Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Buick woodie wagon

I have a friend who inherited a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Woodie Wagon, and he has asked me for help in selling it: I am most assuredly NOT a Buick guy, but I’m willing to bet there are some on here! Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas on helping this fellow sell this car?
Old 10-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Buick woodie wagon

Like this one? >

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Marcus

Petehoovie: Just exactly like that, except this one is a sort of light blue. Beautiful car, but doesn’t “trip my trigger.” Thank you for posting! I’m hoping for some recommendations other than eBay, BaT, Hemmings, etc (probably should have indicated that originally).
Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Once it goes on those worldwide sites, some dude with a huge checkbook snaps it up.... Lucky for the rest of us, the woodie market has been quite soft as of late. ( Ok , unless you are selling one)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I have a friend who inherited a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Woodie Wagon, and he has asked me for help in selling it: I am most assuredly NOT a Buick guy, but I’m willing to bet there are some on here! Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas on helping this fellow sell this car?
As a thought there must be a Buick Car Club that might be of help. Try looking in Hemmings or Google a Buick Car club. Surely there is info out there. As an aside I believe that hood ornament is called a "Bombadiers sight"? Not sure but I have one hanging in my garage. Been here for decades.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
Jacques1960

Dean Renwick and Mike Nannenhorn just sold similar cars and can provide guidance on pricing and process; PM me for their contact info. Great guys and very knowledgeable.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Bill

Google the National Woodie Club. A club devoted to all things woodie. I believe they are offering a free 6 month on line trial for people to see what the club is all about. Just checked, there is 13 members with '49 Buicks listed across America. There is a classified section every month advertising every marque. Plus parts. Plus interesting stories from members around the world. Been a member for 40 years. I anticipate it as much as Hemmings...I'm a Ford guy but Buick wagons from '40/53 have beautiful lines...Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
Dave/Green Bay

A friend sold one like that and it went to Australia. I would make sure that you use a world wide platform. What about Bring a Trailer

Bring a Trailer: The best vintage and classic cars for sale online
https://bringatrailer.com
Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
mrtexas

Facebook marketplace is free and is seen by a lot of people. Currently have a car for sale there. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...03642105174768

Last edited by mrtexas; 10-14-2021 at 11:51 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
deuce lover

aaca.org. Its all free.Register and place your ad.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
woodiewagon46

As with everything else condition is important. Is all the wood intact, is there any rust, does it run and drive?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #12
Marcus

WOW!! Thank you all, this is exactly the response I had hoped to receive! I’ll certainly pass all suggestions to my friend. In response to woodiewagon46: the car was completely restored several years ago; wood appears to be perfect, no rust, and it runs, drives and stops. Powered by an in-line straight 8, Dynaflow transmission.
Again, thank you FORDBARN Family!
Old 10-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
WOW!! Thank you all, this is exactly the response I had hoped to receive! I’ll certainly pass all suggestions to my friend. In response to woodiewagon46: the car was completely restored several years ago; wood appears to be perfect, no rust, and it runs, drives and stops. Powered by an in-line straight 8, Dynaflow transmission.
Again, thank you FORDBARN Family!
Marcus, If the car is everything you claim it to be, Bring a Trailer should be seriously considered.
Although wood wagons have taken a hit in value in the past five years or so, the Buicks have held on much better than the Ford models.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
Marcus

Kube ~ certainly you know that I value your advice; I’ll be meeting with the family owners over the weekend, and passing along all the “hits” ~ I’ll surely recommend they give serious consideration to BaT. Thank you, Sir!
Old 10-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #15
tomcarman

Just another thought. If a value could be set that's comfortable for your friend there is always Hemmings online auction listings. You can set a reserve and if the reserve is met then the marketplace takes over. If reserve is not met then seller isn't obligated. That way all involved get what they want. Doesn't cost anything to look into it. I'd love to see a pic or 2 of that car even though this is the Ford Barn.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #16
Kube

Marcus, Tomcarman has suggested Hemmings on-line. I have had some good fortune with that venue as well although I'd never auctioned a car through them. I'd listed cars with an asking price on their on-line service.
These days, most folks adding to their collection don't typically read a periodical, they shop on-line.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #17
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Marcus, Tomcarman has suggested Hemmings on-line. I have had some good fortune with that venue as well although I'd never auctioned a car through them. I'd listed cars with an asking price on their on-line service.
These days, most folks adding to their collection don't typically read a periodical, they shop on-line.
That's good to know Kube. Having been a Hemmings subscriber for many years I always regarded their integrity as impeccable. I suppose if I were going to try and sell a car I would certainly look at that option. I peruse the listings and find them well written. It appears all above board. What would appeal to me is I'm setting the parameters on my vehicle and should the reserve be met then the market decides. I also wouldn't have to transport to an auction site, hope it sells and if it doesn't.....More money and time invested....hassles, etc. etc. As stated in my other post it doesn't cost anything to look into.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #18
wga

Marcus, another vote for BaT - Bring a Trailer. There is a results page that you can search, for example, 1949 Buick woodie recently sold.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-estate-wagon/

Link to the results page, scroll down to the search bar, enter Buick woodie, see the results
of (3) that have been sold.

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/

Last edited by wga; 10-14-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add link
wga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:52 AM   #19
mercman from oz

1949 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon - as illustrated in the 1949 Buick Sales Brochure.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:55 AM   #20
mercman from oz

This is the more economical 1949 Buick Super Estate Wagon - as illustrated in the 1949 Buick Sales Brochure.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote