the Graphtite gaskets most often - other than for more race-type engines where I'll have more frequent tear-downs (like my own). On race type engines that are supercharged and NOT o-ringed, then I use MLS type gaskets from Cometic. They are expensive, but a really good product if you have the correct surface finish on the decks and heads and are worried about boost. Also, Cometic can supply them in a wide range of compressed thicknesses, which can help one tune the quench if need be.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

Frankly speaking, if everything is flat and clean and NOT overtorqued, any gasket, with large bore capability, will work just fine for you. In most cases I would recommend the copper clad gaskets, especially if a disassembly is anticipated.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

Copper 3036, You can reuse then over may times. Torque ti 45 lbs thru 3 heat cycles.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
threepointsmach

I knew I'd get some good info here! Thanks to all! Plenty to chew on----.
threepointsmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Frankly speaking, if everything is flat and clean and NOT overtorqued, any gasket, with large bore capability, will work just fine for you. In most cases I would recommend the copper clad gaskets, especially if a disassembly is anticipated.
Hey JWL . . . you don't even have to preface your post with 'Frankly speaking' . . . it is how you speak and we appreciate you for that very fact!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
alchemy

So you guys reusing your copper gaskets aren't spraying them with coppercote before assembly are you?
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
DavidG

Copper head gaskets speed up the electrolytic cavitation of aluminum heads.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Charlie ny
BANNED

Best source for BEST gaskets is VanPelt.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
Pete

Copper 3036. I spray with aluminum spray can paint and let get tacky before installing.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 AM   #15
deuce lover

I agree with David.I used copper gaskets on my '33 w/orig alu heads after the engine rebuild.Sprayed them with blue Hylomar before installing.After a year they were seeping and foamy yellow stuff was appearing along the top edge at the deck. I switched to "Best" graphite with copper coat.Problem solved.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #16
Ron_r1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Copper 3036, You can reuse then over may times. Torque ti 45 lbs thru 3 heat cycles.
Gramps
What brand is the 3036 head gasket? do you paint the head and block with copper coat or aluminum paint? thanks Ron
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #17
Ol' Ron

Can't find any Aluminum paint anymore, The alum paint sols around here doesn't have any aluminum in it. I've been told to use altex paint. Might try it,
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:18 PM   #18
Ronnieroadster

When I build an engine that's going to have copper head gaskets whether they are composition type copper. Or solid copper which I only use for an all out race engine and ARDUN conversions I simply use silver color spray paint from Rustolium or any equivalent brand.
For torquing my procedure is as follows Torque the head bolts or studs in three steps I like 55 pounds max. Then I check the torque after each heat cycle I do this torque checking for three cycles I wait until the engine has completely cooled off before checking the torque settings.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:48 AM   #19
Pete

Old thread but here is some little mentioned info.

In 1949 we were experimenting with 100% nitro-ethane in a 304 ci flathead Ford engine.
We were using nitroethane as opposed to nitromethane because all this was new to us and the molecular formula looked to be better for our use. This proved out.
Early on we found head gasket problems. The engine had flat top pistons and Edelbrock welded heads. We were using Victor copper gaskets and the manufacturing tolerances those days were not quite as good as later on. There would be places where the fire ring was only half captured which led to early failure. We eventually figured out after looking at and measuring quite a few gaskets that they were all the same but just out of tolerance. By enlarging most of the head stud holes slightly and moving the gasket we found we could get the gasket in a position that the fire ring was back from the edge by at least .010 all the way around. We then drilled the heads for dowel pins while everything was assembled. This assured that all gaskets would go on the same.
Eventually head gasket science on flathead engines led to double O-rings and solid copper which seems to be fairly foolproof, at least for now.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:53 PM   #20
Flathead Fever

I'm against the copper gasket on a street engine because of the electrolysis. They are fine for a race engine where a piston will eventually destroy the aluminum heads, so electrolysis will be the least of your problems. Modern manufacturers use composite gaskets because they help stop electrolysis and they can seal the different expansion and contraction rates of the iron blocks and aluminum heads. Edelbrock says to use Felpro composite gaskets with their flathead aluminum heads. Being a mechanic and seeing those composite gaskets last for 200K or even 300K miles on factory vehicles I won;t use anything else''

I have a Bonneville roadster I got from an elderly neighbor. Its powered by a Boss 302 that went 201 mph. It set the Class "D" Roadster Record at the last Muroc race at Edwards AFB. It has somewhere around 14:1 compression and they were turning it at 11,000 rpms. It does have copper head gaskets but at those rpms I bet the Yates aluminum Nascar heads would have never last long enough to get electrolysis. It's just garage art now. I can't afford to run a car like that. The engine parts alone were over $30K in the 1990s. They did their own machine work and assembly. Where there are extreme pressures copper gaskets are the way to go but on a 8 to 9.5:1 compression flathead they are not needed.

I'll give you an example of electrolysis between aluminum and brass that most of you are probably familiar with. A lot of the new garden hoses are coming with large aluminum threaded ends. I have 11 acres and lot of hose bibs. Every single one of those aluminum ends on a brass hose bib will not come off after just a few months because of the electrolysis between the dissimilar metals have welded them together. Yesterday I had to replace a hose bib that froze, and I could not get the aluminum hose fitting off. I had to cut the end of the hose off to remove the hose bib and then replace the hose end with a brass repair kit. I'm convinced the Chinese are doing this on purpose so they can sell hose parts.

Here is the only engine in my garage with copper head gaskets. I had nothing to do with the build I just got the good friend deal on it. He was going to sell it and I loved going to watch it run and couldn't stand to see it go. Now its collecting more dust than it did at El Mirage. It's a real Model A roadster body on a real boxed '32 frame at least that's the story. It's so modified its hard to tell. At least its Ford powered even if the only actual Ford part is the block. The most vicious small block Ford I've ever heard. It actually put goose bumps on your arms. I will never be able to affords to run it but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I could drive it down to the mailbox and pop the chute. It didn't even come with an owner's manual on how to pack the chute?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 368 Bonneville.jpg (31.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 368 Roadster 003 - Copy.jpg (91.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 368 Roadster 021 - Copy.jpg (64.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 368 Roadster 009 copy 2.jpg (51.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-06-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote