Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #621
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

I agree wholeheartedly with Dale; now it really looks like a '32 Ford.

When you're ready for that final front end touch, the horn, please call or email me as one of the parts that I sent requires a minor modification. Also, I have no idea how a motor driven horn will react to 12 volts.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #622
deuce lover

Regarding the horn.It will be very loud and eventually burn out. Happened to a friend in the 1970's.Putting in a concealed voltage drop might help.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #623
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Did find one minor problem, When I open the door at night the interior lights don't come on like my 2015?

Check the computer
LOL..... Good one
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #624
DavidG

Sheldon,

Thanks; I am not surprised that 12 volts would eventually destroy the motor of the horn.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #625
sugarmaker

Guys,
Yes I had thought about the horn and even though I am not qualified to say I guessed that 12 Volt might not be great for it.
David,
We will talk about the horn more at some point! I love it! But way to shiny for the ragged ol truck!

Dale,
Yes I believe this was a good exchange of lights! The correct headlites look good!

I spoke with David Renner today while I was taking a spin in the truck on some back roads. I had to stop and shut it off to hear him I had two folks stop and ask if I was broke down. There is still hope for humans! I did order some ignition parts for Renners Corner. Those parts may help the running on only two cylinder thing! Not very smooth right now.
He gave me some good tips on using the GAV too.

I also repacked the water pump nut with rope seal this time. It seams to be holding water way better that the graphite rings.

New toy in the shop as Old Ford meets and new Ford 90 years apart. 2021 Bronco with the Big Bend Sasquach package. I like it in the Rapid Red.

Took Cooper for a ride and when we got back he ask if I could put the bed up. I did and he loved it!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 PM   #626
Tinker

David would know best. Being it's a momentary connection it might be okay unlike gauges. The pitch might be higher and it will add stress to the parts over time. I'm not sure about the internal parts of a 32 horn. I pulled my 36 horns open and there is a lot more going on inside then just a motor.

Is that an all electric bronco? Neat stuff. Glad Ford brought back the ranger and the smaller original Bronco design (and the smaller 80s bronco II)

Last edited by Tinker; 10-14-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #627
GB SISSON

Of course I love your '32, but that Bronco is one Badass vehicle!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #628
sugarmaker

Gb,
I agree. But when Jim started the Bronco, the quiet engine sound was pretty dissapointing. Ford should have put a tuned , sound to go with it. Ok at least compared to the 32!!
Alt spacer, and brake adjustment today on the ragged ok truck.
And some rest!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #629
Bob C

Long shot on your miss fire but the distributor bodies have been know
to short between cylinder internally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_21783.jpg (31.8 KB, 43 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #630
DavidG

Tinker,

With respect, an early '32 motor-driven has nothing in common with a '36 or any other vibrator horn. It is truly is powered by a little electric motor and that's all that is inside it plus a disc which the serrations in the gear at the end of the motor rub against to create sound (ahooga).
Old 10-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #631
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Long shot on your miss fire but the distributor bodies have been know
to short between cylinder internally.
Bob,
Your picture helps me understand the internal wiring locations. The way it acts, both 1 ,and 4 have this issue as the red line indicates too.
I am taking this long shot and ordered a new distributor body from Renner's Corner. Also a few other goodies. I suspect the body but, it is getting some spark just seem about 1/2 strength. When running and I short the plug to the engine # 1 and # 4 do almost nothing. # 2 and # 3, just about stop the engine. So it's really running ok on two and not very well on the other two. Sure would be nice if this helped solve the rough running issue. Thanks!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-15-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #632
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
Our Grandson Mike is a lead Service tech at Firestone. He got a new tool box and gave me his old one. It may be a hint for me to get my tools straighten up. Any one that has been here knows I work from a pile of tools. Keeps the memory sharp as to where things were put down. Or you just go find something else that may work.

AC F40 fork lift is a nice tool in the shop:

A little clean up:

Did get the alternator off and added spacers and a little more thermal expansion for the alternator to grow. Also had the bolt in the wrong way and had to remove the entire bracket and flip that, so if the alt needed changed, it could be removed without taking the bracket off.

May get the brakes adjusted on the 32 today? At least that's the plan. Rain delay today!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #633
Bored&Stroked

I'll bet your Grandson was visited by the 'Snap-On' or 'MAC' folks in their nice big rolling shopping centers . . . they love to sell those big-ass tool boxes, full of great tools - with a very high price! For many mechanics, it is kind of a badge of success to have a big red stack of them to call your own.

