Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
frnkeore

Default Valve adjusting

How many here set their valve clearance, with the engine hot and running?

Frank
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
Jim44

Default Re: Valve adjusting

What am I missing? If a Ford V-8 flathead is ready for valve adjustment, the intake must be removed for access. The engine might still be hot, but it won't be running. Perhaps the question refers to a flathead with overhead valve conversion, as maybe Ardun heads??
Jim44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
Tinker

its a question though.

it can be done actually if you have the right equipment. most everyone does not. nor is really needed.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-31-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:01 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
its a question though.

it can be done actually if you have the right equipment. most everyone does not. nor is really needed.

I, for one, would be very interested in a description of what the "right equipment" might be. I cannot imaging how it would be done. Would someone be able to post a picture of it in use? I'd very much like to see how it is done.

Last edited by tubman; 08-31-2019 at 02:06 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:09 AM   #5
Tinker

tubby, there are intake stacks that allow you to access the valley and run a intake. I'll get you some pictures.

heres one set.

https://www.imgrumsite.com/post/B1wW-fFHPFX

heres another..,
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...151-1798297924

not sure anyone ever really used them

Last edited by Tinker; 08-31-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
frnkeore

Here you go, one of the mechanic tools that are now, long gone, like the tool to adjust the brake anchors. You might see them on Ebay but, I doubt the the seller would know what they are.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riser.jpg (37.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:15 AM   #7
tubman

Amazing! Now that they had access to them, I still don't see how they could adjust the valves. With regular Ford (non-adjustable) lifters, it would be impossible to do anything as far as I can see. Even with adjustable lifters, I don't see how it could be done. Those old Johnson wrenches that were supplied with their adjustable lifters are almost impossible to use on an engine that isn't running. I don't see how they could be used in a running engine. The diagram in Frank's post shows a D/L carburetor, meaning these were of '32-'33 vintage; did adjustable lifters for flatheads even exist back then? I don't believe any flathead Ford came from the factory with adjustable lifters; they are an aftermarket performance item only. I highly doubt that KR Wilson made specialty tools for hot rodders in the early thirties.

Are you guys sure these "accessories" were designed for valve adjustment, and not just for inspection of a running engine's valve train? Has anyone ever tried to do it?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
chap52

I remember doing, attempting to adjust the valves on my first car, a 1954 Ford 2 dr Wagon with the valve covers off and the engine running. Don't think I ever figured it out trying to adjust a moving rocker arm. All I can actually remember was the BIG puddle of oil in my folks driveway that I had to deal with.
As a sixteen year old I had all the answers, could look like I knew what I was doing and make others shake their heads in agreement...Then I joined the military... The older I get the more I realize that there is a lot I never knew... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
tubman

One of the advantages of the SBC and similar engines is that the lifter adjustment point is stationery so adjusting them is possible with the engine running. It is much more difficult when the adjustment point is constantly reciprocating and spewing hot oil, as "chap52" points out. Now add to this trying to work in the confines of the liter valley in a flathead with the "Mickey Mouse" lifter wrenches, and the task becomes impossible. And this is positing the use of adjustable lifters that were probably unavailable at the time the risers shown were developed.

Sorry gentlemen, those risers may exist, but I don't believe they were ever intended as a way to adjust the valves. They were probably intended for display or observation purposes only.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
Gary in La.

Those are KRW manifold risers and a quote from the KRW catalog states "hunting for noisy valves". "They will give you the inside picture". Not used to adjust the valves but to locate valves needing adjustment.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Anteek29

Never knew about those manifold risers...I always learn something new on the Forum.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm seen the raised manifolds before, but not sure how it could be used to adjust the valves. I have never seen it done and don't see how it could be. Would be really interesting with a high lift cam!!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #13
frnkeore

The adjustment would come after finding the valve or valves that needed to be adjusted.

My real point was to see if there were very many that still knew of this devise I didn't, I found it in the book, Ford V8 Cars and Trucks ('50 revision), a 896 page book that has every detail of the early Fords.

My dad worked at a Authorized Ford rebuilder, from '46 to '51 and had a few tools, made for working on FH's.

He had a timing devise that bolted to the timing over (anyone have a picture of that), to set the valve lash (I don't have that now) and "dumby" valve guild that you use for the mushroom valves, I still have that, as well as a Stromberg, jet wrench and many old Snap-On and Blue Point tools. I keep them all in his 6 draw, Snap-On tool box (draws still slide smoothly), that he gave me when I became a mechanic, in 1962, after HS.

Frank
Old 08-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
supereal

Stock flathead valves are adjusted by grinding the valve shafts on the lifter end. We have a very old tool set that will get us close, When we rebuild an engine we use the adjustable lifters with the self lockers. Many years ago, even with great care, it seems we always had at least one noisy valve. Taking the intake manifold off is no small job, as most know, but the only way to fix the problem.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Gary in La.

Over the years of swap meets and looking thru old dealer stuff I have seen probably 4 or 5 of these. BUT, the special gas canister and fittings were never there. I always passed them up hoping to find a complete set up, but never did.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
petehoovie

KR WILSON MANIFOLD RISER

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 08-31-2019 at 02:41 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
frnkeore

These are two types of dummy guild that I have, I'm sure there are others.

The one on the left, is a K-D, the one on the right, was the one I got from my dad. It's a Rimac and in my opion, a better design.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valve Guild.jpg (42.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Valve Guild 1.jpg (40.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
frnkeore

That's a great close up picture, Pete. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #19
glennpm

I have clips that I bought to hot adjust SBC valves. The clips slip over the end of the rocker arm and block the oil hole in the rocker from the supply oil up the push rod. I got these after making a real mess a few times. The hot oil wasn't fun either!

I ended up measuring the hot to cold clearances and adjust them cold now. The difference is .001" greater for the intake and .0015 for the exhaust on my cam.

Not applicable for the Flathead of course but I thought it might be interesting to some of you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
One of the advantages of the SBC and similar engines is that the lifter adjustment point is stationery so adjusting them is possible with the engine running. It is much more difficult when the adjustment point is constantly reciprocating and spewing hot oil, as "chap52" points out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy rocker arm.jpg (16.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0916.jpg (39.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0917.jpg (44.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0919.jpg (20.7 KB, 6 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #20
Pete

Those risers could be of good use if you wanted to look at the valve train with a strobotach while the engine is running.
We use a variable speed electric motor to drive the engine for that operation, lots less oil mess.

Last edited by Pete; 09-01-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote