Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
quickchange

Default 35-36 steering box

Need too replace worm & sector 15-1 in 1935 steering box however not all available new, QUESTION can we use the 17-1 1936 worm & sector in the 35 box ?? part no 68-3575 & 68-3524 both RHD but should not matter,
My thoughts yes but to be sure ask the helpers here, thanks in advance, Derek in NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 35-36 steering box

I wouldn't rebuild either of those boxes. The '37 box is an easy replacement, and is much better than the earlier boxes. Use the '37 mounting bracket with new holes, and use the '36 arm.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
quickchange

Its a 35 3 window, Had BIG $$$ spent on it , concourse car, must be kept original ,
Just need to know can we swap listed 36 worm & sector for 35 box , Im told you can as are the same , just need it confirmed, Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
ford38v8

I can't answer that question, but wouldn't have suggested the '37 if I'd known it was a Concourse car. Good on ya!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

The 36 box has a needle bearing on the sector shaft, while the 35 box has a bronze bushing on the sector shaft. The material and/or heat treat would be different for these shafts, using these two bearings, but "IF the bearing diameter on the shafts are identical", the 36 shaft would likely work in either bearing, but the 35 shaft would not work well in a 36 needle bearing, IMO.

The correct worn gear would need to be used with either sector gear.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Brian

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yes Derek, chuck those 36 components into the 35 case. Apart from the ratio, and 36 having needle rollers, everything else will interchange.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
quickchange

Brian Thanks that what we wanted to hear, Thought so, Thanks to all,
Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
DavidG

If you believe that the LHD and RHD worm and sector gears are the same and you install LHD gears in your RHD steering box, you will end up having to turn your steering wheel counterclockwise to make a right turn and clockwise to make a left turn. It certainly would be novel, but likely something of disaster in an emergency situation. The local police might not see the humor in it either.

RHD worm and sector gear teeth are cut at angles that are the opposite of the angles on the LHD gear teeth. The basic part numbers for both the '35 and '36 RHD sector and worm gears are the same as the LHD versions with one monumental difference in the prefixes, namely the addition of a capital F at the end of the 48 and 68.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
quickchange

They are different both the worm & sector , Have both LHD & RHD model A ones & very different, Did put lhd ones in a rhd housing & yes turn right to go left ,Great gymkhana vehicle, ???? It was in a timed wiggle woggle event ,Blind fold driver & get Navigator to give directions, They shout right to go left ??
Thanks new parts ordered ,
Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If you believe that the LHD and RHD worm and sector gears are the same and you install LHD gears in your RHD steering box, you will end up having to turn your steering wheel counterclockwise to make a right turn and clockwise to make a left turn. It certainly would be novel, but likely something of disaster in an emergency situation. The local police might not see the humor in it either.

RHD worm and sector gear teeth are cut at angles that are the opposite of the angles on the LHD gear teeth. The basic part numbers for both the '35 and '36 RHD sector and worm gears are the same as the LHD versions with one monumental difference in the prefixes, namely the addition of a capital F at the end of the 48 and 68.
Good catch on LHD vs RHD gears David.

Do you know of any other complications when installing 36 sector and worm gears in a 35 box as long as left vs. right drivers sides, for sector and worm gears, are kept correct?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post

Do you know of any other complications when installing 36 sector and worm gears in a 35 box as long as left vs. right drivers sides, for sector and worm gears, are kept correct?
Yes, they have different accents, and sometimes use a different language altogether.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
DavidG

John,

I've restored both, including a '36 earlier this week, and I'm confident that you can interchange the worm and sector gears (obviously in pairs). I doubt if any of us will live long enough to run afoul of the possible differences in the metallurgy of '35 and '36 sector gears because of the change from bushings to needle roller bearings. I've added the bearings and modern grease seals to all my '32-'35 sector housings.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Brian

Honestly- why would there be any different heat treatment? Both sectors, [although 36 originally ran in needle rollers], are case hardened.... As is the worm.... The two mesh/work together. Think about it.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Viv W

Hi All,
I have recently been rebuilding my 35 RHD steering box and found a chunk out of the worm. I had a 36 RHD steering box which I stripped to use the worm and sector in my 35. I can tell you from experience THE PARTS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE.
Mac's antique ford parts list new replacement RHD worms and sectors for both the 35 and 36 models. Look carefully at the part numbers for these parts and also the bearings for the worms. The bearings are a different part number and size and are not interchangeable.
Regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
DavidG

Viv,

You raise an excellent point because the upper and lower bearings and bearing races were changed with the '36 model. However, the outside diameter and depth of the bearings and races are the same as those used from '32 through '35. So, you can use the '36 worm and sector in a '35 box if, and only if, you use 68-prefix bearings and races and not B-prefix bearings and races.

The B-prefix and 68-prefix bearings and races look identical to the naked eye, but the angles of the races, bearing rollers, and the bearing surfaces on the worm gear are slightly different and they are not interchangeable, hence the change in the part numbers.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
Andy

Is there a trick of telling the early bearings from the later ones. I have a box of mixed parts. Some have dark separators and some are shinny. Is that a clue and which is which????
Thanks
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
DavidG

I don't think that's a reliable way to distinguish the difference. If the bearings are out of their original boxes, the surefire way to tell is to place them in their race and then on a '36 worm gear. None of the bearing surface on the worm should show nor should any part of the race protrude above the top of the race. Conversely, you could try the same process with a '32-'35 worm gear.