I still have mostly Craftsman tools - only thing I could afford when I was a kid and am still using the vast majority of them.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #634
cmbrucew

I have Snap on, Kennedy, Proto, Craftsman, and Cornwell boxes. Different stacks for each. As I needed more storage, bought another box for that type of storage.
Bruce
Old 10-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #635
sugarmaker

Dale, Bruce, Folks,
Yes Mike has a VERY nice Big florescent green MAC tool chest now!
I am not brand specific and even Harbor Freight has a place in my shop too.
Friend Scott R came over to visit, and like most folks I put him to work helping on the 32.
Jacked up each corner and set the brake shoe adjusters, tested with the pedal and I really believe its going to improve the brakes from 20% to about 90%. Will see next time I can get it out.
We also tested the body of the distributor. Hooked up the plug straps to just the #1 and #4 plug and the engine ran without # 2 and # 3 even hooked up.
We tried it this way with no change to engine running:

Then this way with no changes, Pretty sure a new distributor body will solve this issue of the shorted cap.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #636
DavidG

Chris,

With respect, I am trying very hard to imagine what would bring you to conclude that hooking up all four spark plugs to the #1 and #4 connections on the distributor body as in your first photo would lead to enlightenment. The second photo makes sense, but in the first I am surprised that you did not encounter some serious back fires, at the very least.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #637
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Tinker,

With respect, an early '32 motor-driven has nothing in common with a '36 or any other vibrator horn. It is truly is powered by a little electric motor and that's all that is inside it plus a disc which the serrations in the gear at the end of the motor rub against to create sound (ahooga). my post... "David would know best. Being it's a momentary connection it might be okay unlike gauges. The pitch might be higher and it will add stress to the parts over time. I'm not sure about the internal parts of a 32 horn. I pulled my 36 horns open and there is a lot more going on inside then just a motor."
Exactly why I said you would know better. Nor said it was the same. The only argumentative to my post is perceived maybe.

Only me saying the momentary electric motor will run 2x as fast under 12v vs 6v and changing the pitch.

All good and much respect to you.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-16-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #638
Tinker

Harbor Freight can be great. It'll either work or break the first time you use it.

I've over the years, going to actions, have picked up a couple 60-80s snap-on boxes for less then 100$. Craftsmens is a decent brand. Usually it is the caster wheels that giveout on the cheaper boxes then anything else, even if the steel is thinner. Knowing where your tools are and being organized is a good thing.

Certainly an interesting way to add the plug straps to the dizzy.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-16-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #639
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
Yea all 4 the plug straps hooked to 1 and 4, just proved not much! We were in, lets try this and see what happens mode, and I take pictures of the good and bad too. But I must say it did not change the way the engine ran compared to all the straps being in correct location. Or any noticeable difference in sound whether 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 were running. Now if you shorted to the block on a plug that were operating well it would run on just one cylinder.
My guess is that there really was some back firing going on too. But not severe. So if the new distributor body doesn't clear this up. We will have to put our heads together again on the cause of this rough running B engine.

I figured you folks would get a good laugh from the straps being moved around too.

Just got back from helping guide my Grandson Nic and two of his friends bringing Nic's 180 lb whitetail buck from my daughters woodlot. It is a beautiful 8 point!
We will survive another winter!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #640
Tinker

I would guess if plugs are firing on non-compression strokes you might get some pre and back firing... Back firing and pre firing could be sticky valves, but....

Nice thing about the straps is you can position them over the plug and they will stay. If it's dark enough in the garage you can see them arc individually letting you know if the cap is bad.

Might want to add a post to the model a side of fordbarn also. As the dizzy is the same. You have a crossover model.

My old 4 banger I sold, i had for a few yrs. Not fb friendly, so I don't post it much. It was like a monkey f' a football driving it with the 5" chop and me 6'2 260lbs. But it was a lot of fun to have for a while. Last picture it's a few feet in the air and the truck has changed a lot...

The model A side helped me a lot as it was a original chassis, engine, and brakes.
Okay to run a couple threads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg modA.jpg (74.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg TandC.jpg (69.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 10-16-2021 at 11:55 PM.