Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #601
Mart

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Wow! That's great. That's exactly what these old things are for, everybody joining in and having fun.
Looking forward to the pics/video.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #602
hd1937

Here is the first long awaited video! Enjoy, more coming.

https://youtu.be/nzSTtn3f8Ew First Start

Last edited by hd1937; 10-12-2021 at 10:06 PM.
hd1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #603
Bob C

"Several more rides and the oil leak subsided"
They'll do that when they run out of oil.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #604
sugarmaker

David, Mart, Jim, Bob,
Thanks! yes better than yesterday, and It still has oil in it. I believe the cork seal may have gotten enough oil to swell and seal?? At least that's the story I am sticking with.
Jim thanks for the link to the truck!
So in talking with John S. who is much more up on these B engines, he feels that the distributor may be a major part of the rough running. He is coming out in the morning for a review of mine.
Jim slaving away on the 32 starter:

Jim adjusting the carb:

What John K drove for breakfast:

Larry and Diane the previous owners of the 32. Very nice to have them come over for the first moves of the truck in about 70 years. Larry owned it for 50 years. but never had it operational.

Lost in the back roads of PA. Out of gas and abandon:

Plate on, now pretty much legal to travel, with hand signals in the daylight:

Found the holes where this light and license had been bolted on from the factory I believe:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #605
hd1937

More first start videos,

https://youtu.be/vbRa_80Jn64 Chris, first drive
https://youtu.be/NlAwmC4IGRk Chris and Larry the former owner
https://youtu.be/-IJDCi2OUnk Larry's first drive in 50 years
https://youtu.be/x7-PkfijzNc John's turn
https://youtu.be/HGMJkOEwvl4 Another first, ran it out of gas
https://youtu.be/S0qKwDHLu4Y Sing it Willy, "On the Road Again"

Enough for tonight, more fun in the near future.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #606
sugarmaker

Jim,
Thanks for first capturing these and then posting them tonight. And for sure spending all day helping me on the 32! Was great fun!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #607
Tinker

Great stuff! It's also great you now know the dump works also. Fun stuff. Thanks
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #608
Mart

Really enjoyed the videos. It can only get better from here. Good video quality, too Jim.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #609
Bored&Stroked

Thanks for the videos Chris - great fun! Did you guys get the distributor figured out?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #610
DavidG

Neat videos, all. Well done!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #611
sugarmaker

Guys,
Jim did a nice job taking and posting these videos for us of the 32 getting out in the daylight!

I played with the truck all day. Guess you would call it tuning??

I took the distributor out and found it had a lot of crud/ dirt build up in the area of the weights. Cleaned this up and installed it, and re- timed the engine,

I must admit I did take the ragged ol truck to town! Went to Cranesville Hardware store.
Got nuts to mount the lights.
Its lights out for me tonight, long day. Will have some pictures in the am.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-14-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #612
tomcarman

Nice job! I'm living vicariously through you wishing I had the skills, tools and knowledge to take on a project like yours. Next step is if you could actually dump a real load out of that old bed, say a load of straw e.g., wouldn't want to see anything break. Watching the videos I was wondering if it could turn right as well as left, then I finally saw a right turn in the last video. Well done, keep them coming and thanks to you and your "crew" for such a great thread!
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #613
koates

Chris, been following your posts and photos from the start, wonderful stuff. Regarding your rough running engine. The 1932 model B carb is different to the very common model A carb in as much as the mixture adjustment which is on the choke knob has to be closed fully or rotated fully clockwise once the engine is running. For starting open the mixture a little or rotate the choke knob anticlockwise about on eighth of a turn to richen the mixture a bit for starting. Of course the choke knob operates in/out as normal. On a model A the choke knob remains open a bit for smoothest running whereas the model B carb is fully closed by rotating fully clockwese. If its left open the engine will run rough or rich. Give that a try and see how she goes. On another note I agree with several other posts that your alternator mounting is too light a material and needs to be twice as thick a gauge as you have used there. Also that long bolt requires a sleeve or tube over its length so that the rear nut tightens up on the sleeve and not push against the cast alloy end bracket of the alternator. The alternator housing expands as it heats up and needs to be able to move lengthways on its rear mounting, and thats why that little sleeve is fitted into the rear alternator mounting hole. You may ask why I state this. Well I have been in the Auto electrical trade for nearly sixty years and do know how these things are supposed to be mounted. Also the model A & B Ford engines are not the smoothest running four cylinder engines around so there is some vibration there more so than a modern engine. Im not sure that I like the 12 volt conversion but then I dont have to like it do I ? Good luck with your project. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:25 AM   #614
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Nice job! I'm living vicariously through you wishing I had the skills, tools and knowledge to take on a project like yours. Next step is if you could actually dump a real load out of that old bed, say a load of straw e.g., wouldn't want to see anything break. Watching the videos I was wondering if it could turn right as well as left, then I finally saw a right turn in the last video. Well done, keep them coming and thanks to you and your "crew" for such a great thread!
Tom
Tom,
We all have different skills. Mine tend to be a lot of brute force and awkwardness! I thank you for taking the time to follow me on the journey with this ragged ol truck. Folks like you help newbies keep plugging away and learning too!

Today I may try to adjust the brakes and see about finding a new set of points.
I am running out of things to tune. And it still seems to have a miss. Distributor may need bushings??

Dumping something? Humm? I will have to think on that one! Mulch comes to mind?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #615
sugarmaker

Kevin,
Thank you very much for the insight into the B carb air mixture setting. I will for sure try that also! Yes plugs said it was running too rich. I will make sure that air mix is closed!

I did not get the spacer for the alternator yet. I forgot. Will try to measure and look for one at the hardware store.

The strength of the alternator support weldment? I feel the design and fabrication is adequate for the job at hand. I basically used material that was very similar to the Ford generator mount that was standard. With my design features to fit the Denso.

By the way if this design does fail, I will let everyone know that too! I learn by doing and testing. And hope someone else can pick up a new project and work on it with a couple ideas I might generate. (no pun intended)

I also worked as a drafter then builder of structural steel fabrications for several years and was Tool Engineer, Program Manager, and Manufacturing Engineer for many years after that. What I do lack in my skills box is electrical background. So I do appreciate your input at any time.

Yes you dont have to like it (12 volt) either, but the truck is not going to get the top chopped or set on a 92 F250 frame! I think Ford would have used this small alternator if it would have been available. Yea he would have used it. Just my opinion!
The real key to any electrical system is keeping it maintained and working. When its not it doesn't matter which one is in there.

One of my goals is to have improved lighting systems on this truck. Right now I have none. It was a little scary going in to the big city yesterday! Pictures coming soon.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-14-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #616
sugarmaker

Folks,
Some pictoral updates to get caught up.
Friend John S. drove out to teach me about B distributors. Getting in and out of one of these is not the easiest thing.

He brought a B distributor and allowed me to take it apart. He also drove the 32 and was not impressed with the brakes! He said it also drove like a old truck!
I did get to test the E brake and it grabbed right away. Something is not right on the drums and I will look at that today. Maybe just need some additional adjusting?

So later I did take my distributor apart and it needed a real good cleaning and light lube. The weights were not moving due to accumulated dirt. Mounted a new condenser on a bracket off the back of the base. It didnt run any better with the new condenser, so the old one is probably OK too.

This was a small rubber coated clamp in its prior life:

Took the 32 to the store: Got a bunch of waved thumbs up and smiles on the way also:

Added the headlights:

Drove the 32 over to Grandsons house and he moved it around a little:

Did find one minor problem, When I open the door at night the interior lights dont come on like my 2015? Humm!

Hope you folks are having a great day!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-14-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #617
deuce lover

Did find one minor problem, When I open the door at night the interior lights dont come on like my 2015?

Check the computer
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #618
flatford8

Great job Chris !….. thanks for the ride! ….. so is the official name for this vehicle “The Ragged ‘Ol Truck”?….I think it fits !…..once again, this has been a great thread….. Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #619
Als48

Right Chris, I'm thoroughly enjoying your thread. I'm also a tractor guy. I've recently rebuilt and painted the '54 Ford NAA my grandad bought new. It's always been in the family. Had to re-sleeve that engine, so I went with the overbore giving it about 141 cubic inches instead of 134. My son also blew a head gasket on my late dad's 851, so I just finished replacing that along with new rings and bearings and a valve job. I was surprised that this engine was also the 4" sleeve overbore size, giving it a displacement of around 180 cu. in. instead of 172.
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #620
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris . . . nice to see my lights up on your truck - they do make the front end look a lot better. Keep the stories and pics coming!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote